questions to ask all of you. Please ansrew.

ASLgurl17

Reaction score
:3some: Hey people. I have some huge questions to ask you. I hope you'll be able to help me out. These questions are basically for anyone who thinks they can help me.
For my English class I have to write an investigative essay. I have decided to write about "Interpretors for the Deaf"..since I am going to school for this. Here are some questions that I have .. if you don't have the time you don't have to answer ALL OF THEM but at least answer a few of them. Thanks. Here they are:

1) What is a deaf interpretor?
2) What do they do?
3) Give me some advantages of being an interprerer
4) Some Disadvantages about being an interpreter
5) How much money does an interpreter make?
6) What kind of schooling do I need to become a professional interpreter?
7) Where do interpreters interprete?
8) How do you start?

There you go. Those are the questions. Now, my first part of my essay (which is this part) is due on Monday. So if you guys could please write me back that would be great. Im just getting some insight. I'm also later on..interviewing an interpreter that teachers ASL here at my school (or should I say college). OH, I had one more question. Can any of you guys give me good websites too to be able to find some of this information for myself? BEcause I also would like to put in some good statistics like maybe ____% of the world is deaf. Some statistics that people don't know about. SO thank you guys sooo much. I truly and greatly appreciate it. I'll be checking back here in an hour or so. Thanks.

~ASLgurl17~

ASLgurl17 said:
:3some: Hey people. I have some huge questions to ask you. I hope you'll be able to help me out. These questions are basically for anyone who thinks they can help me.
For my English class I have to write an investigative essay. I have decided to write about "Interpretors for the Deaf"..since I am going to school for this. Here are some questions that I have .. if you don't have the time you don't have to answer ALL OF THEM but at least answer a few of them. Thanks. Here they are:

1) What is a deaf interpretor?
2) What do they do?
3) Give me some advantages of being an interprerer
4) Some Disadvantages about being an interpreter
5) How much money does an interpreter make?
6) What kind of schooling do I need to become a professional interpreter?
7) Where do interpreters interprete?
8) How do you start?

There you go. Those are the questions. Now, my first part of my essay (which is this part) is due on Monday. So if you guys could please write me back that would be great. Im just getting some insight. I'm also later on..interviewing an interpreter that teachers ASL here at my school (or should I say college). OH, I had one more question. Can any of you guys give me good websites too to be able to find some of this information for myself? BEcause I also would like to put in some good statistics like maybe ____% of the world is deaf. Some statistics that people don't know about. SO thank you guys sooo much. I truly and greatly appreciate it. I'll be checking back here in an hour or so. Thanks.

~ASLgurl17~

yo, minney gal.

I'm willing to help ya.

1- Deaf interpreter is an language translator in all fields (ASL, SEE, Cued, Deaf/blind, lipreading)
2- Interpreter do listen to the voice person, then signs to the deaf/ hard of hearing clinet what the voice person says. (some professional interpreter signs what they hear surround for example, when i was waiting in doctor's office interpreter tells me what they hear out of the office like train whistling, etc..) and they listen to deaf/ hard of hearing clinet what they're saying.. then transulate to voice.

3- Advantage for interpreters can depend on invidually.. only advantage i can think is that they know ASL. Maybe other thing is..( so called free class) what i mean by that is interpreter interpts druing college class, interpreter probally can learn some info from class..
there's more, but i can't think of some..

4- disadvantage i think is that they have to keep it confidical (sp) i know this is hard on interpreter because most interpreter social with deaf peeps.

5- all interpreters make vary ranges of income.. i will say $15/hr to $150/hr.. depends on their skill, their charge, etc.. for $15/hr.. probally is the income for interpreter who interpt for high school class..
and for $150/hr.. could be for interpreter who interpt for court, and other Serious places.

6- you will need to take ASL classes, some general classes, etc.. it's just depend on what degree you want to have. AA degree, or BA degree, or MA degree.

7- Interpreter interpts EVERYWHERE Schools, doctor office, hosiptal, meetings, court, etc...

8- What do u mean by how to start?

