Re-Thinking CI

DeafAlex

Reaction score
SO I"m pretty sure I've decided to go ahead with a CI. My hearing is deteriorating even further, and while I wouldn't mind being completely deaf, I am realizing how much it is cutting me off from my family. My siblings and their spouses are home visiting from another state. I only see them twice a year unless someone gets married or graduates. I can't manage conversations that are more than one-on-one or one-on-two, because I rely on lip-reading to decipher what I'm hearing with my Naida. This results in me being completely lost in group conversations and games (we play a lot of board games). My family tries, and they mean well, but they don't live here full-time and so aren't used to not looking away from me, not covering their mouths, not getting in my line of sight to get my attention, etc. It's unreasonable to expect 4 people who I only see 3-4 weeks a year to become fluent in ASL, same for my extended family. But I don't want to be separated from them. So I've decided to go ahead with a CI. The plan is to get all of the testing and appt's done this semester, and then get the implant(s) at the beginning of summer, in order to give me plenty of time to recover and focus on rehabilitation. I've already decided I'm going with the Cochlear device, for many reasons, so I don't need to worry about that. All there is to do now is choose a hospital and make that first appt :) I've been evaluated before, but I had changed my mind. We don't want to go back there because they were awful, even accusing me of faking being deaf even though my ABR had no response :eek: Anyway, I just wanted to update here and ask for any support and advice you have. I received and went through the Cochlear packet, so I'm fairly well informed, but there's not much in the packet about the process, mostly just the device and rehabilitation.

Thanks all, ALex :wave:

Alex: Much success in your upcoming journey to a Cochlear Implant.

We don't want to go back there because they were awful, even accusing me of faking being deaf even though my ABR had no response :eek:

You'd be surprised just how often that happens :S Not every single cause of hearing loss has been determined.

*EQL*

I received and went through the Cochlear packet, so I'm fairly well informed, but there's not much in the packet about the process, mostly just the device and rehabilitation.

It's great that you are seriously considering a Cochlear Implant, however you are not well informed from reading marketing materials from Cochlear. You do understand that they are the most basic in terms of technology among the 3 implant companies today? Their internal has changed little from the 1990's, it's simply been re-packaged. Cochlear puts more into marketing than the actual technology. They have a tendency to make wild claims with reliability being a big one.

Their device is fine and you will be happy with it, but if your research has boiled down to reading glossy marketing packets from Cochlear or interacting with their trained volunteers then you don't know what you are getting.

The website cochlear implant HELP will give you an excellent overview of the entire process that you are seeking as well as objective data for all of the implant companies. I encourage you to study it and be fully informed. Cochlear may be the biggest, but they aren't necessarily the best and they do have a shady past that is worth being aware of.

hope you can find a different clinic that will be very helpful, and good luck with the process!

It's great that you are seriously considering a Cochlear Implant, however you are not well informed from reading marketing materials from Cochlear. You do understand that they are the most basic in terms of technology among the 3 implant companies today? Their internal has changed little from the 1990's, it's simply been re-packaged. Cochlear puts more into marketing than the actual technology. They have a tendency to make wild claims with reliability being a big one.

Their device is fine and you will be happy with it, but if your research has boiled down to reading glossy marketing packets from Cochlear or interacting with their trained volunteers then you don't know what you are getting.

The website cochlear implant HELP will give you an excellent overview of the entire process that you are seeking as well as objective data for all of the implant companies. I encourage you to study it and be fully informed. Cochlear may be the biggest, but they aren't necessarily the best and they do have a shady past that is worth being aware of.
I'm basically limited to Cochlear. They are the only company with a removable magnet for MRI's. Since I have MS, I have a LOT of MRI's. The ability to temporarily remove the magnet for the MRI is priceless.

Hi Alex,

Good luck, I am heading into my second CI surgery in a few weeks for the left ear and have only good things to say about them. Sure it's no fancy hearing aid, but it lets me communicate with the world once more and no doubt will help you too.

I'm basically limited to Cochlear

This is UNTRUE! I too was worried about MRI's down the road as I'm sure they'll come up in later years. I know for a fact Advanced Bionics also offers this, and I specifically chose them for certain advantages over others. I would suggest reviewing all of your options if that's the only thing you thought you were limited/restricted too.

"Removable magnet for MRI compatibility. MRI safe for scans at 0.3T and and 1.5T with the magnet removed"
Source: HiRes 90K Implant Family | Advanced Bionics

SO I"m pretty sure I've decided to go ahead with a CI. My hearing is deteriorating even further, and while I wouldn't mind being completely deaf, I am realizing how much it is cutting me off from my family. My siblings and their spouses are home visiting from another state. I only see them twice a year unless someone gets married or graduates. I can't manage conversations that are more than one-on-one or one-on-two, because I rely on lip-reading to decipher what I'm hearing with my Naida. This results in me being completely lost in group conversations and games (we play a lot of board games). My family tries, and they mean well, but they don't live here full-time and so aren't used to not looking away from me, not covering their mouths, not getting in my line of sight to get my attention, etc. It's unreasonable to expect 4 people who I only see 3-4 weeks a year to become fluent in ASL, same for my extended family. But I don't want to be separated from them. So I've decided to go ahead with a CI. The plan is to get all of the testing and appt's done this semester, and then get the implant(s) at the beginning of summer, in order to give me plenty of time to recover and focus on rehabilitation. I've already decided I'm going with the Cochlear device, for many reasons, so I don't need to worry about that. All there is to do now is choose a hospital and make that first appt I've been evaluated before, but I had changed my mind. We don't want to go back there because they were awful, even accusing me of faking being deaf even though my ABR had no response Anyway, I just wanted to update here and ask for any support and advice you have. I received and went through the Cochlear packet, so I'm fairly well informed, but there's not much in the packet about the process, mostly just the device and rehabilitation.

