Dismal Shadow

"Yours. Not mine."
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jam's Ubuntu - Why Ubuntu Linux Is Better Then Windows

10+ Reasons Why Linux Ubuntu is Better than Windows

Why Linux is better

101 reasons why Linux is better than Windows | Prakash Advani's Blog

Cost - That Linux is FREE deserves honorable mention and a bit of explanation. You can package and sell Linux for money. The competing Linux distributions all provide slightly different feature sets beyond the core system, including canned e-commerce solutions, printed manuals and phone support options. There is no rule that says you can't make money distributing Linux. For those who choose to download and install free distributions from the Internet, Linux is truely free. Some cynics have proclaimed, "Sure Linux is free now, but the Linux People will start charging for it once it catches on!". That statment is completely false. No single person or organization controls Linux, so that will never happen. In the unlikely case that Linus Torvalds (the author of Linux) adds some proprietary code and proclaims that all future releases will be $99.99USD, someone will simply take the latest "free" version and possibly rename it to Spin-UX. Then all the volunteer developers and contributors will jump on that bandwagon. Spin-UX will diverge from its Linux roots, over time becoming better supported and more advanced, rendering its ancestor obsolete, except possibly for purposes specifically addressed by that hypothetical proprietary added code. Furthermore Linux is covered by the Gnu Public License, stating that it and all derivative works must be distributed with the source code. This makes it extremely unlikely that anyone will wield monopolistic power in the Linux Sector.

Evolution

For most users, Vista was a step backward. And that step backward took a long time (five years) to come to fruition. With most Linux distributions, new releases are made available every six months. And some of them are major jumps in technological advancement. Linux also listens to its community. What are they saying and what are they needing? From the kernel to the desktop, the Linux developer community is in sync with its users. Microsoft? Not so much. Microsoft takes its time to release what may or may not be an improvement. And, generally speaking, those Microsoft release dates are as far from set in stone as something can be. It should go without saying that Microsoft is not an agile developer. In fact, I would say Microsoft, in its arrogance, insists companies, users, and third-party developers evolve around it.
That’s my short list of big-ticket items that Linux does better than Windows. There will be those naysayers who feel differently, but I think most people will agree with these points. Of course, I am not so closed-minded as to think that there is nothing that Windows does better than Linux. I can think of a few off the top of my head: P R, marketing, FUD, games, crash, and USB scanners.

I've installed Ubuntu OS partition in my Windows XP few weeks ago and keyboard (USB) didn't work when I see two choice Windows Xp or Ubuntu and I press down but it can't move down and I switched keyboard ps2 and it can move down to Ubuntu. And Ubuntu won't let me access internet and Windows XP access internet is fine, same happen to my friend Angie she had Ubuntu and she can't access internet. So I removed ubuntu from partition.

I've installed Ubuntu OS partition in my Windows XP few weeks ago and keyboard (USB) didn't work when I see two choice Windows Xp or Ubuntu and I press down but it can't move down and I switched keyboard ps2 and it can move down to Ubuntu. And Ubuntu won't let me access internet and Windows XP access internet is fine, same happen to my friend Angie she had Ubuntu and she can't access internet. So I removed ubuntu from partition.

It has with your hardware and driver.

I did use Ubuntu 8 before and internet works so fine and same with USB keyboard works so good with Ubuntu.

Only thing that I don't like Ubuntu because of limited apps to run, most PC games are exclusive to Windows.

Basically you are saying Ubuntu sucks in another thread? Can't blame you, but then again maybe you did not install properly? When installing you MUST have a Ethernet connected to the Internet to make the installation smoothly. It work perfectly for me on my laptop and wireless.

Basically you are saying Ubuntu sucks in another thread? Can't blame you, but then again maybe you did not install properly? When installing you MUST have a Ethernet connected to the Internet to make the installation smoothly. It work perfectly for me on my laptop and wireless.

I didn't mean to be a dick "Ubuntu Sucks!" in another thread, that's why I asked moderators to remove my post in another thread. I already plug the ethernet cable into my computer and running internet in Windows XP fine but Ubuntu not.

It has with your hardware and driver.

I did use Ubuntu 8 before and internet works so fine and same with USB keyboard works so good with Ubuntu.

Only thing that I don't like Ubuntu because of limited apps to run, most PC games are exclusive to Windows.

Probably my hardware's older and cannot running ubuntu. Like Pwrlinux mention about 786MB memory or low cannot running Ubuntu, maybe that's why my internet can't work on ubuntu :dunno:. My computer memory is 512mb x 2 memory and consider to buy 2 more memory since I have 2 slot available memory.

