Question for ADULTS who opted for CI in ADULTHOOD

ChrisLS

Reaction score
I was asked why I don't get cochlear implants. I lost my hearing at 2 yrs old and have used hearing aids since, with profound deafness. Why my parents decided against CIs (if that was even an option), I don't know.

This is a question FOR ADULTS ONLY who opted for CI in their *ADULTHOOD*

- What made you decide to get it?
- How did you get past concerns about the aesthetics portion of the CIs?
- How do you feel about your decision?

What made me decide-Cochlear Implant- - became Bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006.

I hever had concerns about my BTE implant. My prior Hearing aid was a Phonak LL6.

No regrets on the decision . My "hearing" now is substantially "better" than when I was in the Profound loss category.-using the Hearing aid.

The decision was made in early 2007-- on referral to Sunnybrook/Toronto- Cochlear Implant section.

The major part of the decision Chris is-exactly what does your ENT doctor find in your ears plus of course how is the operation/Implant to be paid for?

Much success in upcoming journey

I wanted to be able to hear out of the left ear. Hearing aids have never helped my left ear, so I've been going around with just one hearing aid working in the right ear and that was it. Got my left ear CI barely 2 years ago and have been happy so far. I don't care if people notice my ear devices or not, that's never bothered me.

I decided to have CI after had friend tried to convince me to have CI. He had CI surgery and wore Nucelus 24 sound processor month after. I treated him like a guinea pig for 6 months and he loves it so much. I went ahead and have one. I had CI surgery 2006 and after that I love it. I used to have N24 and now new Nucelus 5.. I love new one better and can hear more than I hear from my old Oticon hearing aid. I do hear lot new sounds like leaves rustling and scraping on sidewalk, pin drop in CI office (Audiologist dropped metal ear hook on table by accident) and many more sounds.

The only problem is that I can hear people talking clearly but not words for words.

Catty

HA's were just not working for me any longer. I did a lot of research. I have AB's mid scala and I haven't regretted my decision. I'm now hearing things my hearing friends can't hear. Most people don't notice my processor unless I point it out. It matches my hair color pretty well. I have no problems understanding most words people say at all. With the advanced features on the Naida via Advanced Bionics you have a lot of options for various noise situations but even just day to day, I'm hearing very, very well.

Thanks to all who commented!!!!

CDMeggers - You just described me, to a T!!!
Hearing aids have never helped my left ear, so I've been going around with just one hearing aid working in the right ear and that was it.

I asked my audiologist, and she said she does see the benefit of my getting CI, but also warned that it wouldn't sound as close to the natural sounds as with a hearing aid. I've been considering if it helps me to become a career firefighter, then I should get both -- but then it'd kill what left I have in my right ear, and I've been joking about looking like "Mickey Mouse" with the CIs. Or "half Mickey Mouse" with just the one. HAHAHA!!!!! sigh. I wish there was a trial option for this!

I asked my audiologist, and she said she does see the benefit of my getting CI, but also warned that it wouldn't sound as close to the natural sounds as with a hearing aid. I've been considering if it helps me to become a career firefighter, then I should get both -- but then it'd kill what left I have in my right ear, and I've been joking about looking like "Mickey Mouse" with the CIs. Or "half Mickey Mouse" with just the one. HAHAHA!!!!! sigh. I wish there was a trial option for this!

Do you have a worse ear? Maybe you could get that ear implanted....

Maybe look into the CI Hybrid one. Just read that the FDA has approved this in the US.

Maybe look into the CI Hybrid one. Just read that the FDA has approved this in the US.

Because of fears and misconceptions, everyone looking into it is going to think they want the Hybrid. Only a doctor/audiologist would recommend it and only a select few will qualify. Most who get CIs have progressive loss across all frequencies and want the entire array implanted whether they realize it or not.

If the decision to get a hybrid is left to the patient, they can expect to be left with only being able to hear with half an electrode unless they have it explanted and a full array implanted with an additional surgical procedure.

Unless you have very stable low frequencies, forget about it.

I had wondered if the candidacy was even narrower for the newer CI/hybrid device or not. It does say that some residual hearing is preserved but it seems to me that this is still relatively new anyway so it isn't something that a lot of people will get I don't think- for now anyway...

stable low frequencies? Well... won't be getting that any time soon- that's where most of my loss is- the higher frequencies is better- women's voices (in general...) are somewhat easier for me to understand than men's voices (in general and especially very low tones- bass particularly). Children's voices are a huge hit or miss for me- hate having a hard time understanding my nephew lol- I dread when his voice will crack/change!

I wore hearing aids when I was a baby! Maybe 20 years? I was really frustrated with my hearing aids not giving me access to clear sound. My audiologist said both of my ears may be on the way out. So I decided to get CI on right which is my good ear!

Nah, I wore hearing aids for many years and I already accustomed people looking at me and my ears. Now, most of those people didn't noticed my CI. I assumed my CI black color blended well with my hair. Plus, Nucleus 5 is thin and sexy :)

Nah. I don't regret it. In fact, I made the right decision to get CI! Voices become more clearer and easier to understand. Its like you don't have to THINK really hard to understand what the person is saying. Its just pop up in your head naturally. Music become more enjoyable as well. But sometimes, I can struggle to hear in noise or listening to people's different accent. Maybe that all will be change when I upgrade to Nucleus 6 soon.

You sound like a rookie ...a CI won't help you become a career firefighter ... in an interior attack on a structure fire you'd be wearing full PPE including hood, helmet, SCBA mask and that isn't possible with a CI it would knock it off your head ... helmet suspension goes right across where the coil sits ... not to mention the heat could damage or melt the CI parts and burn you ... besides that you'll frequently be exposed to water and other elements that aren't compatible with a CI ...

Definitely not "natural" sounds with the CI, I can definitely vouch for that. The CI sounds very different as compared to the hearing aid. But in my case with the dead ear and hearing aids being of no benefit, it's great. It's sound. When I have both CI and Hearing Aid on together, it all evens out and sounds balanced.

As for a firefighting career, I don't know if the CIs will tolerate the heat. There are waterproof options available (Neptune from Advanced Bionics can be completely waterproof, and there are waterproof cases for BTE processors from both AB and Cochlear in the works but not yet FDA approved for the US). Also, with all the gear one wears when firefighting, that could possibly make it more difficult to wear CIs as well (processors or headpiece/magnets getting knocked off by helmets and such, etc). That's something to think about.

Back