Question: using my BB in Philippine?

thechaostheory

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be staying in Philippine for 27 days in July.. my question is, I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 from Sprint with Sprint Relay Plan.. I have a friend who work at Sprint, he said he would be able to hook me up with 40 dollars international data plan, that's right, 40 dollars... now I wonder will there be any hidden fee?

All i will be using is google maps, opera, text, emails, BBM, and maybe beejive... Can I use my BB as normally I would in USA?

Thanks..

It won't be normal as it would be in U.S.A - you may face high bill when you return, however if it doesn't - you will be considered lucky. Are you on a contract plan? If so, it will work anywhere in the world (as prepaid cellphones doesn't)

Sorry if I am not a much of a help since I knew that I was slapped with a $485 bill when I returned home from America 6 months ago (using iphone)

Yes, I am on two years contract... here is another question, I can buy a pre paid sim card in Philippine and insert into my BB and use it? Sorry, it is my first time using my BB out of the country...

Yes, I am on two years contract... here is another question, I can buy a pre paid sim card in Philippine and insert into my BB and use it? Sorry, it is my first time using my BB out of the country...
is your BB unlocked?

Nopey, will Sprint give me a unlock code?
it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can unlock it for you. If it is locked, there is no garunatee that it will work with pre-paid on a locked BB (which is locked to a specific network)

So, once I got my BB unlocked... I can use ANY pre-paid sim card in Philippine in my BB and it will give me a different phone number, right? But all the data will stay intact, address book intact? Not reformat?

So, once I got my BB unlocked... I can use ANY pre-paid sim card in Philippine in my BB and it will give me a different phone number, right? But all the data will stay intact, address book intact? Not reformat?
Pre-paid will give you a different number locally - the data will not be included.. because the data you get is with your sprint number (which will cost you more when you are outside U.S) Your address book remains intact in the phone. reformat is nonsense.

So pre-paid sim is out of question, it is only GOOD for texting and voice, thats it right? If i want to use data plan only, I gotta stick with Sprint international plan right?

What if I unlock my BB and still use sprint data plan?

So pre-paid sim is out of question, it is only GOOD for texting and voice, thats it right? If i want to use data plan only, I gotta stick with Sprint international plan right?

What if I unlock my BB and still use sprint data plan?
Pre-paid is text and voice with monthly credit, yes.

If you wish to use the data plan, use the international data plan you have but you will have to be aware if you face a slap with the bill when you get home, hidden fees or no hidden fees.

Sprint and Verzion phone are CDMA phones. It don't have sim card in their phones.

I don't think Philippines have CDMA towers.

You need to get GSM phone ie AT&T or TMobile phones which have sim card and make sure it unlocked and quad band phone.

Here an example of a dealer selling sim card in Philippines which work on GSM phone only.

Philippines SIM Cards Philippino SIM

International Roaming for Verizon & Sprint

Sprint & Verizon Blackberry 8830 World Edition and Blackberry Bold 9650 has GSM SIM Card inserted for International GPRS/EDGE/3G Roaming only. Sprint and Verizon has available for GSM international roaming,
Verizon Blackberry Storm and Storm2 has CDMA/GSM to work GSM international roaming

Any Blackberry models has built in CDMA and GSM combo
if you need a unlock for SIM for Blackberry CDMA/GSM combo. and please call Verizon and Sprint about Blackberry unlock service, if you use Sprint or Verizon customer more than 3 months and it would be no charge for unlock service to allow any GSM provider to avoid roaming charges, you can get different sim card from other provider, your blackberry data does not need reformat, address book or other files still in blackberry's memory , you just set for APN setting to allow GPRS/EDGE/3G data access. if you need APN and please contact your GSM carrier where you visit in other countries. if you have Sprint & Verizon GSM Sim card with you, please call Sprint or Verizon -- International Customer Service to give you APN for data roaming access.

Blackberry Curve 8330 and Blackberry Curve 8530 does not support GSM International roam. both does not have built-in GSM , both are CDMA only. but Blackberry Curve 8530 has built-in WiFi and CDMA. Blackberry Curve 8330, Blackberry Bold 9630, Blackberry 8830 does not have built-in Wifi.

Sprint International roaming : International Wireless Service ? From Sprint

Verizon Internatinal Roaming: International Roaming

Sprint and Verzion phone are CDMA phones. It don't have sim card in their phones.

