refused to provide an interpreter

E

eternity

WHen I was 15 1/2 years old. I called the district school to provide me an interpreter and head of district who refused to provide one for me also that area where I live they do send deaf/hoh people to RU h.s. (redford union h.s.) for ORAL program but I am not. I told the head of district if she refuses to provide one for me and I ll tell ADA on you. She was like ok ok i ll try to get one for you. For Driver Education :o

what a DUMBASS is she?

That bitch! I oughta smack her around for doing that! Grr!

Later when my driver education class starts for just 2 1/2 weeks. I got an interpreter which from my old h.s. I thought it was funny to have her around.

Anyway, during in my driving education class. One lady told my interpreter that she is PROHIBITED to interpret for me for write some notes and take some tests. I started to protest. I told her it's my right to have my interpreter and told her if she refused to let her continue to interpret for me and I ll have to file the ADA against her and that school plus my interpreter was going to show her right too. Then she realized and apologized so she allowed her to continue to interpret for me. For only 2 weeks and half and I passed that class. Even though I am the ONLY ONE deaf in that class out of 50 students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by eternity
Later when my driver education class starts for just 2 1/2 weeks. I got an interpreter which from my old h.s. I thought it was funny to have her around.

Anyway, during in my driving education class. One lady told my interpreter that she is PROHIBITED to interpret for me for write some notes and take some tests. I started to protest. I told her it's my right to have my interpreter and told her if she refused to let her continue to interpret for me and I ll have to file the ADA against her and that school plus my interpreter was going to show her right too. Then she realized and apologized so she allowed her to continue to interpret for me. For only 2 weeks and half and I passed that class. Even though I am the ONLY ONE deaf in that class out of 50 students.

wow you are so guts and brave I applaued and proud on you. Way to go. :thumb:

If I remember right, there was a law passed in 1973 that guarantees you the right to an interpreter at school. I could be wrong. I never had an interpreter when I went to school from K to 12th grades.

Yeah, you are right, Deaf258... That's the Education Act of 1973 or something like that. It basically opens all the local schools to special needs students, who would otherwise have had to go to a school far away. But I don't know about interpreters... I think thats where ADA comes in.

I was just wondering that.. well its sort of the same thing as eternity (which u did a great job by the way!), I have a job interview coming up.. and there isn't an interpreter provided for it, and mom goes- well its too late, it wont be possible to do it.. but I'm not sure of that either. this job is sort of associated with communication with the other hearing people.. and I'm afraid that if I do get an interpreter for the job interview, they will see it as that I can't communicate with other hearing people (When I can..)
Can you help me out please?

Originally posted by Amby
I was just wondering that.. well its sort of the same thing as eternity (which u did a great job by the way!), I have a job interview coming up.. and there isn't an interpreter provided for it, and mom goes- well its too late, it wont be possible to do it.. but I'm not sure of that either. this job is sort of associated with communication with the other hearing people.. and I'm afraid that if I do get an interpreter for the job interview, they will see it as that I can't communicate with other hearing people (When I can..)
Can you help me out please?

http://www.nad.org/infocenter/infotogo/legal/accom.html

Look closely at this-

29 C.F.R. Š1630.9(a). A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done to enable a qualified individual with a disability to have an equal employment opportunity. The ADA requires reasonable accommodation:

to ensure equal opportunity in the application process
to enable an employee to perform an essential function of a job
to allow an employee to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment.
Reasonable accommodations include telecommunication devices for the deaf (TTYs), amplified telephones, visual alarms, assistive listening systems, visible accommodations to communicate audible alarms and messages, and, for deaf employees who rely on sign language, provision of qualified sign language interpreter services. For some individuals and for some jobs, it may be necessary to have interpreter services available on a regular basis. For other employees or for job applicants, occasional interpreting on an as-needed basis may be sufficient. The ADA requires employers to make sure that deaf employees or job applicants can communicate effectively when necessary. This includes special occasions and meetings, training, job evaluations, and communication concerning work, discipline or job benefits. It also includes regular work-related communication and employee-sponsored benefits and programs.

Originally posted by Pure Ion
http://www.nad.org/infocenter/infotogo/legal/accom.html

Look closely at this-

29 C.F.R. Š1630.9(a). A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done to enable a qualified individual with a disability to have an equal employment opportunity. The ADA requires reasonable accommodation:

to ensure equal opportunity in the application process
to enable an employee to perform an essential function of a job
to allow an employee to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment.
Reasonable accommodations include telecommunication devices for the deaf (TTYs), amplified telephones, visual alarms, assistive listening systems, visible accommodations to communicate audible alarms and messages, and, for deaf employees who rely on sign language, provision of qualified sign language interpreter services. For some individuals and for some jobs, it may be necessary to have interpreter services available on a regular basis. For other employees or for job applicants, occasional interpreting on an as-needed basis may be sufficient. The ADA requires employers to make sure that deaf employees or job applicants can communicate effectively when necessary. This includes special occasions and meetings, training, job evaluations, and communication concerning work, discipline or job benefits. It also includes regular work-related communication and employee-sponsored benefits and programs.

Thank you! I appreciate it! :bowdown:

Way to go!! You have a right to get interpreter for your drivers education class. It is important to recieve information. RME at stupid lady.

Back