Probably my hardware's older and cannot running ubuntu. Like Pwrlinux mention about 786MB memory or low cannot running Ubuntu, maybe that's why my internet can't work on ubuntu :dunno:. My computer memory is 512mb x 2 memory and consider to buy 2 more memory since I have 2 slot available memory.
Try Xubuntu, it's faster for old computers

I used Ubuntu on my old computer last year and I loved it.

I am thinking of installing and running it on my laptop computer. :hmm:

What USB chipset was that on your mobo? What is the model and make of your system?? When you boot up to BIOS, Did you turn on USB Keyboard and USB Mouse and set it as Legancy USB???

I have two systems, Microstar MS-7093 (formerly Emachine board but reflashed BIOS to MSI's 8Xtreme BIOS) and old Althon XP system. Both works perfectly fine with USB keyboard during bootup and select OSes.

I've never experienced problem with USB keyboard and mouse while booting up to Ubuntu. I have Logitech Wireless USB keyboad and mouse.

Catty

Jam's Ubuntu - Why Ubuntu Linux Is Better Then Windows

10+ Reasons Why Linux Ubuntu is Better than Windows

Why Linux is better

101 reasons why Linux is better than Windows | Prakash Advani's Blog

Cost - That Linux is FREE deserves honorable mention and a bit of explanation. You can package and sell Linux for money. The competing Linux distributions all provide slightly different feature sets beyond the core system, including canned e-commerce solutions, printed manuals and phone support options. There is no rule that says you can't make money distributing Linux. For those who choose to download and install free distributions from the Internet, Linux is truely free. Some cynics have proclaimed, "Sure Linux is free now, but the Linux People will start charging for it once it catches on!". That statment is completely false. No single person or organization controls Linux, so that will never happen. In the unlikely case that Linus Torvalds (the author of Linux) adds some proprietary code and proclaims that all future releases will be $99.99USD, someone will simply take the latest "free" version and possibly rename it to Spin-UX. Then all the volunteer developers and contributors will jump on that bandwagon. Spin-UX will diverge from its Linux roots, over time becoming better supported and more advanced, rendering its ancestor obsolete, except possibly for purposes specifically addressed by that hypothetical proprietary added code. Furthermore Linux is covered by the Gnu Public License, stating that it and all derivative works must be distributed with the source code. This makes it extremely unlikely that anyone will wield monopolistic power in the Linux Sector.

Evolution

For most users, Vista was a step backward. And that step backward took a long time (five years) to come to fruition. With most Linux distributions, new releases are made available every six months. And some of them are major jumps in technological advancement. Linux also listens to its community. What are they saying and what are they needing? From the kernel to the desktop, the Linux developer community is in sync with its users. Microsoft? Not so much. Microsoft takes its time to release what may or may not be an improvement. And, generally speaking, those Microsoft release dates are as far from set in stone as something can be. It should go without saying that Microsoft is not an agile developer. In fact, I would say Microsoft, in its arrogance, insists companies, users, and third-party developers evolve around it.
That’s my short list of big-ticket items that Linux does better than Windows. There will be those naysayers who feel differently, but I think most people will agree with these points. Of course, I am not so closed-minded as to think that there is nothing that Windows does better than Linux. I can think of a few off the top of my head: P R, marketing, FUD, games, crash, and USB scanners.

On 2nd paragraph "Evolution". I agree completely that Vista is several steps backward. I was surprised that Vista demands hefty hardware requirements just to do window "shuffling" and Aeroglass :roll: and :crazy:. While Ubuntu and many Linuxes running with Compiz Fusion can do much much much more eyecandies which make Vista shrink to shame without demanding hefty hardware requirements. As long as you have 512mb memory and good 64mb or more graphic card (most preferly Nvidia graphic cards) would be good enuf to run Compiz. If one want real fancy Compiz desktop with video on background on each sides of cubes, It's best to get 256mb or higher high speed graphic card and 1gb memory. Onboard graphic chipsets sometime have issue with Linux like some ATI's Xpress chipset, SiS chipset, and sometime Intel graphic chipset. My laptop have ATI Xpress200M and one desktop (MSI Microstar M-7093 board) too have ATI Xpress200 chipset that won't do well with Ubuntu. Nvidia do not have issue with it.

Games, applications ect.. It's all free from Ubuntu's Synapic Package Manager. Some of softwares you can download thru website and compile it. You can install VMware, Virtualbox or any Virtual machines inside Ubuntu to run Windoz or other OSes.

Ubuntu are more stable than most Linuxes I've tried. I had issue with Linux Mint and Google's gOS (gOS now had bug fixed) which are Ubuntu base OS. It's the Terminal commands and compiling issue I had other Ubuntu based OS that I tried to install softwares. While Ubuntu alone cooperates and served me well.

