Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASL is not broken English. It is a separate language with its own syntax and grammar rules.
Sure. That's why ASL uses English words. :hmm:

BSL uses British rules, FSL uses French rules, JSL uses Japanese rules, and so on. ASL is the only one that uses American-English vocabulary and completely butchers up grammar. Ironically, ASL is derived from FSL which explains the horrid grammar structure.
I cannot... I repeat, cannot, understand SEE. It's stupidly complicated. Especially when it's signed quickly!
You must not like to read a book.:giggle:

BSL uses British rules, FSL uses French rules, JSL uses Japanese rules, and so on. ASL is the only one that uses American-English vocabulary and completely butchers up grammar. Ironically, ASL is derived from FSL which explains the horrid grammar structure.

:confused: A horrid grammar structure? Different from the structure you are most familiar with doesn't equal horrid.

For the most part, ASL doesn't use "American-English" vocabulary at all (aside from what's fingerspelled). It uses ASL vocabulary. You interpret it into English to understand it. You could also interpret it into French or German or Mandarin to understand it. That doesn't mean it would use French or German or Mandarin vocabulary. Or English vocabulary.

Oh, I love to read but I hate seeing people signing in SEE. It's painful. :P

:confused: A horrid grammar structure? Different from the structure you are most familiar with doesn't equal horrid.

For the most part, ASL doesn't use "American-English" vocabulary at all (aside from what's fingerspelled). It uses ASL vocabulary. You interpret it into English to understand it. You could also interpret it into French or German or Mandarin to understand it. That doesn't mean it would use French or German or Mandarin vocabulary. Or English vocabulary.
Explain why SEE and ASL shares many signs.

Only one logical explanation. ASL is supposed to be English.

Suggestion: Go to YouTube and pick out a FSL video. You'd notice grammar structure are strikingly similar. In fact, I know written French and the structure of ASL is remarkably similar.

Suggestion: Go to YouTube and pick out a FSL video. You'd notice grammar structure are strikingly similar. In fact, I know written French and the structure of ASL is remarkably similar.

Huh? SEE uses ASL vocabulary, not English. ASL is not "supposed to be English." Just as French isn't "supposed to be English" just because you can translate it into English.

Are you at all familiar with the origins of ASL? Read up on it and you'll understand why FSL and ASL have similarities. Google it.

Huh? SEE uses ASL vocabulary, not English. ASL is not "supposed to be English." Just as French isn't "supposed to be English" just because you can translate it into English.

Are you at all familiar with the origins of ASL? Read up on it and you'll understand why FSL and ASL have similarities. Google it.
Haha, what you said is a contradiction.

SEE (Signing EXACT ENGLISH) uses English vocabulary and grammar. ASL uses English vocabulary sans grammar. If you met any old, old timers (like 80 year old deaf person) you can ask the person if he/she uses ASL. Then notice their grammar. It's so much like PSE that you guys like to call it. Old ASL uses English grammar but not today.

I know the origins, thank you.

SEE (Signing EXACT ENGLISH) uses English vocabulary and grammar. ASL uses English vocabulary sans grammar. If you met any old, old timers (like 80 year old deaf person) you can ask the person if he/she uses ASL. Then notice their grammar. It's so much like PSE that you guys like to call it. Old ASL uses English grammar but not today.

SEE is not a language, it's a code that uses ASL vocabulary + modified ASL handshapes to represent the English language.

From the research I've done, it was my understanding that the first deaf schools in America did apply manually signed english and that this evolved over time as deaf kids incorporated their own signs from home into the language they were learning at school. It's still not broken english, it's an evolution of a language that evolved to a more natural organic form that's more intuitive for deaf people than the original manually signed english formalized by the first deaf schools.

ASL does not use English words unless it is interpreted into English. If it is interpreted into spoken French, it uses French words. If it is interpreted into spoken German, it uses German words. ASL is a conceptual language that can be interpreted into any spoken language one chooses.

A book is not written in SEE. You are really showing your ignorance.

Because SEE bastardized ASL.

It is a shame that you don't know as much as you think you do. You know only enough to demonstrate exactly how little you really know. Looks like we got us another troll.

Google should study the deaf history in the US. Then he would know more what he is talking about.

Until then it is pointless to argue.

Haha.. I'm a huge bookworm but seriously... reading words and watching SEE signs are nothing alike!!!

It is a shame that you don't know as much as you think you do. You know only enough to demonstrate exactly how little you really know. Looks like we got us another troll.

Oh Lordy.. We've got a dumbass in our mist. Google, you don't have a clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back