Question about Unix

DoVip

The Master Poker
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does an operating system do? :cool2:

Open open, open source and different environment. :)

Another question:

The following message is displayed when you attempt to log in with an incorrect username or an incorrect password:

Login incorrect

This message does not indicate whether your username, your password, or both are invalid.

Why does it not tell you this information?

unix is not user freindly, its a hard core hackers programming language, well operating system , which is a basis of a user-end means to control the computer for data maintainence, retrival and storage. it is from the olden days of mainframe/minicomputer environment (building sized computers)...and real time multi user sharing the same processor /winchester hard disks, and magnetic tape drives...

it is
sort of encrypted language, it take years to master it, it is based on line-commands , much like MS-Dos or the MS-console (in Windows OS)...
OS is NOT a language , but a sosphiscated user-end software to handle the hardwares of its computer's storage system, the PROGRAMMING language is different, it is a means of machine -instructions to create -programs- that is a sosphiiscated means of data manipulation, collolating of collected datas, its processing of information. but the actually programmers, were highly skilled technicians- they know certain intrigucies of the language of instructions, its structure, its grammar, string-handling rules, and so forth. Machine-code is even deeper than 1st generation or 2nd generation programming languages, 3rd generations become very popular in the 1980's - and 1990's. 4th generation langauge are OOPs, object-orientated programmings, it is develeped from progression with a 2nd+1st gen lanaguge embedded in the foundation, the 4 th generation is really a program on top of program on top of programs, it is not found in ROMs anymore, becasue the infrastructure of ICs, and PCBs and externals storage means have changed drasticially...
PC, stands for personal computers, this is not an accident it was designed to sprawn even more in to 'non-hobbyist' home computing environments, and hence internet spawned also, to Con-nect homes to the outside world....

Unix was big, there are desktop version called BSD, - from Berekely University of California,, others died out as mainframes were replaced but the network(s), and so on...

the surviving remains of unix is now found inside Linux, Apple's OS, (think Lion-X etc) theses are developed with unix.
Unix is efficient but very hard to learn, like Linux but harder.

that's all you need to know
forget unix
stay with Apple and you can say 'its got unix inside!"

At the command-line level UNIX and Linux (actually two different operating systems coded from the ground up by different sets of people), operate very much alike. Many schools use Linux to teach UNIX-like operating systems, since they are so similar. They are not, technically, the same operating system. But learning the Linux command line will help you understand the UNIX command line.

Apple's Mac OS X is based on BSD UNIX. Apple customized it a great deal.

There's other flavors of UNIX as well. BSD UNIX is just one.

Linux is a whole other animal.

(I hope I didn't do your homework for you. ;) )

linux is named after a famous swede hacker who stripped down unix...and made it very compact..he called it ....... just one letter was changed.

linux is named after a famous swede hacker who stripped down unix...and made it very compact..he called it ....... just one letter was changed.

Sorry, no, it was a project begun by a Finn named Linus Torvalds. It did not use any UNIX code at all.

It was a group of programmers who donated their time and expertise to build a new operating system that would be similar to UNIX. It was intentionally designed and coded to work and look like UNIX, but it was not actually UNIX.

It was completely new, free and open source code. UNIX is not free and open source. Linux is.

The Linux kernal was created from scratch (using no UNIX code at all) by the Linux project programers. The OS command software was provided by GNU (they were already working on a free and open source UNIX-like OS). The marriage of the two components created what we know today as Linux. Technically, Linux should be called GNU-Linux.

Linus was (and still is) the director of the project. It was named after his name with the 's' changed to 'x'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux

Last edited:
26446.strip.gif

Sorry, no, it was a project begun by a Finn named Linus Torvalds. It did not use any UNIX code at all.

It was a group of programmers who donated their time and expertise to build a new operating system that would be similar to UNIX. It was intentionally designed and coded to work and look like UNIX, but it was not actually UNIX.

It was completely new, free and open source code. UNIX is not free and open source. Linux is.

The Linux kernal was created from scratch (using no UNIX code at all) by the Linux project programers. The OS command software was provided by GNU (they were already working on a free and open source UNIX-like OS). The marriage of the two components created what we know today as Linux. Technically, Linux should be called GNU-Linux.

Linus was (and still is) the director of the project. It was named after his name with the 's' changed to 'x'.

History of Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh..my bad i slept through linux classes:lol:

I've used linux since 7th grade after I dumped my Windows XP box outside the door.

It is only few years ago that I decided to get iMac instead.

So, what does it do? Grummer has already answered most of your questions. I don't really have much left to say, just try it and you can see for yourself.

I knew some Russian hackers from the EFnet server. I talked to them some few months before 2008 Georgian War, probably the world's first advanced cyber-warfare ever, not sure.

