Question

deafie_cat

Reaction score
Here's a question about everyone's *favourite* topic.. CI.. ;)

I have fluctuating deafness.. usually it is at moderately severe to severe in both ears, and it will go up and down between those two often.. on occasions, it has gone up to moderate (mostly in my left ear), and I swear that on other freak occasions it goes down to nearly profound (in my right ear mostly, although it doesn't stay at profound for more than an hour on most occasions- usually stays on severe). I wear two hearing aids.

another problem is that i think it may be a progressive loss, even though it is happening quite slowly, although i have no way of knowing whether or not i am right about that, since my audiologists/ENT/etc have no idea what the problem is with my ears.. and believe me when i say i've gone through a LOT of tests! :crazy:

one of my audiologist/ent/etc suggested the idea of CI since it might stop the fluctuating (and my other problem, non-stop tinnitus) but since the problem is unknown and I haven't been able to catch the lower side of my deafness on an audiogram. so that idea really can only be described as an idea.

anyways- my questions are mainly to those who have CIs.

If you had tinnitus before CI- has the CI cured it?

Have you ever known or found out about someone in a similar situation that received a CI? If so, has it helped them?

thanks

:bowdown:deafie~cat;)

:dizzy:

:ily:

Last edited:
Just a warning- once you implant a CI you lose ALL residual hearing in that ear. I've known kids who have gotten shafted by this, but also some of my friends have had amazing success with it.

Really? that's something I didn't know. Well, I don't really have to make any such decision right now since I'm not seriously considering it yet.. I'm rather just curious. But thanks for telling me that, I thought you kept what residual hearing you had.

deafie_cat said:
Really? that's something I didn't know. Well, I don't really have to make any such decision right now since I'm not seriously considering it yet.. I'm rather just curious. But thanks for telling me that, I thought you kept what residual hearing you had.

Hi, I had surgery last week, they told me that they had to "damage" the hearing left I had on my right ear. So I've made the decision and let them do it. I still have hearing left on my left ear which I am using with my HA.

Yes, it's true -- the residual hearing is destroyed on the CI implantation area. I have a CI and I had tinnitus prior to getting the CI, nowadays, I don't have tinnitus anymore. ;)

PurpleRose71 said:
Yes, it's true -- the residual hearing is destroyed on the CI implantation area. I have a CI and I had tinnitus prior to getting the CI, nowadays, I don't have tinnitus anymore. ;)

I have tinnitus right now. The Surgeron told me that it will go away. So I am very patient with it .. :ugh: but Ill live.. ;)

Yea, my friend told me same thing as ur saying, deafie_cat. Make me wonder and considering (not 100% confidence). Still researching on it.

Tinnitus is no fun at all!! Struggling with this since 1992. Same year as I stopped wear hearing aid (left side) cuz of that. Ofc, I do have Meniere's disease.

I didnt have tinnitus before surgery. Now I do but the surgeron said it is okay. I assume it will go away since its healing. :dunno:

thanks for all the replies

now i have some more questions :nana:

how much better is the sound quality of a CI than a HA?

do you know anyone(or do you yourself) who has a loss like mine and a CI?

is it REALLY annoying to have to carry a battery around with you all day?

_____

that said, I want to say that I don't think I want to get a CI. I am just curious as to if it would be better.. sometimes, like most of us do (as far as I know anyways), i get really tired of being deaf and want to break my hearing aids, lol!! but I want to hear, and since I'm pursuing a career where it could potentially be dangerous for me without good hearing I also want to know how much safer it might be if I were to get a CI in at least one ear. (Then again I doubt I even qualify for a CI..)
anways, if anyone can answer my questions i would be very grateful

thanks a lot
deafie~cat :D

Hi deafie cat,
Tough question.... it sounds like you hear decently with just plain ol' hearing aids but on the other hand I totally emphasize with you in regards to the tintinus. I have it occasionally and it is a pain...I know that they've had sucess in amelirating/eliminating the tintitinas in Meniere's disease...on the other hand I know that a percentage of implantees have tintinas post-implantation.

Lianca said:
I have tinnitus right now. The Surgeron told me that it will go away. So I am very patient with it .. :ugh: but Ill live.. ;)

Tinnitus is one made the sound inside your ear after the surgery implanted the cochlea? Because I got one too on Two week ago which is July 15th. Today, I am getting as bad moment about my face. However, my doctor say it normal when it swelling and it will go away. You know what is it? My eye can't shut. So I have to wear the eye protect until the swelling is go away.

ideafspy said:
Tinnitus is one made the sound inside your ear after the surgery implanted the cochlea? Because I got one too on Two week ago which is July 15th. Today, I am getting as bad moment about my face. However, my doctor say it normal when it swelling and it will go away. You know what is it? My eye can't shut. So I have to wear the eye protect until the swelling is go away.

