qualifications...

OMG pinkster! You seem so much like me! I had progressive loss too, and was profound deaf by 15. I can hear CD's but only well enough to enjoy it on full volume on though. I can't hear sirens either! I never knew anyone who's so like me before! :)

HoneyShot said:
OMG pinkster! You seem so much like me! I had progressive loss too, and was profound deaf by 15. I can hear CD's but only well enough to enjoy it on full volume on though. I can't hear sirens either! I never knew anyone who's so like me before! :)

Indeed - its fairly rare I would think. :) I sat outside today waiting for my mom and an ambulance went by, i closed my eyes to see if I cld hear it without seeing how close it was. It had to get pretty close before i heard SOMETHING slightly loud. :P

As for music, i dont know if i said this but i listen on a scale of 1-10, at a 6ish - depending on the kind of music.

If you'd like to IM me on AIM, please feel free. o0lostinwaves0o - im more than willing to chat :D

Actually I seem to recall reading somewhere that about 80% of implantees retain their residual hearing, which is good.
Jake, Sorry but I think sucess with CI has more to do with the type of loss. It's lots easier to remember how to listen, if your brain knows how to process sound like a hearing person's brain. I know that the rate of dissatisfaction with CI is rather low, but that might be due to the fact that overall, most deaf people weren't born deaf. As a matter of fact overall, born deaf-hoh people only make up about 5% of the total deaf/hoh population. That's also probaly why the oral failure rates are claimed to be so low. It's lots easier to interpret sound once you know what sound actually IS. I have a feeling a large percentage of the prelingally deafened sucesses aren't classic prelingals (people who were born deaf or went deaf very early, like when they were infants.) I'm not saying that a classic preling can't be an oral sucess. Hey even back in the '60's with really primative technology something like 10% of born deafies were oral sucesses. I'm just saying that the percentage of classic prelings who are oral sucesses has always been quite low, much lower in fact then most oralists want to admit. Granted a person's attitude can impact sucess quite significently but on the other hand, there ARE people who really don't care for hearing. I think it's an overrated sense and I am a pure aural learner!!! I really admire people like pinkster and CSN who decide that being deaf ain't the end of the world! I wish there were more of you guys out there!

dd sez: "I think it's an overrated sense"

me: are there any OTHER senses that might be also overrated too?? ;)

IMO I don't think it is possible to overrate ANY senses! (except of course for mind reading)

At any rate in the near future we'll have some data to look at that'll answer many of these questions. For sure, the CSNers of the world will continue to find themselves declining in numbers, because for one thing, manditory helmet laws are more widespread and strictly enforced!

Jake, yes I do think it's a little overrated.....I enjoy being able to hear, but at the same time I really like having down time without my aids on.
I'll never forget one time in my dorm, when there was a LOUD punk rock concert...I was the only kid not complaining. :)
As a disabilty rights advocate I also think walking is overrated (I have orthapedic and nereomuscular disorders, which can make it difficult for me to walk long distances) I think sight is overrated....I think having a "healthy normal" child is extremely overrated! I believe that using a wheelchair instead of walking is equal to walking. I don't believe that using an alternative to something is a crutch the way some nondisabled people believe. I do think that kids should be taught to walk but they should also feel that it's OK to use alternatives like a walker or a wheelchair.
I understand that you feel that you're missing out on hearing b/c you gradually lost your hearing. You KNOW what you're missing. You treasured and wish you had it back. From my surfing and reading your experiance is VERY common among post-lingal/progressively deafened people. However, many of us prelingallly deafened people may like hearing with HA/CIs but at the same time we also like being deaf.
Many of us don't know what we're missing. Nereologically speaking we can hear but it's not the same as what hearing people hear.(or what you and other post/progressives may have once heard) Hearing people don't hear bleeps and bloops the way CIers do! Hearing people don't miss sounds the way many people with hearing aids do.

dd,

hmm . . . so lets say a person broke her hip and decided wtf, I'll just stay in the wheelchair instead of going through the painful steps of learning to walk again.

so, is that person "disabled" and eligible for all "disablity" assistance? Who provides for their personal wheelchair vehicle? Society?

another question: is vision overrated?

just curious.