I can browse thru net on Firefox under Ubuntu without worrying about virus, adwares ect. To run Media Player on some website, it requires few copy and paste to get Firefox automatically play Mediaplayer. Flashplayers are not a problem as long as you use Non-free Adobe Flashplayer. Java as usual included through Synapic Package manager (I didn't install it since it's already included in Ubuntu anyway).

Ubuntu is stable without rebooting. I left it running 24/7 and was heavily used for several weeks without a hitch while M$ just simply crashed over heavy use during the week.

Security, There are always a pop up window asking for password if you are using Synapic Package Manager or some programs in Administrator menu list to prevent hackers or anyone from breaking into to screw up Ubuntu. You can turn it off on your own risk.

Although Ubuntu require some learning curves, you'll find it enjoyable to use.

Live CD is one of my favorite part when friend's or customer's PC won't boot to Windoz. I even told my friend that I can rip and toss out the hard drive and Use Live CD Ubuntu slip into CDrom drive to boot into desktop (as long as they have at minimuim of 256mb but best 512mb ram memory) and go online or chat on Pidgin ect plus many more.

Bootable on Pendrive! Try http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
Ubuntu have lot of advantage.

So to experiment more linuxes, Try it urself.

Ubuntu- "normal" feature desktop
Mepis- "Moderate" feature desktop for older systems. I find it very useful and easy to use. I love it's skull with bone inside yellow triangle wallpaper when I was logged as a Root user!!.
Knoppix-"Moderate" feature desktop for old or new system without hdd or corrupted hdd and very useful for emergency in case if hard drive go kaput or went dead.
DSL (Damn Small Linux)-"light" feature desktop, just like knoppix and is an excellent for old system for emergency purpose (like supposed you visit your friend or relative's place and their PC is either broken or corrupted (if system powers up fine but no OS or error with hdd), Use DSL to allow you to use it's browser or NAIM (command base AIM).

Slax-"lite" feature desktop with modular install, great for old system or 'lite' system
Sabayon Linux -"heavy" featured Compiz Fusion ready desktop, require good graphic card and 512mb but preferably 1Gb Ram memory to enable Compiz Fusion automatically during bootup to desktop.

FreeSuSe- just like Ubuntu (to me it's okay but not my fav. It's more like Mandrivia or Fedora Core base OS that use RPM file installation)
OpenSolaris- Like Ubuntu but it's Sun Microsystem based OS. (not my fav tho)
Gentoo- I had hard time get it working to desktop!!!
BSD- same thing.

There are plenty more Linux OSes to experiement. It's like many flavors of icecream.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

The more you experiment many different flavor of Linuxes, You'll noticed that what base it run under.. Like Linux Mint runs under Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS runs under Gentoo, DSL (damn small linux) runs under Knoppix ect.

Some Linuxes basically configured by developers used for Media player on PC, Firewall (like Smoothwall Linux), or server. Check this out
Linux Online - List of distributions

Tho I have list many and fiddle around Linuxes, I'm just still a noobie!!

Enjoy!

CAtty

Thank you Catty, I knew you did be here eventually, lol. Right now I am on Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha with Ext4 it's a wonder. The boot speed is insane.

Yep I was using on 1 GB Flashdrive, I able to reboot the lappy and I puzzled the logo stay and stuck, then that's my DUH! I found the 1 GB and above flashdrive are bootable, I turn off the lappy and unplug my 1 GB flashdrive and boot up it's working ubuntu good..

USB for Ubuntu Linux, everything works except HP printer are require to be compatible with linux.

Sidekick 2 cellphone USB: YES
Kodak CX7300 Digital cameras USB: YES
Mini-mouse USB: Yes (Any brands)
Canon Pixma iP1500 Printer USB: NO
Lenmark X7350 Fax/Copier/Printer USB: NO
64 MB SuperTalent Flashdrive USB: Yes (Non-bootable)
1 GB SuperTalent Flashdrive USB: Yes (Bootable)
SD/MMC reader USB: Yes
MemoryStick Slot: not tested (Sony's stick)
Dlink USB Hub: Yes
Floppy Disk USB: No

Yep I was using on 1 GB Flashdrive, I able to reboot the lappy and I puzzled the logo stay and stuck, then that's my DUH! I found the 1 GB and above flashdrive are bootable, I turn off the lappy and unplug my 1 GB flashdrive and boot up it's working ubuntu good..

USB for Ubuntu Linux, everything works except HP printer are require to be compatible with linux.