Did you said you had surgery on July 15th? I had mine that day. I didn't have Tinnitus till last Wednesday. Oh I am sorry it's swell up bad. Did you feel ur face nerve?? I feel mine but my taste bud is gone alittle on my right side but the surgeron said it will come back. Let me know how u are doing okay? I'll think of you!

ideafspy said:

Oh no..hope you recover from that -- have you seen the doctor about the lack of muscle movements on the implanted side of face?
I remember when I first had the operation...a nurse woke me up a couple of times through the night and asked for me to smile and tell her if I felt her touching my cheek on the same side where I had the CI. She was checking on the facial nerve and ensure no damage was done to it for the duration of the operation.

ideafspy said:
Because I got one too on Two week ago which is July 15th. Today, I am getting as bad moment about my face. However, my doctor say it normal when it swelling and it will go away. You know what is it? My eye can't shut. So I have to wear the eye protect until the swelling is go away.

Holy cow, that's not supposed to happen! I'm sure you've already seen your doctor about this, but man, if you haven't, go NOW!

deafie_cat said:

The implant completely bypasses the eardrum/middle ear bones/cochlea connection. The implant directly interfaces with and stimulates the nerves in the cochlea to provide aural feedback. The eardrum and middle ear are rendered useless, thus no "residual hearing" remains for that ear.

As for tinninus, I was experiencing a tremendous amount of tinni while I wore my aids, and for the first month after the surgery the tinnitus was stronger than ever before. However, it then tapered off and now I only barely notice it when I take off the device. So, my symptoms were definitely relieved after the surgery, but it took some time for it to take effect.

how much better is the sound quality of a CI than a HA?

do you know anyone(or do you yourself) who has a loss like mine and a CI?

is it REALLY annoying to have to carry a battery around with you all day?

For me, it's definitely much better. The clarity is there, vs with the hearing aid, I certainly had a much more difficult time understanding speech or music. For heaven's sake, it's so much easier for me to listen to song lyrics and follow along, vs. just picking up the beat and making up words as I go.

It's certainly different to be carrying around a body processor than just relying on old behind the ear aids -- but new technology is always coming out and the newer CI's are all behind the ear now.

My line of work certainly benefits from having a choice between being deaf and "hearing" and I could imagine that if you're choosing a line of work where your life could be on the line without hearing that you would be much better off researching more into the options of life with a CI.

Last edited:
Dennis said:
Holy cow, that's not supposed to happen! I'm sure you've already seen your doctor about this, but man, if you haven't, go NOW!

Yes, I went doctor today. Everything is turn out fine. I learn that when there a implant on cochlear. Where the cochlea's nerves gone to the brain. Sometime, the brain or the head where the fuild fell or jump over the cochlea that push more fuild and press against the nerves where that handle the movement for the face. The doctor called the WalGreen to give me the pills. It normal take 24 and 48 hours to made the eye shut down back itself inlcude the lip will go back to smile again. Doctor glad thing has not been serious. :)

However, the doctor said it happen to several people who had no problem everything with cochlear implant after surgery such as dizzy, sore, and pain will get better after one weeks. So the face of nerves stopped function. It normal. So I am happy and looking forward to see activation date on Aug 16th

ideafspy said:
Yes, I went doctor today. Everything is turn out fine. I learn that when there a implant on cochlear. Where the cochlea's nerves gone to the brain. Sometime, the brain or the head where the fuild fell or jump over the cochlea that push more fuild and press against the nerves where that handle the movement for the face. The doctor called the WalGreen to give me the pills. It normal take 24 and 48 hours to made the eye shut down back itself inlcude the lip will go back to smile again. Doctor glad thing has not been serious. :)

However, the doctor said it happen to several people who had no problem everything with cochlear implant after surgery such as dizzy, sore, and pain will get better after one weeks. So the face of nerves stopped function. It normal. So I am happy and looking forward to see activation date on Aug 16th

Hey I am glad you went to see the Dr. Also give u the new medication. Whew!

Good luck for your activation appt on Aug 16th. Mine is on 18th. :)

Back