Rats have empathy

DeafCaroline

Reaction score
Study shows empathy in rats - The Washington Post

Study shows empathy in rats
A study by Science/AAAS shows that rats preferred freeing caged rats rather than eating food placed in the cage, suggesting that the rats show empathy, a trait only previously known to primates. (Courtesy of Science/AAAS)

That doesn't surprise me. I have three pet rats, and they're the sweetest things. I think they're right up there with crows in the 'Animals that's don't get enough credit'!
Thanks for sharing.

Rats don't get enough credits. They aren't dumb creatures.

Empathy was previously only known in primates? That's hard for me to believe. Anyone who has owned a good dog knows that.

I'm sure dolphins express empathy as well.

Kitties? Not so much. :D

I had the feeling that all animals have feelings. I just don't understand why some people think that the humans is the only one with intelligence and that humans have the right to control the animal world.

Netrox and I have discussed empathy shown by ducks before

I had the feeling that all animals have feelings. I just don't understand why some people think that the humans is the only one with intelligence and that humans have the right to control the animal world.

Have you ever been around sheep?

There ya go. ;)

When you guys were talking about empathy, did you mean between same species or between animals and humans?

I remember a video that went viral for a while and it was two street dogs in Brazil, I think. They were attempting to cross a 4 or 6 lane highway and one of them got injured. The other dog went back into traffic, grabbed his friend and got him to safety. Elephants have a LOT of empathy for one another.

Maybe whomever was the reporter of that article wasn't the brightest one in the book.

That doesn't surprise me. I have three pet rats, and they're the sweetest things. I think they're right up there with crows in the 'Animals that's don't get enough credit'!
Thanks for sharing.

crows are very smart! I think all animals are smart in their own ways.

What about the dolphins who lured sharks away from a human? That's shows not only empathy, but group coordination towards a common goal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CMxMv34_A]Jambo the Gentle Giant Jersey Zoo Boy fell into Gorilla pit - YouTube[/ame]

Back