Racism in Deaf- World???

jesnclar

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am in an Interpreter Preperation Program at Catonsville and I would like to get the opinion of the Deaf Community on two questions. Please feel free to speak freely.

Is there Racism within Deaf Culture?

Is there a GREAT difference between Black Deaf and other Deaf people?

Yes, there is racism. Racism is everywhere, regardless of what kind of other culture there is. There's racism here at RIT/NTID among students of diversity. There are times when other students feel uncomfortable around blacks and hispanics. It happens every day.

Oh yes, racism does exist in all societies, including the Deaf community. The state where I live in, Utah, most of the population is white. I have heard some negative comments from white Utahns in regards to our diverse people. I think it's pretty sad that they have this stigima applied upon them, even though Deaf people should know better than not to practise prejudice since they have experienced it themselves. I think it is just because they dont understand or are ignorant towards their cultures and heritages.

like kootchie and vampy said YES there is racisim everywhere not just singling out on the deaf community and YES there is racisim among the black community and white community its basically in ALL RACES not just the blacks and deaf, its usually ALL about ingorant and thinking of the days when blacks were slaves and whites were overpowering the men, but as far as im concerned, i love all poeple and if they have a problem with thier loving the diversity of the race then they themselves have a ingorancy problem! WE ARE ONE AND SAME HUMAN BEING! So therefore we walk the same skins even tho we're of different color, we talk the talk even tho it may be in different langagues, we learn the same history, even if it's in a different veiw and we are born and will die on the same place called earth!

VamPyroX said:
Yes, there is racism. Racism is everywhere, regardless of what kind of other culture there is. There's racism here at RIT/NTID among students of diversity. There are times when other students feel uncomfortable around blacks and hispanics. It happens every day.
:werd: , VamPyroX...no complaints.... i percently agree with your sayings about that.. i always believed there is still existence of raicsts in Untied States that i have to deal with. i wont be mess with racists.. racists are cool to me. as long as racists respect me as well i respect them.. its simple!!

Hmph, It appears that it is different in Southern California. I am a white myself but I still deal with racism, especially around the deaf community here where the african-american/blacks and hispanics/south-american/mexican (i have to be politically correct because there are so many different preferrences of being "labelled") are the majority. Maybe i am mistaken but I am around non-whites all the times and I am fine with that but apparently MOST of them are not. It was worst during high school because I went to a low-income area high school and I got pested on for being "rich white gringa" and such when I was not even rich! I also lived in the neighborhood and it just pissed me off the way they treated me. The boys were worst but I always got my quip in- they were dating half-white girls too, so what was the big deal? This was how I got the shoo-in into the deaf community among the hispanics/blacks. One just has to step it up and let the others know that one doesn't have any problems with them and wants none in return.

jesnclar- I am trying to think hard.... I don't know if this is what you are wanting.

In the deaf community, one may call another deaf [and hearing] 'audists' which is almost like they are called racists when some hearing and deaf people don't agree what other deaf [and hearing] people think and see.

You may want to check this out: http://www.AUDISM.org and you should be able to get more from google.com and yahoo.com on the issues.

Specifically, I see you are asking about Deaf racism. So, I will not comment on other scenarios. Absolutely, In varying degrees there is racism against the Deaf/deaf and the hearing. I have seen racism against the Deaf from hearing persons and racism against the hearing from Deaf/deaf. Many people do not see this or realize this unless they are involved with the deaf or Deaf community. I see this more prevalent in certain regions of the country. I have seen prejudices towards cochlear implants, hearing parents in Deaf schools, and deaf students in hearing schools ,and there is no age limit to the prejudicial behavior.If divisions were repaired and the prejudices curtailed deaf schools would be more successful with enrollment.I hope leaders realize there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Deaf schools are losing an enormous amount of students to hearing schools when they can be accommodated at Deaf schools.Most of the students mainstreamed and born deaf have hearing parents. Why would they go to a Deaf school and why not? Would racism be an issue for a student who has hearing parents, or has a CI ? This just touches on a couple of scenarios that could be addressed and would be an interesting conversation in Catonsville :) I would like to see more people answer these honesty. I am from a family of Deaf, hard of hearing , and hearing.

Last edited:
Specifically, I see you are asking about Deaf racism. So, I will not comment on other scenarios. Absolutely, In varying degrees there is racism against the Deaf/deaf and the hearing. I have seen racism against the Deaf from hearing persons and racism against the hearing from Deaf/deaf. Many people do not see this or realize this unless they are involved with the deaf or Deaf community. I see this more prevalent in certain regions of the country. I have seen prejudices towards cochlear implants, hearing parents in Deaf schools, and deaf students in hearing schools ,and there is no age limit to the prejudicial behavior.If divisions were repaired and the prejudices curtailed deaf schools would be more successful with enrollment.I hope leaders realize there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Deaf schools are losing an enormous amount of students to hearing schools when they can be accommodated at Deaf schools.Most of the students mainstreamed and born deaf have hearing parents. Why would they go to a Deaf school and why not? Would racism be an issue for a student who has hearing parents, or has a CI ? This just touches on a couple of scenarios that could be addressed and would be an interesting conversation in Catonsville :) I would like to see more people answer these honesty. I am from a family of Deaf, hard of hearing , and hearing.