Sidekick 2 cellphone USB: YES
Kodak CX7300 Digital cameras USB: YES
Mini-mouse USB: Yes (Any brands)
Canon Pixma iP1500 Printer USB: NO
Lenmark X7350 Fax/Copier/Printer USB: NO
64 MB SuperTalent Flashdrive USB: Yes (Non-bootable)
1 GB SuperTalent Flashdrive USB: Yes (Bootable)
SD/MMC reader USB: Yes
MemoryStick Slot: not tested (Sony's stick)
Dlink USB Hub: Yes
Floppy Disk USB: No

Yes, It have compatibilty with HP Printers. What you can do is to navigate Ubuntu's start menu and scroll down to Add/Remove. Click on it and provide password if popped up (Password is "root"). Then type "HP Printer" and it should find and list the HP printer. Be sure that printer is plugged in and turned on so it can detect and connects (it's always a USB printer).

I have HP PSC 2175 All-in-One Copier, Scanner, Printer and Ubuntu detects it and install drivers after I ran the program. It works like a wonder. The program itself actually developed by HP!

Using USB drive to boot Ubuntu is like booting up with Live CD. It would not persistenly save to USB Flashdrive.

Some other Linuxes can write back to USB Flashdrive such as PenDriveLinux OS. There are several Linuxes too have "Persistently save changes". So that you can save changes before you close the Linux and restore the way you saved last time. So that you can carry Linux with you anywhere you go. There are few of Linuxes that include Persistently save changes on the list http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Catty

Last edited:
yes its ubuntu is wayyy better than windows

reason why is because of viruses.

I just bought a new Nvidia PCI-E 9400GT with 512mb ddr2 for my AMD64 system. I hope it's more than enuf to run Ubuntu's Compiz eyecandy full turned on with water effect. It is pretty fast graphic card I've ever bought. I just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.10 (most recent update) and it finally able to detect my new Nvidia card and update the driver. I am able to get the desktop effect working (wobbly window and few) and will focus on Compiz Fusion after it's 245 security updates :lol:

Also I was told that Ubuntu 9.04 beta came out and It is supposed to be very fast bootup. I'm going to try it out later.

Catty

Last edited:
:fruit::rockon::monkey: Yeeeaaaahhhh!!!!! Got a Water Effect working!! NEEEAAATT!!
Now that I can brag on my friend and they'll drool!! :naughty::wag:
Here's pix

All I have to do is press CTL+ALT+Super(windows) then move mouse pointer around the screen. Also It have rain effect by press Shift+F9 to allow it to "rain" on the desktop.

I'm a happy man now! and planned to do more!!

My previous system with ATI Radeon 9000 Pro can't do it so did current Althon system with old 64mb Ti200 AGP graphic card.

Catty

Catty, It look cool. I like that picture. :) I thinking about install Ubuntu on 8GB thumb driver. So can I install and running Ubuntu via. thumb driver?

Joshb4802,

U culd do that. Like I mentioned on THIS posting #13, read bottom half of paragraph after HP printer comment. I mentioned Persistent saving change. There are quite few Linuxes other than Ubuntu can save changes like Google's G3 gOS, Pendrivelinux OS, and Mepis 8.0 OS. Google gOS and Mepis 8.0 are Ubuntu base. When you shut down Linux, it'll pop up screen asking if u want save change or not. You have to install 'Casper r/w' that is responsible read and write back to USB drive. It's already included instruction in Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux website. When you are in site, look at lists of different linuxes and u should see like example "Google G3 gOS (persistent) installation". When u see '(persistent)' that's where u can find good instruction on how to do it.

I've experimented several linuxes in USB flashdrive, it took me few tries to finally get it booted up.

What the instruction explains in PendriveLinux.com are pretty common. Some just download and transfer files USB drive under Windows and some installation performed under Linux either Live CD or installed in hdd.

Example:
Reformat usb flashdrive using Fat32 partition and then download pre-configured file that automatically convert and transfer downloaded Ubuntu or any Linux OS ISO file or from Linux CDrom to USB flashdrive. Then click one of .bat file to make USB drive bootable.

Then you are ready to boot system with USB drive. You will have to configure system's BIOS to boot from USB. Some have selection ready, some require plugging USB drive and boot the system and hit Del or F2 to BIOS so that u can see '111222USB' or whaver name on drive boot order and choose hdd--111222USB to set and USB hdd or USB floppy ect to get it set and save and exit and reboot so it can boot into Linux from USB drive.

If u prefer Ubuntu in flashdrive, follow instruction from Pendrivelinux and then make it bootable. It would be a 'LiveCD' version bootup. So that means u can't save what u setup. Otherwise, u can google search to find 'persistent Ubuntu' or tricks to make Ubuntu to write back file to USB drive.

Just follow instruction in PendriveLinux.

Enjoy

Catty

Back