Question - Is knowing the lyrics essential to music

DMOC

Reaction score
Just curious. When listening to, say, blues music, is knowing the lyrics helpful/necessary? Because I'm trying to find songs thave lyrics. Very little luck so far.

Depends on the person doing the listening.

Go to lyrics.com for song lyrics. They usually have them.

Ok, thanks, but how do I hear the song? I don't see any "play" button there? :)

Lyrics.com pretty much just give you the lyrics to the song. When I want to hear a song I usually just google the title, or a line of the song. Usually that will take me directly to a site. I go there a lot cus my hearing is just bad enough I'm seldom sure what is being said when the music is with the voice.

When I want a song I just tell one of my granddaughters and they will limewire it for me, whatever that means.

Limewire is a site that download songs and often have the lyrics in them too depending on what ur looking for.

No... I never understand that lyrics until after I look it up. I like listening to music, but since I cannot understand the lyrics, they obviously do not matter to me. I can understand maybe a couple words in particular out of a song, though. I do typically look up the lyrics to a song that I just listened to that I liked.

Since losing all of my hearing - I don't listen to music anymore. I really miss it. I had turned to classical over the last 10 years before I lost all hearing basically since I couldn't understand what was said.

Since losing all of my hearing - I don't listen to music anymore. I really miss it. I had turned to classical over the last 10 years before I lost all hearing basically since I couldn't understand what was said.

you're not limited to classical. there are instrumentals and electronica! i have about 140 songs on my itunes :D

you're not limited to classical. there are instrumentals and electronica! i have about 140 songs on my itunes :D

Well, I guess I did miss the instrumental, but it's kinda moot now since I can't hear anything. I only feel the beat if I'm next to the speaker.

I just listen to the tunes from my memory. :giggle:

oh wow, nevermind.. just opened itunes and i actually have 261 songs. :shock:

there's some aphex twin, the beach boys, black moth super rainbow, explosions in the sky, a hawk and a hacksaw, mahavishnu orchestra, múm, panda bear, sigur rós, and more.. some of them are scores from television and movies. :)

What I think is amazing for me is that I can look at the cover of our Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 videos and then "hear" the songs from my memory from start to finish.

I also like the video of "Dr. Seuss' My many colored days". It's the Dr. Seuss poem/story done to music and there is computer animation to it. It's wonderful.

Today at church, they did Silent Night and for some reason I started singing it in German. Go figure!!

I would say that it would depend on the song. Some songs focus on the lyrics like ballads. While others it is less of what is said, but how it is said like Enya (new age/rock). Then you have the instrumentals that may not even have any lyrics.

I would say that it would depend on the song. Some songs focus on the lyrics like ballads. While others it is less of what is said, but how it is said like Enya (new age/rock). Then you have the instrumentals that may not even have any lyrics.

I loved Enya!! I really miss hearing her.

While I am hearing, I really don't think lyrics matter as much as a lot of people think.

My boyfriend plays bass in a band, and I only know the lyrics to about 4-5 of their songs, and that's if I really think hard. I love their music, but it seems like whenever I listen to them I "tune out" almost all but him playing, so it's hard to keep up with the words.
I think if the music rocks, that's the important thing.

While I am hearing, I really don't think lyrics matter as much as a lot of people think.

My boyfriend plays bass in a band, and I only know the lyrics to about 4-5 of their songs, and that's if I really think hard. I love their music, but it seems like whenever I listen to them I "tune out" almost all but him playing, so it's hard to keep up with the words.
I think if the music rocks, that's the important thing.
I agree. I'm the same with most music. I tune out the words and enjoy the beat. If some of the words are repetitive or part of the beat, then good... other than that, just the beats are fine.

That's why I like Daft Punk. :)

It depends on the person's reason for listening to music.

If one wants music for dancing or bopping around, then the lyrics aren't important.

If one wants to enjoy rhythmic arrangements, emotions that are evoked from the tunes, and the musicians' skills, then lyrics aren't important.

If one wants to know the story of the song, or enjoys the sound of rhyming words and phrases, then lyrics are important.

Back