Quitting smoking?

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
My husband just had his last cigarette as of Friday night cuz he really wants to quit to save $$ as the price of tobacco tax has risen significantly and we are struggling a little bit with our finances.

Anyways, he warned me that he will be irritable and cranky and may blow up on me. Last night, I was joking with him about losing the remote control and he snapped at me. I just backed off.

My issue is that I am wondering if it is an excuse for him to be moody or does going the the withdrawals make someone really easily irritated?

Want to know what your experiences with going thru the withdrawals were like when u quit smoking?

I am worried that with me being stressed out about the custody battle and him being "short-tempered" it may have an impact on our marriage. The last time he quit smoking was 3 years ago and it wasnt pleasant. I really want him to quit but I wonder if it is really worth all the drama? Any advice?

Thanks!

Ask him if he is willing to join u to the fitness club to stop craving for it. It worked for me and I haven't touch it for 5 yrs.

Who says quitting is easy?

Well he warned you.. Just give him support because quitting smoking will have him living longer, save up enoromous money. Having him being cranky from temptation on smoking is really temporary.

Nicotine helps you calm down, even with stresses. Withdrawl that nicotine, one is not used to stress and trying to figure out how to manage stress without the help of Nicotine. Of course, it means cranky.

I have been nicotine free for almost 14 years! Feels so great!

I have never smoked so I dont know what it is like. That's why I am wondering about the irritability. Yea, he is supposed to work out in the mornings but lately, he hasnt been consistent with it. I will ask him to join me for walks in the evening.

Thanks DHB and Moondancer. :ty:

I can't quit smoking because I don't want to deal with the bitchness I would go through.

I'm a "social smoker". Or a "closet smoker" in times of stress, etc. ...I quit many, many times and last year, quit for 9 months, "cold turkey".

Becoming irritable, losing patience, eating all the time, etc., is part of the withdrawal. It's T-O-U-G-H!

I gained 20 lbs. when I quit....

It's gonna take a "lot of patience" on ur part...and his! Making the excuse that "maybe it's not the right time to quit".....is just that, an excuse....Patience is the key, deep breaths, and "walking it off" is good!

Wish him luck! Just remember he's not really mad at ya! It's the withdrawal talking.

I am quit smoke I am happy I final do it i don't like smoke anymore i need to stop smoke I don't like smoke I am happy I am very esay quit smoke no more..

My husband just had his last cigarette as of Friday night cuz he really wants to quit to save $$ as the price of tobacco tax has risen significantly and we are struggling a little bit with our finances.

Anyways, he warned me that he will be irritable and cranky and may blow up on me. Last night, I was joking with him about losing the remote control and he snapped at me. I just backed off.

My issue is that I am wondering if it is an excuse for him to be moody or does going the the withdrawals make someone really easily irritated?

Want to know what your experiences with going thru the withdrawals were like when u quit smoking?

I am worried that with me being stressed out about the custody battle and him being "short-tempered" it may have an impact on our marriage. The last time he quit smoking was 3 years ago and it wasnt pleasant. I really want him to quit but I wonder if it is really worth all the drama? Any advice?

Thanks!
Withdrawal from nicotine is hell. It will affect his mood, his concentration, his sleep, and his appetite. Nicotine and heroin are the two most difficult physical addictions to break.

Withdrawal from nicotine is hell. It will affect his mood, his concentration, his sleep, and his appetite. Nicotine and heroin are the two most difficult physical addictions to break.

Geez! I hope I can handle it. I just have to hope the custody battle doesnt get me stressed cuz when I feel things going beyond my control, my anxiety level shoots up.

How long will this last?

Geez! I hope I can handle it. I just have to hope the custody battle doesnt get me stressed cuz when I feel things going beyond my control, my anxiety level shoots up.

How long will this last?

He should start to notice improvement at about 3 months, but some mild symptoms can last up to a year after quitting. A lot of it depends on how heavy a smoker he was.

This is going to be tough for you guys with everything that is going on at once. Just try not to take his irritability personally...he really doesn't mean it toward you. You just happen to be the one that is there. Right now, he'd take it out on anyone that was convenient!:lol:

Maybe you guys could sit down and come to an understanding that you are both really stressed right now, and come up with some guidelines for both of you. And discuss the need for both of you to try your best to be patient with each other right now.

Quit smoking isn't easy. It is my tenth time to quit and come back to smoke again for almost 40 years. This time I am working on it with my solution from getting into craving. Iam smoke free for 5 yrs now. I know its tough but I do my best to do pay attention to my health comes first. Wish u the best with ur hubby, shel with ur support for him. It takes a lot patience in a while.

Yea, been there I have tried quit countless times. I find it almost impossible. The worst one was when I was few months free from smoking and I was working for a company. My boss ordered me to do something that is a violation against a city Ordiance, and I had to dealt with inspector, same time with my boss. It was nasty middle, and happen I saw a mini mart next door, Marlboro... 75 cents a pack... That was my last time I relapsed. Then I moved back to New York, quit smoking and that was it, the cost per pack in NYS was about 3 dollars a pack. Roght now its 7.50 a pack, whew glad Im not smoking!
Quit smoking isn't easy. It is my tenth time to quit and come back to smoke again for almost 40 years. This time I am working on it with my solution from getting into craving. Iam smoke free for 5 yrs now. I know its tough but I do my best to do pay attention to my health comes first. Wish u the best with ur hubby, shel with ur support for him. It takes a lot patience in a while.

Yea, been there I have tried quit countless times. I find it almost impossible. The worst one was when I was few months free from smoking and I was working for a company. My boss ordered me to do something that is a violation against a city Ordiance, and I had to dealt with inspector, same time with my boss. It was nasty middle, and happen I saw a mini mart next door, Marlboro... 75 cents a pack... That was my last time I relapsed. Then I moved back to New York, quit smoking and that was it, the cost per pack in NYS was about 3 dollars a pack. Roght now its 7.50 a pack, whew glad Im not smoking!

Wow! You been quit for a long time! Congratulations.

I quit smoking over a year ago - January 1, 2008 - I still crave nicotine fix but wont go back there - hang in there, I didnt want to work out or be nice - I was taking each minute literally at a time - Each hour was an agony for me.

I would just back off and let him cope on his own terms - it is not easy - but kudos to him to trying again!

i would agree with posts!!

im been smoking for years dues i had lung surgery when i was 12 years but i start smoking at 18 years old but my mom got mad!! but my vows to quit smoking they passed to my brother i hates that remind of my late grandfather.

my late grandfather been smoking for longtimes till he got 2 heart attacks in 1975 and 1976 but he passed away in 1976 and he never makes it for heart surgery ASAP my grandmother explains that my late grandfather should get heart surgery in Houston,Texas!! im wishes my late grandfather will alives today and i never see him before i was born but i was his first granddaughter.

It's easy to quit. I've done it 5 times. I have quit again this time it's been two years for me smoke free. I feel better and I believe it's in everybodys best interest to quit smoking. That said I did go through some tough irritable times and snapped now and then. Maybe have him try some quit smoking gum or the patch. It will calm the nerves. All the best in quitting because I know from personal experience that it aint easy.

going through cold turkey is tough thing cranky and etc... i know
when i quit i start bitching people and now i don't that i haven't had cigs for 2 years.

Back