Recruitment and Hearing Aids

CrazyInWeston

Reaction score
I have Recruitment, and I'm profoundly deaf. I tried the old analogue aids years ago, when I was 6yrs old they were no help for me, you could speak french and the words to me were the same, I could 'hear' you but I cannot understand you as all they did was amplify sounds. My hearing when it comes to speech is GARBLED.
Anyway I'm now 30yrs old and after years and years of my mum pushing me to try the new 'digital' aids ive taken the plunge, but I still have the same fear - that I'll 'hear' the noise but cannot understand the noise if you know what I mean. How will these 'digital' aids help me if all I can hear is garbled nonsense?

Digital Hearing Aids are programmed to your specific Hearing Loss Frequencies, only amplifying what you need amplified.

I have a buddy of mine with recruitment (he has CIs now but did started with hearing aids before that)

Targeted Amplification & Digitized Sound. Like comparing a cassette tape with a compact disc.

Okay so I'm now being prescribed on the UK NHS with these 'skeleton' moulded hearing aids. I dont get it, why are there these differences? What does the mould do? You'd only hear from the mic input of your aids anyway.

I think skeleton moulds allow one's ears to "breath" somewhat...and allows scratching an each ear. :) The mics pic up the sound, the processor processes the sound and tries to make it a sound easier for you ear/brain to understand. The processor sends the sound down the tube through the mould into your ear. For people with severe-to-profound loss, a full mould is usually best (at least those of us with low freq loss) to minimize feedback. I don't know if I could have used skeletons for my loss or not.

Okay so I'm now being prescribed on the UK NHS with these 'skeleton' moulded hearing aids. I dont get it, why are there these differences? What does the mould do? You'd only hear from the mic input of your aids anyway.
Skeleton molds are custom made to fit your ear canal and the Concha portion of your ear to basically "lock" them in and are customized to fit your hearing loss by either putting in different size vents to allow LF sound in or no vents if your LF hearing loss is above I believe 40dB.

I have Recruitment, and I'm profoundly deaf. I tried the old analogue aids years ago, when I was 6yrs old they were no help for me, you could speak french and the words to me were the same, I could 'hear' you but I cannot understand you as all they did was amplify sounds. My hearing when it comes to speech is GARBLED.
Anyway I'm now 30yrs old and after years and years of my mum pushing me to try the new 'digital' aids ive taken the plunge, but I still have the same fear - that I'll 'hear' the noise but cannot understand the noise if you know what I mean. How will these 'digital' aids help me if all I can hear is garbled nonsense?
So you weren't aided until you were 6 years old? If yes, than you might of missed the window of learning speech and that could be why you can't understand it.

Back