Ahh good question about a website for how many deaf people.. but
I have heard the fact.. 28.8 Million Deaf/ Hard of hearing people live in USA out of 281 million people..

about 10% of population are deaf/ hard of hearing..

feel free to ask me questions

hey hun

Hey hun. Umm thanks so much for ansrewing me. Umm I actually do have one question..where did you find the statistic : 10% OF THE POPULATION IS DEAF/HOH? I might have to state that in my essay to show that its true and not false

DeafSCUBA98 said:
yo, minney gal.

I'm willing to help ya.

1- Deaf interpreter is an language translator in all fields (ASL, SEE, Cued, Deaf/blind, lipreading)
2- Interpreter do listen to the voice person, then signs to the deaf/ hard of hearing clinet what the voice person says. (some professional interpreter signs what they hear surround for example, when i was waiting in doctor's office interpreter tells me what they hear out of the office like train whistling, etc..) and they listen to deaf/ hard of hearing clinet what they're saying.. then transulate to voice.

3- Advantage for interpreters can depend on invidually.. only advantage i can think is that they know ASL. Maybe other thing is..( so called free class) what i mean by that is interpreter interpts druing college class, interpreter probally can learn some info from class..

4- disadvantage i think is that they have to keep it confidical (sp) i know this is hard on interpreter because most interpreter social with deaf peeps.

5- all interpreters make vary ranges of income.. i will say $15/hr to $150/hr.. depends on their skill, their charge, etc.. for $15/hr.. probally is the income for interpreter who interpt for high school class..
and for $150/hr.. could be for interpreter who interpt for court, and other Serious places.

6- you will need to take ASL classes, some general classes, etc.. it's just depend on what degree you want to have. AA degree, or BA degree, or MA degree.

7- Interpreter interpts EVERYWHERE Schools, doctor office, hosiptal, meetings, court, etc...

I have heard the fact.. 28.8 Million Deaf/ Hard of hearing people live in USA out of 281 million people..

hi

Hey thanks for answering me. Umm I did have one question tho..where did you find the statistic: 10% of the population is deaf/hoh? I might have to tell that in my essay so that I know its not false, but make sure its a true statistic. Thanks.

~ASL GURL~

DeafSCUBA98 said:
yo, minney gal.

I'm willing to help ya.

Let me know if this helps...http://www.spps.org/spec_ed/D_HH_services.html

u will notice it under the NAD..

National Association of the Deaf

http://www.nad.org

Founded in 1880, the National Association of the Deaf (NAD)is the oldest and largest organization representing people with disabilities in the United States. The NAD safeguards the accessibility and civil rights of 28 million deaf and hard of hearing Americans in a variety of areas including education, employment, health care and social services, and telecommunications.

Don't know if I should reply in case this is too late but if you want information, try e-mailing a deaf society organisation and ask them for information on their intepreting services. Most of the places will have the same sort of interpreting standard I think. I hope that helps.

1. A deaf interpreter or CDI is someone who first has to be deemed deaf by an audiologist. Second, the deaf individul must pass a a test thet will now be a from the RID/Nad merger. A deaf interpreter in almost all cases works with a hearing interprer. the hearing interpreter listens to the speaker, the heraing interpreter will transliterate the message then the CDI will changs them message into ASL for the deaf client or clients.

2.see #1

3. For me it's the satisfaction of helping people. Also, you learn so many different things about various fields. A wonderfurl profession.

4.Well, don't mean to offend anyone and I am a christian. Honestly, this is a field dominated by women and gossip runs rampent. I'm not saying men don't gossip, but I've never had a problem with a deaf/hh client. I have run into some road blocks with other terps because of reasons unrelated to interpreting.
That's life.

5. Depends on your credentials and the state in which you work.

6. Actually in most states at least right now you don't need any schooling whatsoever. To become a certified interpreter you need to pass a written and performance based test the will soon be administered by RID/NAD which are combining.

7. Interpreters/Transliterators work in al kinds of settings. ie. schools, courts, medical settings, police situations, Voc. Rehab, job interviews and many more

8. If you are college bound find a good ITP and immerse yourself in the deaf community even if at first you meet some resisitance. That is where you will learn the ASL. Good luck and God bless

Back