Question from a newbie

Hi!

I am hearing and i love ASL and really really want to learn it fluently. I do not have any way to really do this in the area i live though..well not that i am aware of, so i was wondering if you could help me. do you know the best place to learn ASL. Best school? is it CSUN, or Gallaudet, or RIT/NTID or some other place? I really want to learn and i dont even think there is a Deaf community where i live either, so i think i need to move to another state to learn ASL fluently.

anyway any ideas on best school or place to learn ASL?

thanks so much for your help!

33dw677.jpg

At AllDeaf!

Check course listings in colleges in your area for ASL listings.

i agree with Bott..:D there should be a community college or something that has asl classes
or i hope :D
if not go online and check out the dictionaries :D
i dunno if that helps
anyway hope someone answers your questions

WELCOMETO AD btw :D

Hi!

I am hearing and i love ASL and really really want to learn it fluently. I do not have any way to really do this in the area i live though..well not that i am aware of, so i was wondering if you could help me. do you know the best place to learn ASL. Best school? is it CSUN, or Gallaudet, or RIT/NTID or some other place? I really want to learn and i dont even think there is a Deaf community where i live either, so i think i need to move to another state to learn ASL fluently.

anyway any ideas on best school or place to learn ASL?

thanks so much for your help!

First of all, Welcome to AllDeaf!

Before you decide to make a move to another state or another place to learn ASL, You might would like to start by finding a local deaf organization or hit up one of the local universities to find out if they do offer an ASL class or something like that. It takes a while to be fluent in ASL. The best way to be fluent in ASL is to immerse with other deaf people via person. From there, you could decide where to take your next step at.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. The only solution is to go to the Hearing Society in your community. I don't know where you live so that I will try to answer your questions on finding ASL classes. If the Hearing Society don't have classes, then ask them where to find one for you. Sometimes you will find ASL classes for free and sometimes you might have to pay small fee to pay for the ASL lessons. Hope that helps. :fingersx:

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Hope you will enjoy this interesting site. :)

thanks to all for welcoming me to AllDeaf that is so kind of you!

thanks to everyone for your comments i appreciate your replies to my question too.

i took the first course on the website Signing Online - Learn American Sign Language

do you think that is a good site for learning ASL?

have a great weekend!

Last edited:
To start, anything is best. It's very good to start with that site you found. But you also have to be careful, every once a while, signs are actually unique and different and it can mean something else. So, just a warning, watch what you sign and be slow regard how impatient deaf people are. Good luck on your journey to be fluenty in ASL.

Thanks 'Imdeafsowhat' i appreciate your reply. do deaf people want me to sign slow or do they want me to sign fast?

Back