Real-time captioning

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about real-time captioning? I know it has a bit over ninety percent accuracy, but I am wondering where they place the captions, in front of the speaker or heaven forbid, on your lap. I also figure there will be a slight time lapse as well since the captioner has to type the words. I am thinking of enrolling in a few classes at the university and assume they will pay for it. :mrgreen: 'Course, I know I can get flawless terps. I have the feeling it is no pipe dream for a few scientists to have it in your phone.

The ones I've seen have a laptop on your desk where the words pop up. Lag is a factor, but it's not bad if you're in a history class, "And then xyz happened and then abc happened and then eieio happened"

Problem is in math class.

"Now you see this 'ere number, and we tryna add it to that there number"

By the time you get "this ere" number, prof's already somewhere else. Prolly pointing at you asking for the answer.

The ones I've seen have a laptop on your desk where the words pop up. Lag is a factor, but it's not bad if you're in a history class, "And then xyz happened and then abc happened and then eieio happened"

Problem is in math class.

"Now you see this 'ere number, and we tryna add it to that there number"

By the time you get "this ere" number, prof's already somewhere else. Prolly pointing at you asking for the answer.

Lol. I know what you mean. Just found out today there are loads of classes for my passion and call me weird, but I will do one unassisted. Thanks for your reply, though. :)

Lol. I know what you mean. Just found out today there are loads of classes for my passion and call me weird, but I will do one unassisted. Thanks for your reply, though. :)

Lol, awesome. I'm rooting for you!

Does anyone know about real-time captioning? I know it has a bit over ninety percent accuracy, but I am wondering where they place the captions, in front of the speaker or heaven forbid, on your lap. I also figure there will be a slight time lapse as well since the captioner has to type the words. I am thinking of enrolling in a few classes at the university and assume they will pay for it. :mrgreen: 'Course, I know I can get flawless terps. I have the feeling it is no pipe dream for a few scientists to have it in your phone.
Check out AVA 24/7. It's an app that does what you're looking for. Check it out.

Check out AVA 24/7. It's an app that does what you're looking for. Check it out.

Ava will really only work very well if your friends/teachers/other people also have the app on their phone and have it ON.

Ideally, yes, everyone should have that app in order to understand the conversation better, but it does work most of the time if you're in a quiet room. I been using this mostly when I have my phone on speaker or bluetooth.

Back