Why don't you create a new thread with a specific question since this thread is 11 yrs ago.

There is racism in every part of any culture. Racism isn't about the culture, but the individuals in it. You will always have individuals in every walk of life somewhere part of every culture who are racist, plain and simple.

There is racism in every part of any culture. Racism isn't about the culture, but the individuals in it. You will always have individuals in every walk of life somewhere part of every culture who are racist, plain and simple.

I am sorry that it is not true when you are talking about that Racism isn't about the Culture. Yes, it has a lot to do with it. Many hearing people who do not understand about Deaf Culture are really against them and want the d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing to be like the hearing people (their own way). Just like Native American, they don't want us to be here on Mother Earth at all. They wanted to have their own way without us. They are being selfish about wanting their own way. So they are trying to genocide us so that they don't have to deal with us anymore. That is what make me very upset about not getting our needs from the government for our rights. As for the d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing, we really need to get our rights as a d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing. If not, then we will suffer through their ignorance and prejudice (spelling) including to be abused in the hearing classrooms, even in the Deaf schools (they have hearing staff members working there). :(

I am sorry that it is not true when you are talking about that Racism isn't about the Culture. Yes, it has a lot to do with it. Many hearing people who do not understand about Deaf Culture are really against them and want the d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing to be like the hearing people (their own way). Just like Native American, they don't want us to be here on Mother Earth at all. They wanted to have their own way without us. They are being selfish about wanting their own way. So they are trying to genocide us so that they don't have to deal with us anymore. That is what make me very upset about not getting our needs from the government for our rights. As for the d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing, we really need to get our rights as a d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing. If not, then we will suffer through their ignorance and prejudice (spelling) including to be abused in the hearing classrooms, even in the Deaf schools (they have hearing staff members working there). :(

I think you misunderstand... :doh:

The question was basically are there Deaf people who are racist? The answer, yes, there are definitely Deaf people who are racist. There are people who are black who are racist, people who are white who are racist, people who are Deaf who are racist, people who are young and who are old who are all racist. Racism doesn't stick to just one group of people, there are people from all walks of life and all different groups who are racist. I do not support racism in any way shape or form, however I do know a few Deaf people who are racist. It definitely does happen and exists. Deaf people are just the same as the majority of the population except we can't hear. However, we still have things like racism and intolerance that happen. Not sure how this question tied into your random spew on about Native American's not getting their rights ect ect, but that was completely unrelated to the question the OP asked. Plain and simple, Deaf people can be and some are racist. Sad, but true.

I thought that we, d/Deaf are against hearing people for putting us down. I don't remember about d/Deaf being against d/Deaf who are in different culture like diversity. I knew that Hard Of Hearing were against us being d/Deaf as Hard Of Hearing have mild to moderate hearing loss than us being severe to profound deafness. I never knew if they were against us for being who we are as a diversity people. Both of us, being d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing were always get into battle with each other just because Hard Of Hearing are more oral than us, Deafies.

But for the hearing people no matter what culture they come from as diversity people, they tried to put us down to do what they want from us in their own way. So I stand with that one in the earlier post.

I don't remember about d/Deaf being against d/Deaf who are in different culture like diversity.

Trust me, I went to college with a lot of deaf folks, and have met many more outside of college.....there are a lot of deaf folks that are against other deaf folks due to race, religion, political beliefs, disability, and many others.

What Mewtilation is trying to say is that Racism is not limited to hearing people.....in the deaf culture, there are plenty of racists to be found.

Trust me, I went to college with a lot of deaf folks, and have met many more outside of college.....there are a lot of deaf folks that are against other deaf folks due to race, religion, political beliefs, disability, and many others.

What Mewtilation is trying to say is that Racism is not limited to hearing people.....in the deaf culture, there are plenty of racists to be found.

Exactly. Sad, but true.

As for the above post, I personally don't see why anyone has to be against anyone and why we can't just all live together without judging off of anything but integrity and actions. *sigh* Of course, there will always be those people I never understand. :dunno2:

How does someone even manage to find an almost 11 year old post to comment on as their first post here? Wouldn't there be something more interesting and current to reply to than a post that was already answered a decade ago?

I am in agreement. I have seen the same in both Deaf and hearing worlds.

Back