Questions for those who are hard-of-hearing

jaquellequenan

Reaction score
Hello, I have some questions for the folks here that are hard-of-hearing.
- Do you often feel like you do not directly belong to a community?
- Do you notice people seem less likely to accommodate you, as they may deem you do not need it?
- What ways could hospitality services better themselves to help you?

HoH person here.
1. I often feel like I don't belong to any community, which feels very isolating. It's either I'm not too hearing enough or too deaf enough.
2. A lot of people aren't very accomodating to me, and I find myself having to put less effort having to advocate for myself. I give up easily now, and avoid putting myself in situations whereas I know it's a battle to lose simply because I know other people will not be able to or care to accommodate.
3. Honestly, I can't think of any. I feel like any social situation is always a lose-lose situation for HoH people.

Not to be a Debby-Downer. I'm just being realistic about my own experiences, but it goes without saying that I can't speak for other HoH people. Every HoH person experiences these feelings individually, navigate the hearing world differently and possess these opinions differently.

- Do you often feel like you do not directly belong to a community? Yes, but I think it has more to do with the fact that my hearing loss began at age 16, so I'm not as immersed in Deaf Culture
- Do you notice people seem less likely to accommodate you, as they may deem you do not need it? Absolutely. To the point where at time, I will just say i'm Deaf so people understand to look at me when they talk, or whatever it is I need.
- What ways could hospitality services better themselves to help you? Look at me when they speak, not mumble, be patient. Stuff like that.

Back