Redifining D-E-A-F by Ryan Commerson

I admit I didn't know that myself, dreama. Thanks for explaining. It doesn't come as a surprise me to though because back in that time when black people did things it never "counted."

Really? :wave: Where are these people? Can I meet them?

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But I really would like to meet some more people that actually know that deafblind people are capable too. The vast majority of people I come across don't think the deafblind can do anything.

I agree. The capability of Deafblind people definately has to be raised. While it's good that the Deafblind are given communicator guides to use, the general public also need to know that sometimes some deafblind people can manage without them.

I can go to a restaurant for instance totally without any interpreter. I do get help off bus, then I have learnt to get to the restaurant with my long cane. I could manage a lot more then that when I had more useful sight but now I'm only just getting my life back on track. The attitude towards me has changed.

As for Helen Keller and the failed Marriage, I think it was the Kellers who objected to their daughter getting married?

Really? :wave: Where are these people? Can I meet them?

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But I really would like to meet some more people that actually know that deafblind people are capable too. The vast majority of people I come across don't think the deafblind can do anything.

Maybe, it is because I live in the DC area ...one of the most open-minded areas in the U.S. when it comes to deafness and deaf-blindness. :dunno:

Interesting point of view but I wonder if back in those days, there was a belief that people like Helen Keller couldn't be independent. Today, most people know that it is possible but I dont know about the 19th century?

interesting, they thought the same for deaf people, so whats the difference?

of that, surely i can see Souggy's point, the teacher heralded as heroes the pioneering, ok granted it was them who noticed the injustice and did the action to help out but also Helen Keller had to work hard too, again though it was that HK was from the wealthy background so for that time in history 'she was deemed worthy of help since the class factor was so intensified'.
More interestingly, at present we are continually, at uneven paces; reversing the tread towards class-deviated health/disability rights in other words, it is increasing becoming relevant that only the upper middle/upper class disabled people getting the attention since they have the funds to cover, or nearly- with 'appropriatation with being able to afford expensive health insurance plans'.

just my 2 cents

interesting, they thought the same for deaf people, so whats the difference?

of that, surely i can see Souggy's point, the teacher heralded as heroes the pioneering, ok granted it was them who noticed the injustice and did the action to help out but also Helen Keller had to work hard too, again though it was that HK was from the wealthy background so for that time in history 'she was deemed worthy of help since the class factor was so intensified'.
More interestingly, at present we are continually, at uneven paces; reversing the tread towards class-deviated health/disability rights in other words, it is increasing becoming relevant that only the upper middle/upper class disabled people getting the attention since they have the funds to cover, or nearly- with 'appropriatation with being able to afford expensive health insurance plans'.

just my 2 cents

I dont know about that.

I just never saw it from that perspective about Ann Sullivan. I was taught that she was the hero who saved Helen Keller from a mental institution.

I dont know about that.

I just never saw it from that perspective about Ann Sullivan. I was taught that she was the hero who saved Helen Keller from a mental institution.

yes, all this you learnt was true, all i was trying to point out, is like a 'critical perspective of historical accounts' by that, to be able to see suggestive narratives, like indeed Ann Sullivan was Helen Keller's hero, her saviour from the asylums or such, um, its the way its bigger picture being outlined while all facts are true, just arranged to a certain 'final picture' like, Helen Keller was rescued, became an overcomer, Ann Sullivan was a saint, she rescued and took the time to teach HK. what's out of the picture, is the class factor at play, the portrayal of the blind has changed from 'useless' to 'needy' a step up. In the present day, 'needy' is label not proud of, but back in the days it was 'good label' as it imply a form of social obligation (good but it hides another picture) to see blind people as more people-like only they need help (at the time),independence was unheard of, rehabiliation wasn't even in the dictionary (well im not sure, but for argument's sake, heck it would be good if the internet does have a scanned copy of OLD dictionary to compare/identify - i just wouldnt be surprised , perhap word did existed but not defined the same way as it is now, like this, the language is dynamic, dictionary is merey is a 'snapshot' for reference of the language of that particular epoch.

now only language was covered (pithly) but also different were attitudes, and indeed 'understanding' which reflects different stages of conscientisation of the public, family along the historical plane. Understanding of the 'needs' of blind people, deaf people had changed gradually and often were perceived 'natural' for each and every different epoches. Now, notice i put needs in brackets? that is to illustrate needs wasnt around, but needy, and deserving. Well to be honest, I dont know if i explained well today, i'm really chuffed but i hope this is received well.
:)

There's a notion among the people I interact with that the only reason why Helen Keller is so successful is because of Ann Sullivan's works and that Sullivan "saved" Helen Keller. As a result, there is this backward thinking that the deafblind can't function without hearing people guiding them throughout all their life.

