Purple Netbook unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got Purple Netbook last Monday, but performance really sucks big times, even with windows reinstall.. It turned out that dell's stock 16GB SSD is very lacking at write speed. I purchased 32GB runcore SSD and 2GB RAM which I just got it today. Man, this new SSD rocks, I was able to reinstall XP and drivers just under one hour compared to 3+ hours on stock SSD.

I am pleased with this new mini 9 netbook but kinda disappointed that there is no WWAN slot which I resorted using USB WWAN device.

I am going to give Win7 a try this weekend or next week.

Finally got Purple Netbook last Monday, but performance really sucks big times, even with windows reinstall.. It turned out that dell's stock 16GB SSD is very lacking at write speed. I purchased 32GB runcore SSD and 2GB RAM which I just got it today. Man, this new SSD rocks, I was able to reinstall XP and drivers just under one hour compared to 3+ hours on stock SSD.

I am pleased with this new mini 9 netbook but kinda disappointed that there is no WWAN slot which I resorted using USB WWAN device.

I have to agree with you about Dell's stock SSD, it have to do with write speed which is the slowest. Read speed is the fastest but in fact is that it's 30mbps which is too slow for Windows. need to be around 50 to 60 or higher mbps to allow smooth operation on Windows

Catty

Did you use external DVD\CDR for reinstall windows xp? I just ordered yesterday and will get sometime next week.
P3 has Video adapter 64 MB in windows xp. But if use windows 7 it may increase up to 256 MB?
Mobile Intel 945 express chipset family
chip
gma 950

Upgrade

Hello
Can you please check and tell me what approx. Total Memory on Video card after you installed 2GB RAM?
After you installed 2GB RAM; still Video 64 MB? Or auto increase to 128MB after you installed 2GB RAM on Windows XP?
I read somewhere in Google research that Dell Inspiron 910 does not have video share memory to change for increase from 64 to 128 MB in BIOS.

Malinda

Hello
Can you please check and tell me what approx. Total Memory on Video card after you installed 2GB RAM?
After you installed 2GB RAM; still Video 64 MB? Or auto increase to 128MB after you installed 2GB RAM on Windows XP?
I read somewhere in Google research that Dell Inspiron 910 does not have video share memory to change for increase from 64 to 128 MB in BIOS.

Malinda

You might want to go into BIOS setup to see if video memory can be adjusted. If not then you're suck with it. Not all Netbooks are adjustable. Several Netbooks do have 128mb and few have 224mb video memory (all shared video). I did googled and read reviews on each Netbooks.

Example, My Acer Aspire 5040 have adjustable video memory that I can tweak it from 64mb to 256mb through BIOS or ATI's Catalyst software that came with it. I upgraded memory to 2GB and I maxed out the video memory to 256mb. While my friend have Gateway laptop which he got at the same time I got Acer, It have 64mb video memory and cannot be adjusted at all. He got jealous with me cuz I got lucky with adjustable video memory :giggle:

So you'll have to find out. I heard newer Netbooks this fall will even be more powerful, will have Atom 450 processor and better video memory. But bad part is that it would not work with Windows XP OS if you tried to install. It would work with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux. So be prepare that you'll have to change your favorites and throw out antiquated Windows XP softwares too. Time is changing!!

Wish you good luck hacking your Purple Netbook's peewee shared video :rofl2:

Catty

To RichardDeaf,

Thank you,
Malinda

Hello

Malinda

I just talked with Dell tech support today. I was told that Video share memory 64 MB can not change to 128 MB. I asked Tech support if I purchased 2GB RAM will video share memory be possible increase to 128MB. He said no.

I tested play DVD movie on Dell Inspiron 910 from Purple. The Movie is clear and smooth.

$199 no sale tax and free shipping. I think is very good deal.

I have old laptop Gateway DS 600 X. I bought 2002 for $2,000.
My old Gateway Laptop is still running great.
I plan to use Purple P3 for communication purpose similar like pager or sidekick which I don’t have. This Purple P3 has many features internet, email, messenger and many more all for just $199.

Malinda
:wave:

If I get Purple Netbook can I get by with just BlackBerry Curve as modem for internet access from Netbook? I don't want to pay for more internet.

I saw Sprint rep use P3 on notebook with BB Curve as PAM yesterday but take speedtest.net that upload speed was 118 kbps and dowload speed was 258 kbps. working fine but video was slow scan. use ASL slow down. I had showed speedtest.net speeds on my iPhone 3GS which download speed was approx. 800 kbps and upload speed is approx. 300 kbps. He can't believe it. But tethering is not ready to activate yet till end of summer. I had heard that newer Sprint 3G Blackberry Tour 9630 will be coming soon.

