Realize no voice...

rebeccalj

Reaction score
I realize today from reading post that I do not have the voice that I want. That I need to take responsibility for the wrongs done me and make difference.

That I, me, angry for wrongs. Okay to be angry but, then, do something about.

Thank you Becklak today I start being me. Tired of asking family to accommodate, well, then *make* them accommodate you! Tired of people thinking you hearie because you talk then *DON'T*. Then they have no choice!

I guess what I mean for 'hearies' is that I don't want to be hearie. I just want to be *ME*. I don't want to make apology anymore for not hearing.

I come to my own if make sense?

Thank you everyone, deafie particular, for helping realize this. Thank you AD!

I use Becklak 'STEP' from now on. Even with son who pretend I do not hear. Done with it. He can learn.

</voice off>

I agree, very often people assume because you can speak you can hear. What do you do instead? No point signing as most don't understand, just walk away?

I've a friend who once told me, "Hearing people! Can't live with them, can live without them!" He has been a recluse for over a year now. I wonder how long he can hold out.

Someone said that it is not healty for deaf people to isolate themselves in the Deaf community. I scoffed at that person.

Sowwie, not 4 hoh. I will never stop using mah voice when I'm talkin 2 hearie. If I follow ur way, my voice won't be strong.

Last edited:
Sowwie, not 4 hoh. I will never stop using mah voice when I'm talkin 2 hearie. If I follow ur way, I may never be strong like a hearie person.

I don't understand what you mean. If you don't use your voice, you wont be strong like a hearing person?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Rebecca, the term that you're looking for may be "invalidation." You may want to read about it for insight on your emotions and how to deal with it in a healthy way. The "no voice" idea makes me think of this.

Last edited:
Voice off?...not for me...my boys/friends/family do know ASL (some just learned it), and they are all hearing (except for deaf friends)....I can see us deafies wanting more ASL with our families, that's good. But I would not go voice off when I can still use my voice and don't want to lose it. For deafies who have no voice (oral skills), I can see the point.

Someone said that it is not healty for deaf people to isolate themselves in the Deaf community. I scoffed at that person.

oh yes I have heard plenty of times about that one. I do not see any harmless about this one, since most of them did live with hearing people so they are familiar with the kind of hearies.

It's quite liberating.

And matter of a fact!! I signed to the barista my order, and got it, sat down.

A few minutes later a lady approached me in sign... this lady is in her 2nd week of ASL 1 class! So we chatted briefly. It was cool.

She asked if we could meet and chat every once in a while. It was nice.

This happened just 5 minutes ago.

This would have never happened if I voiced or wrote my order.

I've a friend who once told me, "Hearing people! Can't live with them, can live without them!" He has been a recluse for over a year now. I wonder how long he can hold out.

The real question is how long he will maintain his sanity if he remains a recluse.

It's quite liberating.

And matter of a fact!! I signed to the barista my order, and got it, sat down.

A few minutes later a lady approached me in sign... this lady is in her 2nd week of ASL 1 class! So we chatted briefly. It was cool.

She asked if we could meet and chat every once in a while. It was nice.

This happened just 5 minutes ago.

This would have never happened if I voiced or wrote my order.

I go to a Starbucks pretty regularly that is like this. The staff doesn't even bat an eye when customers sign instead of speak. I've even had a new barista ask what I want in sign, assuming that it must be my preference since I'd turned and asked my daughter -- who was settling in with the iPad a distance away -- what she wanted, in sign, just to avoid calling out across the room. And if you take a look at their business cards on the counter, some even say they are fluent in ASL.

I go to a Starbucks pretty regularly that is like this. The staff doesn't even bat an eye when customers sign instead of speak. I've even had a new barista ask what I want in sign, assuming that it must be my preference since I'd turned and asked my daughter -- who was settling in with the iPad a distance away -- what she wanted, in sign, just to avoid calling out across the room. And if you take a look at their business cards on the counter, some even say they are fluent in ASL.

Ironic - more and more hearies know sign these days and parents trying to make their kids have oral skills, eh?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Rebecca, the term that you're looking for may be "invalidation." You may want to read about it for insight on your emotions and how to deal with it in a healthy way. The "no voice" idea makes me think of this.

I read about this and it make sense. :ty:

Back