To be honest, it is the other way around-- without Keller's success story, Sullivan would not be famous at all. It doesn't really help that Sullivan deliberately try to sabotage Keller-- her marriage is one that come to mind, throughout the rest of her life so that Keller would be "dependent" on Sullivan. A good teacher, no matter how skilled they are, should recognize when it is time to let go of their pupils. Sullivan never did.

Notice that The Miracle Worker, which is the only manuscript that general public is familiar concerning Helen Keller, is centric around Ann Sullivan?

Excellent and quite valid points, souggy.

I dont know about that.

The fact that Anne Sullivan is a teacher doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is how The Miracle Worker was written, plus how closely intertwined the two were throughout their lives. Helen Keller operates as if she is an independent person in our eyes, however if you look at the letters exchanged at the time... it is quite disturbing how much Sullivan influenced Keller's events. That is morally wrong, in my opinion, to have a major say in someone else's major life events.

It's almost like Sullivan used Keller's successes to keep herself afloat. So you can see why I don't get why deaf people like to bash other people's successes. As long their mentors, teachers or any other outside influences are not riding on them for fame, whatever that successful deaf person do is fine in my boook.

The fact that Anne Sullivan is a teacher doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is how The Miracle Worker was written, plus how closely intertwined the two were throughout their lives. Helen Keller operates as if she is an independent person in our eyes, however if you look at the letters exchanged at the time... it is quite disturbing how much Sullivan influenced Keller's events. That is morally wrong, in my opinion, to have a major say in someone else's major life events.

I have to agree with your conclusions. There was no attempt made to empower Helen Keller. The focus was on keeping her dependent.

raycharles still only was good to give the crowd, not because he was blind but his music, in same vain marlee was taught well how to act (wonder who did, dont fobb me off that she taught herself! no way on earth what , the way she acted is professional scale no bones about it) basically the way she acted appealed to the crowd (principally the hearing masses/producers) then so the rest of the media users followed suit because they dont know better (because on the receiving end, after all they dont have the skills to judge acting, only as consumers) Im not entirely sure about 'if she done anything for Deaf culture lol, 'that is highly debatable' i wont want to argue on and on and on, because frankly i dont really care except that i plainly refuse to be sucked in thinking she represents the reality of Deaf people - she /producers of tv/films isnt even close, it is like i said before well orchestrated , well crafted, carefully selected,, made seemless enchancing the realism. authenticality, and indeed it is no chance for ANY media to be completely independent of ideological assumptions, Period!

I know Marlee personally, she and I went to the same school together, she learned acting from Center on Deafness which is now stationed at Northbrook IL, Center On Deafness

I dated her best friend who still lives in Chicago. Her name is Tracy.

Anyway, she looked way different from the movie she first starred in, she's a natural red head, had curls and wore a "cats eye" glasses.

When I saw her film, I was shocked how different she looked, far beyond what she looked back then.

She grew up acting, doing various stage plays, like Annie, Wizard of Oz and the likes.

Yiz

It's almost like Sullivan used Keller's successes to keep herself afloat. So you can see why I don't get why deaf people like to bash other people's successes. As long their mentors, teachers or any other outside influences are not riding on them for fame, whatever that successful deaf person do is fine in my boook.

hmm , thats a good point too, lets get organised to burn down the hearing TOD's houses

I know Marlee personally, she and I went to the same school together, she learned acting from Center on Deafness which is now stationed at Northbrook IL, Center On Deafness

Anyway, she looked way different from the movie she first starred in, she's a natural red head, had curls and wore a "cats eye" glasses.

When I saw her film, I was shocked how different she looked, far beyond what she looked back then.

She grew up acting, doing various stage plays, like Annie, Wizard of Oz and the likes.

Yiz

oh, you're lucky !!
how hot is tracy?:naughty:

There's a notion among the people I interact with that the only reason why Helen Keller is so successful is because of Ann Sullivan's works and that Sullivan "saved" Helen Keller. As a result, there is this backward thinking that the deafblind can't function without hearing people guiding them throughout all their life.

To be honest, it is the other way around-- without Keller's success story, Sullivan would not be famous at all. It doesn't really help that Sullivan deliberately try to sabotage Keller-- her marriage is one that come to mind, throughout the rest of her life so that Keller would be "dependent" on Sullivan. A good teacher, no matter how skilled they are, should recognize when it is time to let go of their pupils. Sullivan never did.

Notice that The Miracle Worker, which is the only manuscript that general public is familiar concerning Helen Keller, is centric around Ann Sullivan?

Hmm.. I hadn't thought about it this way.. You raise an excellent point here.

Yiz

Hmm...so did my wife went to the same school as Marlee in Illinois. And became friends with her.

Back