Rear View Camera

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Tonight at work, there is a rented u-haul Ford Transit van that I moved around property. It's a first time I've seen the back up camera screen on the rear view mirror. It's a small screen compared to the dashboard screen usually 5 or 7 inch screen. Interesting... I took a pic to show..

Jane B.

Tonight at work, there is a rented u-haul Ford Transit van that I moved around property. It's a first time I've seen the back up camera screen on the rear view mirror. It's a small screen compared to the dashboard screen usually 5 or 7 inch screen. Interesting... I took a pic to show..

I wonder if it was an aftermarket installation rather than original equipment. But the way you came across it I bet there is no way to tell for sure.

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
I wonder if it was an aftermarket installation rather than original equipment. But the way you came across it I bet there is no way to tell for sure.
I doubt U-haul uses aftermarket installations on their equipments. Google is my friend.. this is what I find...

It depends on what audio system you choose. Base AM/FM radio has the rear backup camera in the rear view mirror. As you upgrade to another audio system, it goes into the 4" multi-function display. When you order the SYNC 3 with Navigation, you get the 6.5" color multi-function display.
Sounds like it depends on factory audio system.

Nix Snow

Oh, that's kinda cool... I didn't know they do that!

You learn something new every day! :)

Jane B.

Are there any after market ones available that are really good as an aid in backing up? I at one time moved a GMC SUV (I have forgotten what model) for a friend and was impressed how helpful an original equipment one was. But, I don't want to change cars just for that. I am driving a 1997 Toyota Camry that I like.

Nix Snow

Are there any after market ones available that are really good as an aid in backing up? I at one time moved a GMC SUV (I have forgotten what model) for a friend and was impressed how helpful an original equipment one was. But, I don't want to change cars just for that. I am driving a 1997 Toyota Camry that I like.
I've seen stuff like that at the Walmart I worked at and such, but I always thought installation would be tough. Maybe check Amazon? I love reading the reviews. I feel like it makes finding the right one so much easier, and the area where you can ask questions is super helpful. I'm gonna go now and see if I can find something reasonable.

Nix Snow

I actually just looked this up, and it's only $30 bucks. :)

https://www.amazon.com/LeeKooLuu-Monitor-Waterproof-Fulltime-Optional/dp/B06XKPQ6YZ/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1512925167&sr=1-3&keywords=back+up+car+camera

The reviews said there is a wireless option one, but you have to hook up a battery supply, otherwise they run this one into the car on their own. Also, it has 4.6 out of 5 stars with over 100 reviews. Hope this helps you. Good luck! :)

If you meant specifically one in the mirror, I briefly saw one on Amazon, but it was $110 bucks so I figured the $30 one would be a better option, but that's just me. :P

Jane B.

I've seen stuff like that at the Walmart I worked at and such, but I always thought installation would be tough. Maybe check Amazon? I love reading the reviews. I feel like it makes finding the right one so much easier, and the area where you can ask questions is super helpful. I'm gonna go now and see if I can find something reasonable.
I would be using a mechanic for the installation.

deafsmogtech

I've seen a built-in small screen in a rear view mirror in early 2010 Ford and GM. One negative is too small screen, hard to see. I do like big screen in a navigation monitor with full 360 degree view camera which have 4 cameras around the vehicle: Front, rear and 2 sides (cameras mount under the side mirrors).

Vosgedzam

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the small-screened camera in the rear-view mirror too. I'm glad to have it on my 8.4" touchscreen in my Dodge Challenger instead.

deafsmogtech

True. For my older truck with few modules such as PCM, ABS or HVAC, I can get it and install it myself. For newer vehicles, don't buy aftermarket rear camera, better leave it, buy a vehicle with factory rear view camera or full 360 degree view camera

deafsmogtech

I recalled I pick up a 2016 Ford Raptor truck for oil service last year, saw 2 camera lens in the front grille and rear, didn't notice a navigation screen as I pace the service works.

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
I've seen a built-in small screen in a rear view mirror in early 2010 Ford and GM. One negative is too small screen, hard to see. I do like big screen in a navigation monitor with full 360 degree view camera which have 4 cameras around the vehicle: Front, rear and 2 sides (cameras mount under the side mirrors).
Yes I saw Honda CRV has camera on side mirrors for passing (blind spots).

deafsmogtech

Yes I saw Honda CRV has camera on side mirrors for passing (blind spots).
I have 2 CRVs in the station shop, they sat overnight last night, I didn't touch them, I'll check them out this early morning to see what feature of the view cameras inside before my technician release them

Jane B.

deafsmogtech I don't know if you saw the following posts earlier or not. I am really wondering if you have any suggestions for me? As an older single woman I would be using a mechanic for the installation. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give.

I actually just looked this up, and it's only $30 bucks. :)

https://www.amazon.com/LeeKooLuu-Monitor-Waterproof-Fulltime-Optional/dp/B06XKPQ6YZ/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1512925167&sr=1-3&keywords=back+up+car+camera

The reviews said there is a wireless option one, but you have to hook up a battery supply, otherwise they run this one into the car on their own. Also, it has 4.6 out of 5 stars with over 100 reviews. Hope this helps you. Good luck! :)

If you meant specifically one in the mirror, I briefly saw one on Amazon, but it was $110 bucks so I figured the $30 one would be a better option, but that's just me. :P

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the small-screened camera in the rear-view mirror too. I'm glad to have it on my 8.4" touchscreen in my Dodge Challenger instead.
My Mazda has 8.0" touchscreen, easier to see and navigate.

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
I have 2 CRVs in the station shop, they sat overnight last night, I didn't touch them, I'll check them out this early morning to see what feature of the view cameras inside before my technician release them