Questions about ASL...

hankpiece said:
The book I read was called Journey Into The Deaf-World. I believe he learned it from the abbe d'Epee, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for replying back & helping along in bringing up the title of the book. Hopefully soon, when I get to a bookstore &/or the library, I will look that up.

Thank you again. :) :thumb:

Anne. :)

Long ago hard to rember, d'Epee French priest challenged to teach deaf girl by mother, so her child's soul could be saved, looked at the Italian guy from the ?? 1500' s the Spanish model from?? 1600, both of which were monks or clergy, then gathered all the deaf children he could find, the children quickly shared there home signs and agreed on which to use, d'Epee codified and gave French structure Clerc was his prize student took d'Epee' s place after his death? I think, there's books on this, but my point is when they started in America used same model, Martha's Vineyard large deaf population is another story, just to say that the deaf had a hand ✋ in the development, sorry tried to keep it short and we won't even talk about the oral meathod, thanks Germany not

Also it's because ASL wasn't derived from English. It was actually derived from French Sign Language and that's where a lot of the grammar and syntax comes from.
Yes! If someone that knew ASL would be able to follow FSL at least a little bit.

Thank you so much for that input/information.
Now that I have more clearity on the subject,than being up in the early morning, & thinking it over & reading it over again, I think I got lost in the subject :Oops: of "SEE". may I have more explanation/information about that word: "SEE", please .

Thank you. :)

Anne.

Check out , 'Dear Theodosia' from the Broadway musical Hamilton : An American Sign Language (ASL) cover.

Watch the corners of his eyes and the corners of his mouth, that's where, along with the hands, the true meaning comes.

I would like to see more songs put to ASL like Brandon Kazen-Maddox does.
I think a good song to put to ASL is "Eye in The Sky", by the Alan Parsons Group.

Videos like these are such a teaching moment, and you can rewind them to catch the signs.
Brandon is mouthing the words too, which is important.

Music Is Movement, and Resonant Frequencies.
Enjoy

I have this question that I have been wanting to ask,
I just hope that I don't offend anyone here. yes I do realize that there may be a thread/post similar to this quetion, like the thread: "Deaf Culture" & "Ask Deaf People here", but I thought I would rather have my own Thread.
*My question is/are....

Why is signing (sign language)so different than typing to someone (a letter, &/or an e-mail, etc.).Because when you type, respond, &/or reply, it sounds like perfect english, but when you sign in ASL, it is soo very different. Why can't hearing people (who knows ASL) sign in english in the way they speak as oppose to how I was told it should be technically(ASL form)?

I hope I didn't offend anyone with that qestion.

Please feel free to repond,
even if it is good or bad,
depending upon your mood.

Thank you & God Bless. :)

Anne.
No offending anywhere.

I am trained first on SEE, and the writing part falls right into with it. Its the same. One exception was I was homeschooled prior to 7 years old and had Cursive and a couple of other skills not expected of such young people. We didnt call it home schooling then. The SEE at Columbia was my first formal language and it was a cornerstone for all other languages since then in my lifetime. Second was speaking english which was sheer rote memory of so many words. Since it was somewhat same as writing and SEE without the punctuations etc verbally is not too difficult. Only took 4 years to catch up.

ASL came later. I think in the mid 70's SEE was the enforced langauge in addition to speaking at the same time. The so called Doctrine of Total Communication. The reason I sound a little bit half against it is because some deaf do not have very good voices for a variety of very valid reasons not their fault. And the enforced TC was a liability to them in the Hearing world in some ways. So some deaf choose not to speak at all.

ASL into the 80's I found a little strange however I learned what there was of it and started to essentially dispose of all the cumbersome crap that goes with the SEE system and presto ASL. Its much much faster to convey that thought in ASL than in SEE, Voice or Writing. Part of the beauty of Sign Language is that you are using the space around yourself to show time itself, tense and emotions and eventually go into several subjects at once. Much easier to do that in person. Talking about say Peter Paul and Jesus. Well eventually in short order instead of going over each one by name, you point here or there in ASL that shows which of the three you are talking about specifically. Then weave the story as you go. Its amazing.

When you get into music and singing then its awesome when done right. It CAN BE knockdown funny when you introduce a form of satire and other comedy into it without trying too hard. Have a whole audiotorium rolling in the seats. The favorite theme would be to pick say any person well known to the school and then create a funny about that person not only employing the things I wrote here in this post but also introduce imitation. You become that person in that moment in very good copy. Once the classmates recognize the imitated person and the joke etc its really good.

At the same time it can be very cutting like a sword if used maliciously. Remember anything is possible in the entire range of human thought and feeling. There is no barrier due to emotion, stress or love etc...

Thats the last thought I offer to those not familiar with Sign Langauge or the deaf culture. I used to tease years ago that if you had two deaf lovers together and turned the lights out, how in the world are they to know what to say or do? =)

Back