! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still not applies to P2P.

Have you used P2P software before?

:lol: how do you figure it doesn't apply? IF the material is copyrighted.....it applies unless permission is granted.

:lol: how do you figure it doesn't apply? IF the material is copyrighted.....it applies unless permission is granted.

because court never carry this law out on piracy from P2P, MPAA and RIAA were fought so hard but failed.

Wirelessly posted

It would be far more effective to discuss how to curb piracy instead of bickering about the scenarios.

One way might be for people to stop doing it.....get a job.....and buy it. :lol:

OOOOhhh......How about a government produced virus that destroys the computer and posts the offender private info on a public criminal site. :) I love that Idea.......You could even have sting sites

We disagree......oh well

The United States No Electronic Theft Act (NET Act), a federal law passed in 1997, provides for criminal prosecution of individuals who engage in copyright infringement, even when there is no monetary profit or commercial benefit from the infringement. Maximum penalties can be five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. The NET Act also raised statutory damages by 50%.

BTW.....Your case preceded the act.....

So?

The NET Act amends the definition of "commercial advantage or private financial gain" to include the exchange of copies of copyrighted works even if no money changes hands and specifies penalties of up to five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines. It also creates a threshold for criminal liability even where the infringer neither obtained nor expected to obtain anything of value for the infringement.

well - no successful prosecution so far under this obscure law relating to P2P unless I'm wrong

Wirelessly posted

It would be far more effective to discuss how to curb piracy instead of bickering about the scenarios.

Some people said it is way to curb the piracy is not port any new games to PC but rather to port on consoles, such as Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. I think it is not solution because Xbox 360 and Wii can be modded to play pirated games so no win-win situation.

because court never carry this law out on piracy from P2P, MPAA and RIAA were fought so hard but failed.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't apply......it just hasn't applied yet.

It's still wrong

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:
Wirelessly posted

One way might be for people to stop doing it.....get a job.....and buy it. :lol:

OOOOhhh......How about a government produced virus that destroys the computer and posts the offender private info on a public criminal site. :) I love that Idea.......You could even have sting sites

:lol:

You have to admit file-sharing is altogether different beast than bootlegging though. I don't see how the current legal system can bottleneck and cap the file-sharing delimina. Sounds like the CEOs will have to adopt a different distribution and marketting tactics.

Wirelessly posted

Foxrac said:
Wirelessly posted

Some people said it is way to curb the piracy is not port any new games to PC but rather to port on consoles, such as Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3. I think it is not solution because Xbox 360 and Wii can be modded to play pirated games so no win-win situation.

I said curb, not fix. Nothing about human nature can be fixed, you can only curb desires.

Anyway, how Steam and LIVE deals with pirates is by bricking their accounts and or consoles.

Well, sometime, get a job isn't enough because you need money for living expenses first.

It is unconstitutional but sounds like sense of humor, anyway.

Well, sometime, get a job isn't enough because you need money for living expenses first.
that doesn't mean you can go ahead and commit the crime. If I can't afford food.... it's ok for me to steal food?

It is unconstitutional but sounds like sense of humor, anyway.
under what ground?

Wirelessly posted

I said curb, not fix. Nothing about human nature can be fixed, you can only curb desires.

Anyway, how Steam and LIVE deals with pirates is by bricking their accounts and or consoles.

Yup, they did, you will be permanently banned from LIVE if modded consoles are detected but for bricking so sure if firmware update release to screw it up.

Piracy is piracy. Theft is theft.

Try to distinguish the two.

Piracy is a crime. Theft is a crime. However, both are not the same concept.

It's theft. The taking of what's not yours and not pay for it, is in my eyes, theft. The taking of somebody's work that took time, money, resources and effort to product that product and not pay for it is theft. That's the concept. It is a crime to steal somebody else's work and not pay for it. That's the concept.

Wirelessly posted

:lol:

You have to admit file-sharing is altogether different beast than bootlegging though. I don't see how the current legal system can bottleneck and cap the file-sharing delimina. Sounds like the CEOs will have to adopt a different distribution and marketting tactics.

:dunno: I was a "pirate" as a kid and didn't realize it. I would buy albums and then record them on cassettes for my friends.....Even made mix tapes.....even called them mix tapes...... :hmm: wonder if someone stole the term "mix tapes" from me

The key word in all of that was kid. Once I grew up I realized/learned how wrong that was. The difference is today people are not growing up. And people are not learning right from wrong. It seems that for many people today nothing is wrong unless they are caught.

that doesn't mean you can go ahead and commit the crime. If I can't afford food.... it's ok for me to steal food?

under what ground?

Food is part of living expense, that why it is important to buy foods instead of buy new movies if you don't have enough money.

Privacy, I believe so and it seems unconstitutional for government to attack our computers because we used P2P or internet piracy.

Yeah. Produce a Public Service Annoucement, tv commercials, radio ads, etc to tell the people on the concept of buying a software product first and that the taking of what's not yours is wrong, and illegal, when it comes down to downloading bootlegged games or copies of them. Though I get the distinct feeling that people will laugh at the idea of such nonsense to even consider the audacity that the taking of what's not yours is wrong. Piracy = good, ok, acceptable. Theft = bad, negative.

Nice logic there.

It's theft. The taking of what's not yours and not pay for it, is in my eyes, theft. The taking of somebody's work that took time, money, resources and effort to product that product and not pay for it is theft. That's the concept. It is a crime to steal somebody else's work and not pay for it. That's the concept.

you might want to explain that concept to MPAA/RIAA first. What they're doing to artists is a pure-greed theft. Can you believe the royalties that artists get from RIAA? what a piddly amount.

the famous musician. Moby - "the riaa needs to be disbanded" (in his own words)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back