Qualified interpreters

aslrebecca

Reaction score
What do you say to people who have interpreter certification but cannot make next level, so they get three years to make level (next) and they still don't make it? They say they are test scared, so they don't do well on tests and they should be able to keep job because there are not enough qualify interpreters in education.

well... it really depends on what sitution..

Court, Doctor, high level of interpretering.. Is a very Required to have a passed certificited interpreter.. in case the interpreter make a mistake and the deaf clinet can sue for that.

but for education.. My own Option k-12... should have certificated interpreter.. but without certificated.. but Skill enough to interpt.. is acceptable for me..

for college classes.. I required a certificated interpreter...

hope this is clear to you.

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Court, Doctor, high level of interpretering.. Is a very Required to have a passed certificited interpreter.. in case the interpreter make a mistake and the deaf clinet can sue for that.

but for education.. My own Option k-12... should have certificated interpreter.. but without certificated.. but Skill enough to interpt.. is acceptable for me..

Ergo, the testing that one is not able to pass. To me, the testing shows whether or not one is skilled. If this person is given THREE YEARS to show that he/she has skills and STILL cannot show skill in testing, then how can there be proof that this person is skilled? The only argument I am being given right now is that there are not enough interpreters. I think that is a cop-out. What do you say to someone who tells you there are not enough interpreters, so we have to give you someone that is not qualified?
:type: ReBecca

DeafSCUBA98 said:

Yes, different interpreters have different levels of certifications. I had this similar discussion with a few interpreters at my college. I was told that some higher-level interpreters also have psychology certification. The reason for this is so that they can analyze the student by how he/she signs. These kind of interpreters are usually there for court cases. They can analyze what a deaf person is thinking or doing while signing to the public in a court room.

VamPyroX said:
Yes, different interpreters have different levels of certifications. I had this similar discussion with a few interpreters at my college. I was told that some higher-level interpreters also have psychology certification. The reason for this is so that they can analyze the student by how he/she signs. These kind of interpreters are usually there for court cases. They can analyze what a deaf person is thinking or doing while signing to the public in a court room.

Interesting premise...I think that might be a good idea...but how do you feel about the elementary school setting and the lack of meeting qualifications after being given three years to meet them? How would you respond to someone telling you that there simply aren't enough interpreters to go around, so stop the griping... :wackit:

aslrebecca said:
Interesting premise...I think that might be a good idea...but how do you feel about the elementary school setting and the lack of meeting qualifications after being given three years to meet them? How would you respond to someone telling you that there simply aren't enough interpreters to go around, so stop the griping... :wackit:
I know what you mean. We have that same problem here at RIT. We don't have enough interpreters and the number of students attending RIT has slowly increased. Now, classes are limited and students end up waiting longer to take classes. I'm one of those students. I probably would have graduated last year. Grr! :(

VamPyroX said:
I know what you mean. We have that same problem here at RIT. We don't have enough interpreters and the number of students attending RIT has slowly increased. Now, classes are limited and students end up waiting longer to take classes. I'm one of those students. I probably would have graduated last year. Grr! :(

I am seeking valid arguments to keep my hands from typing nasty letters...wanna throw me a debate bone here? I'm just stumped since they gave me the lack of qualified interpreters...
So the children should suffer, what??? Know what I mean? :greddy:

aslrebecca said:
I am seeking valid arguments to keep my hands from typing nasty letters...wanna throw me a debate bone here? I'm just stumped since they gave me the lack of qualified interpreters...
So the children should suffer, what??? Know what I mean? :greddy:
Well, you shouldn't really blame the department for their lack of qualified interpreters. It's the people who have decided not to become interpreter majors. The more people who learn to sign, the more interpreters we have. If people aren't interested in becoming interpreters, then we have less interpreters to deal with.

Well, in Australia, the more terps there are, the better. But I believe some CODA interpreters are one of the best.

VamPyroX said:
Well, you shouldn't really blame the department for their lack of qualified interpreters. It's the people who have decided not to become interpreter majors. The more people who learn to sign, the more interpreters we have. If people aren't interested in becoming interpreters, then we have less interpreters to deal with.

Well, in a sense you could blame the Deaf community, couldnt you? I mean, back in the day, an interpreter didnt have to be certified to interprete. Now because Deaf people objected to the low level of proficiency and ability, they brought on the certification. I would imagine they said that the reason for certifying is because other types of interpreters (spanish, german, japanese, etc.) must be certified too. But I've seen many many great interpreters fall, just because they fail the certification test. Back when it was new, you had to go to another state to take the test, so the test itself was at least $300, and they pay that out of their own pocket,. Then they have to pay for hotel and transportation, I can see why it can get overwhelming and seem like its not worth it. If less Deaf people complained, more people would be motivated to become an interp. *my 2 cents*

It's true that some deaf people complain about poor interpreting and their lack of knowledge, when it is confidence and experience that leads to good interpreters... some are naturals, some are not, we should be grateful that hearing people want to be interpreters at all.

So does anyone feel deaf culture is being watered down because there are more hearing people wanting to be involved within the deaf community?
ReBecca

aslrebecca said:
So does anyone feel deaf culture is being watered down because there are more hearing people wanting to be involved within the deaf community?
ReBecca
I don't feel that it's being watered down. It's like Ziusudra said, we should be grateful that hearing people are trying to help us. If we didn't have that, none of us would be able to get through school or work. We need to learn to accept what happens in the real world and not take too much pride in "Deaf Pride".

Ziusudra said:
Well, in Australia, the more terps there are, the better. But I believe some CODA interpreters are one of the best.

I think a lot of CODA's get pressured into becoming interps solely based on the fact they comd from a deaf family. I don't look up to this sort of idea, thinking that CODA's make better interps. I mean, some people can harbor resentment because they may feel forced into the profession.

VamPyroX said:
It's the people who have decided not to become interpreter majors. The more people who learn to sign, the more interpreters we have. If people aren't interested in becoming interpreters, then we have less interpreters to deal with.

I think you just got it. I mean, i plan to learn to sign, but i really have no desire to translate for a living, on my own in my free time with people i know it wouldnt be a big thing, but just not what i wanna do for a living.

pinkster said:
I think a lot of CODA's get pressured into becoming interps solely based on the fact they comd from a deaf family. I don't look up to this sort of idea, thinking that CODA's make better interps. I mean, some people can harbor resentment because they may feel forced into the profession.

I cant really see alot of people actuly going into a profession just because their parents want them to, not in this day anyways. I know my parents dont want me to do what my dad does, even if they did i sure as hell wouldnt do it. My dads job pays the bills and provided for my entire family, but there is no way in hell i could do what my dad does for a living, so if the person didnt want to be an interp they either wouldnt do it, or would quit shortly after starting.

aslrebecca said:
ReBecca
Is that how you feel or you met someone speak that way? Just curious.

Back