Hi Alex,

This is UNTRUE! I too was worried about MRI's down the road as I'm sure they'll come up in later years. I know for a fact Advanced Bionics also offers this, and I specifically chose them for certain advantages over others. I would suggest reviewing all of your options if that's the only thing you thought you were limited/restricted too.

"Removable magnet for MRI compatibility. MRI safe for scans at 0.3T and and 1.5T with the magnet removed"
Source: HiRes 90K Implant Family | Advanced Bionics
THANK-YOU!!

I just read a comparison of the 3 different companies, and am thoroughly confused as to how to choose. Can anyone tell me why you chose a certain company?

I'm basically limited to Cochlear. They are the only company with a removable magnet for MRI's. Since I have MS, I have a LOT of MRI's. The ability to temporarily remove the magnet for the MRI is priceless.

Incorrect. The magnet is removable for all of the manufacturers. Cochlear holds no special advantage in this area. The only real advantage Cochlear has is the availability of different electrode arrays for people with special needs. If you have an ossified cochlea, for example, you may be limited to Cochlear. Your physician would determine this.

well, I personally went with AB for the fact they seemed to offer more in terms of technology (At this time) in terms of hearing as much as you used to. i think this best relates to people who could hear once and had lost or are losing that ability.

Here's some techo garble that inspired me to lean towards them (Also the waterproof option was important to me as I love beaches/boats/seadoos/swimming/sailing)

AB’s can fire 90k pulses per second on its 16 buttons simultaneously with both + .AND. – charges; MedEl can fire about 56k pulses (but simultaneously either – .OR. +) per second on its 12 electrodes; while Cochlear’s can only fire 30k pulses per second, and only one pulse at a time. This means AB has 128 virtual electrodes, MedEl has somewhere around 90 (but they don’t claim a number due to their triangular waveform)… while Cochlear only has 22

Source: Choosing a brand « I look so I can hear….

THANK-YOU!!

I just read a comparison of the 3 different companies, and am thoroughly confused as to how to choose. Can anyone tell me why you chose a certain company?

I went with AB, I was attracted to their products for years and I just felt like AB was more advanced with the technology and speech processing strategies. Plus the waterproof & off-the-ear processor option is really great. I love I can switch between BTE and OTE. The weight of the Harmony is a bit much for my ear at times, so wearing the Neptune is great for that. I've been real happy with AB, and I've only had my implant activated since April 2012. And it's a bonus that Sonova owns both AB and Phonak (I still wear a Phonak hearing aid in the right ear) so I'm eager to see what both companies come up with for new technology.

And it's a bonus that Sonova owns both AB and Phonak (I still wear a Phonak hearing aid in the right ear) so I'm eager to see what both companies come up with for new technology.

If I were to get a CI, this is one of the main reasons I would have chosen AB. With Phonaks technology, I am confident their next processor will be far superior to Cochlear or Med-Els. I am expecting to see integrated FM in the next one (like the Naidas that can have integrated FM).

*EQL*

When you say removeable magnet all require surgery? I had decided on AB since my surgeon offered all three companies. But my surgeon felt very strongly with my health background that Cochlear brand was best. So I went with what he recommended since I had to trust him to make the best decision for my unique situation.

When they remove the magnet, they make a small incision at the spot where the magnet is, take the magnet out, cover the incision and the patient goes for MRI, then a new magnet is put in and the incision is closed up. And if one should need to go in for frequent MRI's, there is an alternative to using a magnet with the headpiece I think. Not sure what, but it is possible for those to still use their CI when the magnet is gone.

You do understand that they are the most basic in terms of technology among the 3 implant companies today? Their internal has changed little from the 1990's, it's simply been re-packaged. Cochlear puts more into marketing than the actual technology. They have a tendency to make wild claims with reliability being a big one.
So? You don't always need the best of the best technology. Some people just want to hear, and can do very well with basic technology.

So? You don't always need the best of the best technology. Some people just want to hear, and can do very well with basic technology.

I totally agree with you on this one. I believe some of us with other serious health issues need to listen to our surgeons suggestions. Maybe this is all our brains can handle.

And you are commenting yet again on a topic you really know little about despite your best attempts to sound like you do because?

If she wants and chooses Cochlear, that's just dandy. I am arming her with factual information that she asked for as well as information she didn't know. She should be enabled to make an informed choice as opposed to a manipulated one due to marketing.

I appreciate everyone's responses!! I looked at AB's site today and am impressed. And the fact that they have purple does not hurt :P I want to see if they have a packet like Cochlear sent me. I have 5-6 months to decide so no rush! But I want to get all the information I can before the initial appt.

Thank-you again everyone!!!

And you are commenting yet again on a topic you really know little about despite your best attempts to sound like you do because?

If she wants and chooses Cochlear, that's just dandy. I am arming her with factual information that she asked for as well as information she didn't know. She should be enabled to make an informed choice as opposed to a manipulated one due to marketing.

I'm just saying that more " sophsicated" technology doesn't mean better. I mean god, there are people who like *gasp* ANALOG aids. You're making it sound like Coachlear is the equalivant of a 1930's body worn aid.
A lot of the hyped features etc on hearing technology tends to be targeted towards formaly hearing people......a deaf person who just wants basic access to sound wouldn't nessarily want or need something super amazing.....that's all. I know it shocks you that not everyone thinks the LATEST technology is a "gotta have."

If I were to get a CI, this is one of the main reasons I would have chosen AB. With Phonaks technology, I am confident their next processor will be far superior to Cochlear or Med-Els. I am expecting to see integrated FM in the next one (like the Naidas that can have integrated FM).

*EQL*

Phonak already do what they call an integrated receiver for the cochlear N5.

Back