Reasons why Ubuntu is better...

I'm downloading Ubuntu 8 right now and will install on Virtualbox.

Purplecatty, can you tell me about how to install on Virtualbox?

Foxtrac,

Just install Ubuntu directly in Virtualbox, if u have done with Windows OS in Virtualbox then u should do same on Ubuntu.

I've tried Nimblex, Damn Small Linux, Slax in Virtualbox without any problems.

Catty

Thanks you, Catty. I tried Ubuntu on my current PC as 2nd partition HD 6 month ago, I liked it but I hardy to used it, I decided to remove it off my PC. Now I thinking to install it on USB, I need to use it more often. I need a " Ubuntu for Dummy" book. :laugh2:

Foxtrac,

Just install Ubuntu directly in Virtualbox, if u have done with Windows OS in Virtualbox then u should do same on Ubuntu.

I've tried Nimblex, Damn Small Linux, Slax in Virtualbox without any problems.

Catty

Got it, thanks man.

What about create new 2nd partition on HDD and how to find boot the OS, that what I want choice to run?

I don't want screw my PC up like happened in last year.

Purplecatty, I have problem with Virtualbox and couldn't find to change the resolution to higher but only limited to 800 x 600, I tried look at Virtualbox's setting and can't find about resolution change.

I don't see any graphic driver is being installed, also I did checked on 3D acceleration on Virtualbox's setting.

Thanks you, Catty. I tried Ubuntu on my current PC as 2nd partition HD 6 month ago, I liked it but I hardy to used it, I decided to remove it off my PC. Now I thinking to install it on USB, I need to use it more often. I need a " Ubuntu for Dummy" book. :laugh2:

:rofl:

Got it, thanks man.

What about create new 2nd partition on HDD and how to find boot the OS, that what I want choice to run?

I don't want screw my PC up like happened in last year.

:hmm: try Gparted from Ubuntu. It "move" the partition instead of reformatting it so give more room to install 2nd OS. If u installed 2nd OS, it shuld set OS selection when u boots up.

I never tried that cuz I always have 2 hdd that I swaps. One for Windoz and other for Ubuntu. I had a spare tho. That why.

Catty

Purplecatty, I have problem with Virtualbox and couldn't find to change the resolution to higher but only limited to 800 x 600, I tried look at Virtualbox's setting and can't find about resolution change.

I don't see any graphic driver is being installed, also I did checked on 3D acceleration on Virtualbox's setting.

Yes, I had same issue with it. I ran Nimblex and Slax in Virtualbox and it show 800x600 maximum. Eh! But newer Linux shuld be able to set highest resolution.

Actually Virtualbox just like VMware or any Virtual Machine software, it is not programmed to connect to graphic adapter (my belief it required very complicated programming to get graphic adapter to work with VM).

It requires terminal work on linux inside Virtualbox in order to increase resolution size. It's like hacking Linux X11org file tho.

There are plenty info on how to fix the plm by Google searching. I will look at it later today.

It be very nice if one of Virtual Machine software able to connect graphic adapter so that it would work nicely and even play game directly from virtual machine! :lol:

Catty

hello anyone

have u try crossloop on ubuntu ?

:hmm:!! something new! Here's the link, I just checked and it's basically like VNC, TightVNC ect.. allow to view and control Doz and Tux. I'll give it a try!

Here's link

Crossloop in Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 thru Automatix2! | Trex Reviews (The author of this website goofed spelling on "Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Pawn" which is supposed to be Feisty Fawn. :lol:

Also I will DL Automatix too to give it a try

Catty

I just found out Automatix was discontinued. Synapic Package Manager is good enuf to easily install or uninstall software without using Terminal and Compile it.

Ubuntu 8.10 now have improved hardware detection. I have two Nvidia graphic cards and it uses Restricted driver. I simply test ran Desktop Effect by turning on Enchanted Desktop, it checked the graphic card and then download then installs correct driver for 3D effect. Then after rebooting, it enable 3D effect and able to run any OpenGL programs smoothly.

It was a nice break that I don't have to Google search and find info on how to fix the problem.

Ubuntu have tons of fantiscating screensavers. My kids were mesermized by some screensavers :rofl:

Catty

I just found out Automatix was discontinued. Synapic Package Manager is good enuf to easily install or uninstall software without using Terminal and Compile it.

Ubuntu 8.10 now have improved hardware detection. I have two Nvidia graphic cards and it uses Restricted driver. I simply test ran Desktop Effect by turning on Enchanted Desktop, it checked the graphic card and then download then installs correct driver for 3D effect. Then after rebooting, it enable 3D effect and able to run any OpenGL programs smoothly.

It was a nice break that I don't have to Google search and find info on how to fix the problem.

Ubuntu have tons of fantiscating screensavers. My kids were mesermized by some screensavers :rofl:

Catty

Yes Automatrix2 was discountine and it had a new name Ultramatrix

Yes Automatrix2 was discountine and it had a new name Ultramatrix

I Googled and check Ultramatrix, It look like it have lists of software that I already installed in my Ubuntu but would download and install Ultramatrix and play with it.... I will try that and would love to have DVD codecs!! listed in Ultramatrix! :naughty:

I saw "FooBillard" game, I didn't like it, I prefer BillardGL which is more realistic! It's one of my must have fav game on Ubuntu!

Catty

I just installed Crossover Game software for Linux. It was waay cool and easier to use than Wine!! I had to figure out how to install or run that darn downloaded software ending with ".sh". I googled and found out I just simply type "sh /home/ursn/crossover-game-install.sh" under Terminal. (Actually, when you download the software, best save it in the Home/ursn file where all pix, video, document ect folders located. This will enable installation than on the desktop). It finally installed. Another way is "chmod 755 /home/ursn/crossover-game-install.sh" but didn't work when I tried but the prior did work great anyway.

Simple and straightfoward! why didn't I learn that till now! Honestly, I did came cross some software in past ending with ".sh" and tried to use "make" or "make do" ect and I was stumped and deleted it.

Crossover game software works nicely with Evo 4x4 with little glitch from the beginning (the config screen didn't show but I hit enter and game started).

Catty

I'm downloading Ubuntu right now and install in my 2nd HDD.

I had cancel the Super OS due no x64 support.

Back