Raising deaf children

any information about raising hearing children of Deaf adult? I have been looking around but didn't find good links.

As usual, many of these comments are very common. I am glad that these parents are seeking help.

As usual, many of these comments are very common. I am glad that these parents are seeking help.

I think that the site gives unbiased, well researched answers. I like that it has material to back up claims, and never says that one thing or another is the "holy grail" of deaf education. It says that kids can be successful in all manners, communication modes, and school settings....refreshing!:D

I think that the site gives unbiased, well researched answers. I like that it has material to back up claims, and never says that one thing or another is the "holy grail" of deaf education. It says that kids can be successful in all manners, communication modes, and school settings....refreshing!:D

Sometimes we need that. :D

Having trouble raising your kids?

I agree this link isn't relating with my kids. I am looking for KODA and CODA program that is not in my local town that helps my kids understand better about deaf culture. I see that there are couple of programs that are closer about 2 hours away from here.
I feel that they need more to be exposed with deaf culture where we live is lacking of deaf community. Id like for them to understand better how deaf culture is then they would have pick up more ASL faster from others than rather me only. I am the only one who have been teaching ASL to my kids but it isn't enough. They have been picking up asl very slow by me.

I agree this link isn't relating with my kids. I am looking for KODA and CODA program that is not in my local town that helps my kids understand better about deaf culture. I see that there are couple of programs that are closer about 2 hours away from here.
I feel that they need more to be exposed with deaf culture where we live is lacking of deaf community. Id like for them to understand better how deaf culture is then they would have pick up more ASL faster from others than rather me only. I am the only one who have been teaching ASL to my kids but it isn't enough. They have been picking up asl very slow by me.

That is so cool that you are teaching your kids about ASL and Deaf culture. I grew up in an all Deaf house (I am hearing), but when I was a kid everyone focused on me learning English so that I could fit into the hearing world. Then I had to go live with hearing family who don't know anything about Deaf culture. I lost my culture and my language. I don't think I can ever get that back.

I am not a professional, but maybe if you have friends that also have kids you can teach your kids to use the VP and chat with different kids all over the country? Maybe you can send your kids to a mainstream charter school if there are any in your area? If there isn't, then maybe you can send them to summer camps with other Deaf kids? I know Lions Club has kids from all over the state (I live in midwestern America).

I'll look for a resource too. I know there are a lot of organizations for CODAs, but I've never been a member of any of them.

Not even by your deaf hubby? :ugh:

Back