~~258~~ I, myself, have a CI and have had it for 3 years now. Although these days, I don't wear it on a daily basis due to the nature of work I do. ( I work as a Carer in a group home and I wear a body processor with a cord connected to the body processor to the coil near my ear -- it is constantly grabbed by clients at work and getting pulled off.)
-- for those who opt for a CI -- choose a BTE not the body processor, heh.
Besides that...before I had the operation, I had to go through a few assessments to see if I was a CI candidate: balance check (some operations on the ear can severely challenge the sense of balance), listening test (got about 47% accurate), and audiologist test (75% and 85 to 90%). When the operation came up, I opted for the worse ear which was 85 to 90% severely/moderate deaf as I didn't have much to lose.
About a year after surgery and hook up, my listening skills went up from 47% to 71%. I reckon that has slid a bit as I don't wear it on a daily basis these days. :(

WaterRats13 said:
~~258~~ I, myself, have a CI and have had it for 3 years now. Although these days, I don't wear it on a daily basis due to the nature of work I do. ( I work as a Carer in a group home and I wear a body processor with a cord connected to the body processor to the coil near my ear -- it is constantly grabbed by clients at work and getting pulled off.)
-- for those who opt for a CI -- choose a BTE not the body processor, heh.
Besides that...before I had the operation, I had to go through a few assessments to see if I was a CI candidate: balance check (some operations on the ear can severely challenge the sense of balance), listening test (got about 47% accurate), and audiologist test (75% and 85 to 90%). When the operation came up, I opted for the worse ear which was 85 to 90% severely/moderate deaf as I didn't have much to lose.
About a year after surgery and hook up, my listening skills went up from 47% to 71%. I reckon that has slid a bit as I don't wear it on a daily basis these days. :(

u know, there's cordless ones now aviliable and u don't need to wear a body processor.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
u know, there's cordless ones now aviliable and u don't need to wear a body processor.

cordless!???? no such thing as "cordless" !! clarify?

Sweet_KJ said:
I think s/he meant BTE. it's not called cordless heheh

i'm a male :)

Yes it's BTE cochlear implant.. but there's no ear mold, no body processor, so that means no cords. just the BTE and magnet.. that's all..

but there's no ear mold, no body processor, so that means no cords. just the BTE and magnet.. that's all..
Not exactly....there's still a cord connecting the BTE processor to the magnet.

hmm . . . so lets say a person broke her hip and decided wtf, I'll just stay in the wheelchair instead of going through the painful steps of learning to walk again.

so, is that person "disabled" and eligible for all "disablity" assistance? Who provides for their personal wheelchair vehicle? Society?

another question: is vision overrated?
Jake, that would in all liklihood never happen. Most people with aquirred disabilties WANT to be rehabilatated. However, if it did happen I would not judge that person. Perhaps, they've found it hard to get around as they've gotten older, due to decreased strengh/endurance whatever.
That person would be disabled yes...matter of fact even if they chose to get rehabilated, they would still be considered disabled, albeit temporarily disabled. People with broken arms and legs are considered "disabled."
You're also assuming that the rehab process will be perfect and flawless and return the person with a broken hip to pre-broken hip life, but even after undergoing the rehab process, they might not be able to walk as well as before...they might have limps, gait issues etc, which would make them essentially "disabled" (albeilt not as seriously as someone in a wheelchair or someone who has to use a walker or cane)
In this hypothesis, a person would only need a simple manual wheelchair to get around. Manual chairs are relatively cheap and easy to afford...They'd be the ones to carry the costs, unless they couldn't afford it.
Yes, I think vision is overrated. Like deaf/hoh kids, blind/low vision kids are taught to use their vision.(most blind/low vision kids have some residual vision) They are not taught to use their other senses to compensate for their visual issues. Does that make any sense?
Hey...Lady Duke is D-B and she says that she thinks vision is overrated and that people should learn to adapt and adjust to their disabilties!

Back