I don't think Philippines have CDMA towers.

You need to get GSM phone ie AT&T or TMobile phones which have sim card and make sure it unlocked and quad band phone.

Here an example of a dealer selling sim card in Philippines which work on GSM phone only.

Philippines SIM Cards Philippino SIM

Last edited:
Sprint & Verizon Blackberry 8830 World Edition and Blackberry Bold 9650 has GSM SIM Card inserted for International GPRS/EDGE/3G Roaming only. Sprint and Verizon has available for GSM international roaming,
Verizon Blackberry Storm and Storm2 has CDMA/GSM to work GSM international roaming

Any Blackberry models has built in CDMA and GSM combo
if you need a unlock for SIM for Blackberry CDMA/GSM combo. and please call Verizon and Sprint about Blackberry unlock service, if you use Sprint or Verizon customer more than 3 months and it would be no charge for unlock service to allow any GSM provider to avoid roaming charges, you can get different sim card from other provider, your blackberry data does not need reformat, address book or other files still in blackberry's memory , you just set for APN setting to allow GPRS/EDGE/3G data access. if you need APN and please contact your GSM carrier where you visit in other countries. if you have Sprint & Verizon GSM Sim card with you, please call Sprint or Verizon -- International Customer Service to give you APN for data roaming access.

Blackberry Curve 8330 and Blackberry Curve 8530 does not support GSM International roam. both does not have built-in GSM , both are CDMA only. but Blackberry Curve 8530 has built-in WiFi and CDMA. Blackberry Curve 8330, Blackberry Bold 9630, Blackberry 8830 does not have built-in Wifi.

Sprint International roaming : International Wireless Service ? From Sprint

Verizon Internatinal Roaming: International Roaming

Right, Sprint and Verizon customers generally can't use their phones when they are out of the country.

Blackberry 8830 World Edition and Blackberry Bold 9650 can use CDMA and GSM, so users able to make SMS (text messaging) and get their email outside of the United States. It includes a slot for a SIM card.

Right... but I went on Mobile Options in Blackberry Tour, it listed three options I can use... GSM/UMTS, 1XEV (CDMA), and Global...

My blackberry Tour also have a sim card so that's mean I can purchase pre-paid sim card for texting only...

I'm been with Sprint since Oct 2009, so they should give me a free unlock code?

I am not sure about Philippine already have CDMA towers set up, but the last time I checked on a website, they said they do... I will do more research about that... so if they do have CDMA phone, that's mean I can use data plan? :shock:

I went on Sprint Relay Store and I found this...

International Travel
The BlackBerry Tour 9630 smartphone operates domestically on the Sprint 3G network, and globally on 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA and quad-band EDGE/GSM/GPRS networks where Sprint has international roaming agreements. With this smartphone, Sprint customers have the power to make or receive phone calls in more than 185 countries and access BlackBerry® data services including email, apps and Web browsing in nearly 150 countries.

I have found this on Sprint website for "Sprint Worldwide Coverage and Rates"

For Sprint customer:
International Roaming in Philippines
Pricing Information International Dialing
Voice Pricing: $2.29/minute
Special Voice Pricing: $1.99/min. with plan
Data Pricing: $0.016/KB
Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Recv'd: $0.05/msg

Traveling Internationally

So if you were using SMS/Text those would be the extra costs.

I couldn't find much information about $40 international data plan of how much data you can use or is it unlimited data.

I have found this on Sprint website for "Sprint Worldwide Coverage and Rates"

For Sprint customer:

Traveling Internationally

So if you were using SMS/Text those would be the extra costs.

I couldn't find much information about $40 international data plan of how much data you can use or is it unlimited data.

A friend of mine who work at Sprint said he would be able to hook me up with 40 dollars unlimited data plan, he said he did for his friend, probably shhhh..... deal.

The best way is to unlock your BB then get prepaid SIM card in Philippines. it is simple as ABC.

Ah turns out I cant get 40 dollars data only because I am on SPrint Relay servie, have to be over 50 dolalrs..

So he changed my plan to Everything Data plan for 69 dollars PLUS Worldwide Blackberry Data 40 dollars, total 110 dollars for next month, when I come back, he will give credit of 50 dollars back .. so... abut 60 dollars i have to owe..

Back