Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.

anlos09

Reaction score
maybe this has been asked before but here it goes.

Im pretty sure the majority of hearing people that knows sign its actually SEE instead of ASL. And I have met a few deaf that only knows SEE

So my question is, if your primary is ASL and you're signing with a person that signs SEE is there a difficulty in understanding each other?

Im pretty sure the majority of hearing people that knows sign its actually SEE instead of ASL. And I have met a few deaf that only knows SEE

So my question is, if your primary is ASL and you're signing with a person that signs SEE is there a difficulty in understanding each other?

Not much of a difficulty. But it is more work on the person who knows ASL though trying to decipher the code that is known as SEE.

I sign SEE because my primary language is English so it is only logical I sign SEE not French. When someone signs ASL to me, it is very clear. Mostly because they are using broken English. "me go store" or "store me go" is easily translated to "I'm going to the store." I don't actually translate that in my mind, I just understand.

With my friends who signs ASL, they have no problem understanding me. I believe it is because they can read a book. Just a logical thought.

I sign SEE because my primary language is English so it is only logical I sign SEE not French. When someone signs ASL to me, it is very clear. Mostly because they are using broken English. "me go store" or "store me go" is easily translated to "I'm going to the store." I don't actually translate that in my mind, I just understand.

With my friends who signs ASL, they have no problem understanding me. I believe it is because they can read a book. Just a logical thought.

ASL is not broken English. It is a separate language with its own syntax and grammar rules.

I am experinece to ESL and ASL conflict to confused on seem on cultures I know aware it I am otherwise my experinece impressive asl and SEE I said many time cultures seem strong ASL

I am pretty sure you are signing PSE and not SEE.

she learn it first to deaf mentor tutuorial important to improve ASL develoment to skills improve! or class important to help better understand I think so good idea she should be do process improve development!

she learn it first to deaf mentor tutuorial important to improve ASL develoment to skills improve! or class important to help better understand I think so good idea she should be do process improve development!
Good idea.

Good idea.

I experience deaf mentor teach me alots good work asl and development to patient courage! mentor deaf professional is very awesome give advise to teach me! I learn it lots of better understand words grammar and ASL :D

I think so too.

I actually dont know what kind of sign i used to do, I was understood fine though. But I started taking lessons with a private tutor and Im starting college in a few weeks, so Im learning ASL. My question wasnt about me, i just read a comment on youtube where 2 people were arguing saying that people who use ASL dont understand SEE and vice versa. And I just wanted to know if that was true.

I cannot... I repeat, cannot, understand SEE. It's stupidly complicated. Especially when it's signed quickly!

Last edited:
I actually dont know what kind of sign i used to do, I was understood fine though. But I started taking lessons with a private tutor and Im starting college in a few weeks, so Im learning ASL. My question wasnt about me, i just read a comment on youtube where 2 people were arguing saying that people who use ASL dont understand SEE and vice versa. And I just wanted to know if that was true.
That's why they sometimes resort to PSE as a meeting ground.

Big misperception. ASL is not broken English.

That is a good idea.

No, it is because they are bilingual.

Big misperception. ASL is not broken English.

That's right.. It is its own language with an unique set of rules, grammar, and syntax. When other (spoken) languages are translated word-for-word, it isn't called broken English.

That's right.. It is its own language with an unique set of rules, grammar, and syntax. When other (spoken) languages are translated word-for-word, it isn't called broken English.

Irritates me no end when I see or hear someone say that!:lol:

yes I can but it gets quite tedious down the road. with ASL - our convo would be cut in half or more. I sign in mixed ASL-PSE though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back