Question about Med-El

ClearSky

Reaction score
I have seen the new Med-El device, and I see that it has now a handheld device to control the programs instead of a toggle switch on the BTE itself. Does that mean that current Med-El recipients can only control the volume, etc. using the handheld device?

Here's a pic:

MED-EL Cochlear Implants :: Symphony of Technology

ClearSky,

From what I read on the website, I don't think the OPUS 2 has any controls on it (see below):

"MED-EL Corporation announced today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval of the new OPUS 2 cochlear implant speech processor. The OPUS 2 is the first speech processor that is designed for switch-free operation, with special features for bilaterally implanted listeners. It is operated entirely by a remote control unit, the FineTuner™, which enables changes to settings without removing the processor from the ear."

Don't people have another choice of one with a toggle swich? I mean, I think some people may just like the switch on the BTE for certain situations like if you don't have pockets, but they might still need to switch to another program or volume. I know many don't bother switching but still.... It is a bit odd if they make the current impletee have only the switch-free choice.

I don't know, but I think the older OPUS 1 has controls on it.

I also wouldn't like a CI processor that only has a remote control. What happens if you lose the remote? Then what?

That was one of the reasons to discard the MED-EL..( In Greece , we do only Cochlear or MEDEL ) as I tend to lose my things quite often and I didn't like the additional stress..

Also there was no color combination...( Only black processors...) so I decided no MED-EL for me..

That was one of the reasons to discard the MED-EL..( In Greece , we do only Cochlear or MEDEL ) as I tend to lose my things quite often and I didn't like the additional stress..

Also there was no color combination...( Only black processors...) so I decided no MED-EL for me..

Med-El was ruled out for me as well due to my blindness. My CI audi told me their processor (the OPUS 1) wasn't accessible, so I was given the choice between AB and Cochlear.

HearAgain,

Yes, I have a digital hearing aids that came with a remote control. The only thing useful about this remote is the changing of programs for different situations, but I did not find that useful. Still, the hearing aid had the volume and switch options for on, off, and t-coil.

I wonder if Med-El will be losing out on people opting for their CI because of this change.

Vivie,

I thought that the Opus 2 come four color options. I saw it on their website here:

I am not against Med-El, but this remote control only option is strange. I have talked with happy Med-El users. The BTE looks more like a hearing aid than before, and they have added the FM System option. They have made some nice changes.

I have to say, the only reason I would have chosen Med-el for my daughter would have been if she had an abnormality. If her cochlea was misformed, or if it was ossified from menegitis. I think in the "special circumstances" Med-el is definately the way to go.

HearAgain,

Yes, I have a digital hearing aids that came with a remote control. The only thing useful about this remote is the changing of programs for different situations, but I did not find that useful. Still, the hearing aid had the volume and switch options for on, off, and t-coil.

I wonder if Med-El will be losing out on people opting for their CI because of this change.

Vivie,

I thought that the Opus 2 come four color options. I saw it on their website here:

I am not against Med-El, but this remote control only option is strange. I have talked with happy Med-El users. The BTE looks more like a hearing aid than before, and they have added the FM System option. They have made some nice changes.

You'd think Med-El would have come up with an alternative to the OPUS 2 such as a BWP (bodyworn processor) for those who don't want to use a remote. :hmm:

I have to say, the only reason I would have chosen Med-el for my daughter would have been if she had an abnormality. If her cochlea was misformed, or if it was ossified from menegitis. I think in the "special circumstances" Med-el is definately the way to go.

For everyone's information, Cochlear also has CIs specifically designed for people who have ossification. Just thought I'd mention that for those who may be unaware.

You'd think Med-El would have come up with an alternative to the OPUS 2 such as a BWP (bodyworn processor) for those who don't want to use a remote. :hmm:

MED-EL Cochlear Implants :: Symphony of Technology'

These are the options in the website I provided. They have some options that you clip on your collar or shirt. I guess you would still call them BWP? It's just not clipped on the belt. I don't know about the remote battery pack below. Is that something you wear on your belt?

Do they all use remote control as well?

Hopefully, a Med-El CI user would share their inputs to get some facts across.

MED-EL Cochlear Implants :: Symphony of Technology'

These are the options in the website I provided. They have some options that you clip on your collar or shirt. I guess you would still call them BWP? It's just not clipped on the belt. I don't know about the remote battery pack below. Is that something you wear on your belt?

Do they all use remote control as well?

Hopefully, a Med-El CI user would share their inputs to get some facts across.

I saw that link, but those processors still don't come with their own controls.

I'd like to see Med-El come out with another processor or BWP that has controls on it as an alternative to using a remote.

If I remember correctly, deafskeptic has a Med-El CI. Perhaps she'll offer her input if she reads this thread.

Back