So yeah, this is serious stuff... I think Micro$oft even added unix in Windows Vista or 7. Not sure, but that doesn't mean I'll go back to Windows, not ever. Micro$oft's primary goal is to control everything- Internet and on.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think it was the Windows Millennium (the one I threw out)

So yeah, this is serious stuff... I think Micro$oft even added unix in Windows Vista or 7. Not sure, but that doesn't mean I'll go back to Windows, not ever. Micro$oft's primary goal is to control everything- Internet and on.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think it was the Windows Millennium (the one I threw out)

Microsoft was thinking about it, but they haven't based any of their operating systems on UNIX, yet. They were thinking about doing so for the server market. Then system administrators can learn one set of CLI commands and be able to use it on any server machine. But MS didn't do it. :( Would be cool if they did.

They did contribute some code to the Linux kernel though. Surprising, that.

1. What is the default permission for a file?
symbolic? __________ * * * octal? ______

2. What is the default permission for a directory?

I don't know what are answers. Me suck.

1. What is the default permission for a file?

2. What is the default permission for a directory?

I don't know what are answers. Me suck.

You should be able to Google these answers.

Google "UNIX directory and file permissions"

A very good security reason! Do you want to give hackers a hint of which is incorrect?

Supposed I am hacker I tried to steal your account and break in, and I tried to log in it said invalid username. Then I would KNOW password is correct, need to fix the username somehow, get the idea?

Another question:

The following message is displayed when you attempt to log in with an incorrect username or an incorrect password:

Login incorrect

This message does not indicate whether your username, your password, or both are invalid.

Why does it not tell you this information?

Linus Torvalds is the guy who stripped down UNIX. He was well known for Linux and its mascot as penguin He lives in Finland.

Catty

As for UNIX,

What the interesting history of UNIX is that originally it was developed by group of Berkely University programmers in 60's as a prank for Russian. They created UNIX with screw ups programmings and planned to sell it to Russian to give them a hell of time to program and run. It turned out that it was sold to IBM then rest of the companies. They kept it quiet for a long time. They were so impressed that many UNIX programmer and operator found a way around and did tricks and hacks that made it work. Then in the 80's group of programmers admitted that UNIX was actually a prank and they apologized. IBM and many companies did not sue them at all. Because their programmer became so smart and witty on UNIX. Although many companies paid millions of dollars on UNIX problems. After the announcements, Original creators fixed the UNIX as an apology.

I read the book about it. It's rather interesting!!

Catty

Last edited:
As for UNIX,

What the interesting history of UNIX is that originally it was developed by group of Berkely University programmers in 60's as a prank for Russian. They created UNIX with screw ups programmings and planned to sell it to Russian to give them a hell of time to program and run. It turned out that it was sold to IBM then rest of the companies. They kept it quiet for a long time. They were so impressed that many UNIX programmer and operator found a way around and did tricks and hacks that made it work. Then in the 80's group of programmers admitted that UNIX was actually a prank and they apologized. IBM and many companies did not sue them at all. Because their programmer became so smart and witty on UNIX. Although many companies paid millions of dollars on UNIX problems. After the announcements, Original creators fixed the UNIX as an apology.

I read the book about it. It's rather interesting!!

Catty

What's the book title about that? I never heard or read anywhere that UNIX was created as a prank. The programmers enjoyed pranking each other, but UNIX itself was not created as a prank, as far as I know. And the Russian link with UNIX, that's news to me.

I would be interested in reading the book you found.

unix is not user freindly, its a hard core hackers programming language, well operating system , which is a basis of a user-end means to control the computer for data maintainence, retrival and storage. it is from the olden days of mainframe/minicomputer environment (building sized computers)...and real time multi user sharing the same processor /winchester hard disks, and magnetic tape drives...

it is
sort of encrypted language, it take years to master it, it is based on line-commands , much like MS-Dos or the MS-console (in Windows OS)...
OS is NOT a language , but a sosphiscated user-end software to handle the hardwares of its computer's storage system, the PROGRAMMING language is different, it is a means of machine -instructions to create -programs- that is a sosphiiscated means of data manipulation, collolating of collected datas, its processing of information. but the actually programmers, were highly skilled technicians- they know certain intrigucies of the language of instructions, its structure, its grammar, string-handling rules, and so forth. Machine-code is even deeper than 1st generation or 2nd generation programming languages, 3rd generations become very popular in the 1980's - and 1990's. 4th generation langauge are OOPs, object-orientated programmings, it is develeped from progression with a 2nd+1st gen lanaguge embedded in the foundation, the 4 th generation is really a program on top of program on top of programs, it is not found in ROMs anymore, becasue the infrastructure of ICs, and PCBs and externals storage means have changed drasticially...
PC, stands for personal computers, this is not an accident it was designed to sprawn even more in to 'non-hobbyist' home computing environments, and hence internet spawned also, to Con-nect homes to the outside world....

Unix was big, there are desktop version called BSD, - from Berekely University of California,, others died out as mainframes were replaced but the network(s), and so on...

the surviving remains of unix is now found inside Linux, Apple's OS, (think Lion-X etc) theses are developed with unix.
Unix is efficient but very hard to learn, like Linux but harder.

that's all you need to know
forget unix
stay with Apple and you can say 'its got unix inside!"

Even, if Linux or UNIX is harder, it is worth to learn. :)

Back