R12 and R134A refrigerant

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
I realized that AC isn't cooling my car very well in extremely hot and humid so I learned that any cars that built after 1995 are equipped with R134A.

When I was little kid, the cars were equipped with R12 and it was cooling like freeze - feel good. It take 5 minutes to cool the car completely but my car with R134A take 30 minutes to cool completely.

I miss old day. :(

Yeah, cuz of EPA emission regulations particularly CARB.

I realized that AC isn't cooling my car very well in extremely hot and humid so I learned that any cars that built after 1995 are equipped with R134A.

When I was little kid, the cars were equipped with R12 and it was cooling like freeze - feel good. It take 5 minutes to cool the car completely but my car with R134A take 30 minutes to cool completely.

I miss old day. :(

You may need to recharge your system if it's not working very well. Or the pump could be worn out. The ac in my dads new car is ice cold but in my 20 yo jeep not so much.

Yeah, cuz of EPA emission regulations particularly CARB.

It was EPA regulation about ozone layer deleption, different from emission in gasoline and diesel.

Also it was under Montreal Protocol that where R22 freon will getting expensive to charge in all houses built before 2010 and will be banned by 2020.

My old Astro w/R134a, still have cold air for about 5 years when I replaced compressor, accumulator and orific tube.
Foxrac, why don't you take ur car to the repair shop? Tight azz? :giggle:

You may need to recharge your system if it's not working very well. Or the pump could be worn out. The ac in my dads new car is ice cold but in my 20 yo jeep not so much.
yep, my truck runs 134a and it will freeze me out of it ( my son covers with a blanket in the car seat ) even when the truck sits in full sun, very hot inside.

Set the recirculating button to only cool the cabin air, not pull fresh, HOT outside air in.... my truck and cars cool in under a minute usually.

Houses coverted to the new 410.... and it works very well also.

My father is HVAC technician and he said R410A has leak issues that is common than R22.

Most homes (more than 90%) use R22 so government shouldn't killing R22 - it only used for older AC equipment.

My old Astro w/R134a, still have cold air for about 5 years when I replaced compressor, accumulator and orific tube.
Foxrac, why don't you take ur car to the repair shop? Tight azz? :giggle:

I discussed with my father but unfortunately, it is hot outside (over 90 F with humidity) so it make harder for my car to cooling everything.

After September, it is cold like freeze if I set below 70.

Most AC are designed to cooling about up to 90-95 degree (15-20 degree). If outside is 100 F so AC is effectively cooling at 80 F in home so cannot go below unless you have very larger AC unit, put more trees and higher R insulation.

My father is HVAC technician and he said R410A has leak issues that is common than R22.

Most homes (more than 90%) use R22 so government shouldn't killing R22 - it only used for older AC equipment.

Cool. I did some tune up in my refrigerator like vacuum up dust from condenser and fan blade, never been service it before. I know it is easy to fix or replace than the vehicle.

I discussed with my father but unfortunately, it is hot outside (over 90 F with humidity) so it make harder for my car to cooling everything.

After September, it is cold like freeze if I set below 70.

Most AC are designed to cooling about up to 90-95 degree (15-20 degree). If outside is 100 F so AC is effectively cooling at 80 F in home so cannot go below unless you have very larger AC unit, put more trees and higher R insulation.

Oh I understand clear...... Your car have low freon or moisture/air in system, time for AC service if your car haven't service for long time...If your car have been service in few months or year ago, I would suspect there is too much oil in system or weak compressor like what jonnyghost mentioned... Hope that help...

Skip to 3:45

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W7GIEMC9mw[/ame]

I never seen 31 degree F in my life. I don't trust Chinese made digital thermostic or need recalibrate thermostic. Most I service AC in SoCal is above 36 degree F with 70 degree F ambient temperature and low humid.
I cant find my video, but when I done my ac in the Ram, I was able to get 34 degrees ( on a cooking dial type thermo ) and it was nearly 100 degrees outside. Theres a little trick I learned ( you let a little out ) and it gets colder.
Dont know why, but it does.

This was after replacing the compressor, all the little doodads, vac down and refill with 134a ( and yes I added the oil too.

It is very possible to turn my room into cold like ice in summer if I add window unit AC, combined with central AC but it will killing the electricity bill - could be much as add $70-$100 to electricity bill.

My bedroom is on attic level - no wonder about why it is hottest level and our house is 10 years old.

Of course, 30 F in car is possible if I disable climate control and let AC running on high setting. Lowest AC setting in my car is 60 F and with climate control, when temperature hit 60 so they automatically adjust to lower the setting. Disable climate control allows AC to running on max setting to make cold - it works very well after September but in summer (exception of rainy day), it take forever.

Yes, I have to get AC checked in my car.

I cant find my video, but when I done my ac in the Ram, I was able to get 34 degrees ( on a cooking dial type thermo ) and it was nearly 100 degrees outside. Theres a little trick I learned ( you let a little out ) and it gets colder.
Dont know why, but it does.

This was after replacing the compressor, all the little doodads, vac down and refill with 134a ( and yes I added the oil too.

Yeah because the high speed blower will flow the evaporator core, cause the vent outlet temperature little higher. Get real cold, set low speed blower.
I still use my old 1 inch dial thermometer, hard to read small dial thermometer.

It is very possible to turn my room into cold like ice in summer if I add window unit AC, combined with central AC but it will killing the electricity bill - could be much as add $70-$100 to electricity bill.

My bedroom is on attic level - no wonder about why it is hottest level and our house is 10 years old.

Of course, 30 F in car is possible if I disable climate control and let AC running on high setting. Lowest AC setting in my car is 60 F and with climate control, when temperature hit 60 so they automatically adjust to lower the setting. Disable climate control allows AC to running on max setting to make cold - it works very well after September but in summer (exception of rainy day), it take forever.

Yes, I have to get AC checked in my car.

Most vehicles have evaporator temperature sensors in HVAC cases under the dash, PCM or BCM use this evaporator temperature sensor to shut A/C compressor down if the temperature reach freezing point of 32 degree F to prevent freeze or icing in the evaporator. That is why I never see 30 or 31 degree F.

Back