I saw Sprint rep use P3 on notebook with BB Curve as PAM yesterday but take speedtest.net that upload speed was 118 kbps and dowload speed was 258 kbps. working fine but video was slow scan. use ASL slow down. I had showed speedtest.net speeds on my iPhone 3GS which download speed was approx. 800 kbps and upload speed is approx. 300 kbps. He can't believe it. But tethering is not ready to activate yet till end of summer. I had heard that newer Sprint 3G Blackberry Tour 9630 will be coming soon.
Just remember that BB Tour doesn't have Wifi. Which is a BB fail! :lol:

You are right! Your BB Bold includes WiFI?
That's correct and my deaf canberran friends are switching over to BB bold now, welcome to my crackberry world *evil laughter*

Upgrade to Windows 7

You might want to go into BIOS setup to see if video memory can be adjusted. If not then you're suck with it. Not all Netbooks are adjustable. Several Netbooks do have 128mb and few have 224mb video memory (all shared video). I did googled and read reviews on each Netbooks.

Example, My Acer Aspire 5040 have adjustable video memory that I can tweak it from 64mb to 256mb through BIOS or ATI's Catalyst software that came with it. I upgraded memory to 2GB and I maxed out the video memory to 256mb. While my friend have Gateway laptop which he got at the same time I got Acer, It have 64mb video memory and cannot be adjusted at all. He got jealous with me cuz I got lucky with adjustable video memory :giggle:

So you'll have to find out. I heard newer Netbooks this fall will even be more powerful, will have Atom 450 processor and better video memory. But bad part is that it would not work with Windows XP OS if you tried to install. It would work with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux. So be prepare that you'll have to change your favorites and throw out antiquated Windows XP softwares too. Time is changing!!

Wish you good luck hacking your Purple Netbook's peewee shared video :rofl2:

Catty

I just got my new netbook Purple P3 from Hovrs yesterday! I see that I have 2 display adapters 64 MB each x 2 = 128 MB in Windows XP device manager.

Based from microsoft these are the requirments for a computer to be upgraded to windows 7.
1.)1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit) I have 1.6ghz.
2.) 1GB of RAM you have 1gb
3.) 16 GB of available disk space I have it also,
4.) Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB of memory which I have

I spoke with Dell tech support, Tech man said, yes this purple netbook can upgrade to windows 7!

Malinda

:D

I just got my new netbook Purple P3 from Hovrs yesterday! I see that I have 2 display adapters 64 MB each x 2 = 128 MB in Windows XP device manager.

Based from microsoft these are the requirments for a computer to be upgraded to windows 7.

I spoke with Dell tech support, Tech man said, yes this purple netbook can upgrade to windows 7!

Malinda

128mb of video memory is good enuf to run some good games. I heard that newer netbook this fall will have more video memory (I read recently 224mb planned). Plus newer Atom 450 which is more streamlined with same 1.6Ghz core. Hopefully it'll run better on most games ect.. PLUS!! It would not work with Windows XP if you want to fall back on, it'll be Windows Vista, 7 and newer Doz from now on, no turning back. Unless you use VMware on Netbook to run XP :giggle:

Catty

Purple Netbook = Virus!

I got my Purple Netbook two days ago. I spent most of past two days cleaning the hard drive of the netbook because it came with a virus! The virus kept putting executable programs all over the HD, including an SD card I inserted to view pictures. I had to download McAfee Antivirus (free because I use Comcast) to clean and disinfect the hard drive. Now it is good as new.

If you get weird errors, check your Purple Netbook for viruses! Looked like someone downloaded a trojan from a bad website onto the HD before I got the netbook.

Malinda

No, Intel Atom do not support 64bit.

Intel® Atom? Processor Z530 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLB6P

I got my Purple Netbook two days ago. I spent most of past two days cleaning the hard drive of the netbook because it came with a virus! The virus kept putting executable programs all over the HD, including an SD card I inserted to view pictures. I had to download McAfee Antivirus (free because I use Comcast) to clean and disinfect the hard drive. Now it is good as new.

If you get weird errors, check your Purple Netbook for viruses! Looked like someone downloaded a trojan from a bad website onto the HD before I got the netbook.

Purple netbook do not use HDD. Check your netbook again careful.

Just remember that BB Tour doesn't have Wifi. Which is a BB fail! :lol:

Your post don't make any sense.

All CDMA based BB has no WiFi included because they get better signal than any GSM service.

BB Curve (8330) and BB 8830 has no WiFi either.

Sticking with BB Bold and don't complain about BB Tour since they aren't release to world, except for US and Canada.

Try tethering with USB, bluetooth sucks in big time for speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back