! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't talking about Torrent. I'm talking about piracy. People do use torrent to download illegally digital contents without paying for it. If a person knowingly download a digital content (e.g. movie, game, music..etc) without paying for then that makes that person a thief.

Real simple concept here. Piracy = thievery.

but torrent users don't and they see as sharing with others.

I agree with torrent users and I believe it is sharing, however I told them that if they like games so please pay to support game developers since some games don't have demo or demo isn't enough so they downloaded and see if they like games before pay it.

There is no DRM-free videos option on market so that what I need that to get subtitle work without rip the DVD since DRM videos won't work, even not work on all devices.

I wasn't talking about Torrent. I'm talking about piracy. People do use torrent to download illegally digital contents without paying for it. If a person knowingly download a digital content (e.g. movie, game, music..etc) without paying for then that makes that person a thief.

Real simple concept here. Piracy = thievery.

Piracy is undercutting profits, however it's hard to explain to your average American citizen that it's theft. Why?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDuBEQewxI]YouTube - Copying isn't theft! - lyrics - sub ITA[/ame]

Why don'tcha (Extreme discontented anti-pirates).. have a seat over there and process this chart.
pirate.jpg

Downloading copyrighted files without permission is illegal. And if people didn't pay for it, then it's called stealing.

Downloading copyrighted files without permission is illegal. And if people didn't pay for it, then it's called stealing.

Torrent users don't see as stealing but sharing.

If you would like to get technical.. Piracy =/= theft or stealing. It's a different context if you use the correct definition.

Why don'tcha (Extreme discontented anti-pirates).. have a seat over there and process this chart.

Yup, that why I do like pirated movies over DVD. :lol:

This is a technical clarification that illustrates proper usage of the terms, "Stealing" "Theft" and "Pirating"
piracy.jpg

If person A buys a ticket to Disney World and goes for half a day then comes out and gives that ticket to a friend is that legal??? No.....and it wouldn't work. Or how about making copies of the license tags for your car and giving them to your friends to put on their car????? Is that legal??? There is no ownership of the material......only permission to use.

It doesn't matter how the thief sees it..... :lol:

Yeah try this one day......."Sorry I ran the red light officer.....but I don't see that as a crime". :lol:

"No officer that's not my license plate number.....My friend paid for his license plate and decided to share it with me......I don't see that as theft so it's not a crime" :lol: That only works if the friend is also sharing his car with the license plate attached.

If a digital content requires payment and you paid for it then its your, but it doesn't give you carte blanche to allow others to make copies off of your downloaded content which would undercut any potential profits due to the company who produced that digital content.

If I wrote a digital book and put it up on the internet to market it and make some money off it, I wouldn't like it if 10 people paid for it and made my electronic book available to anybody who want to read it. They call it "file sharing," I call it theft since I lost money that way.

Did you watch the video?

It illustrates why people don't think of it as theft.

"File sharing" is a nice, safe sounding word but if one person paid for it and it's for him only, it doesn't give him the right to share it with the rest of the world. The company or person who made that digital content to sell to the public lost potential profit in this case.

If you read/watch court cases carefully, no one in the courtroom - the defendant, lawyer, prosecution, judge - never address to piracy as "stealing" or "theft". To do so is someone simply uninformed...

If you went to court and made a whole scene about how it is stealing, good luck getting your case your way.

Torrent users don't see as stealing but sharing.

I don't see not paying my taxes as a crime, I see it as allowing me to share more money with Hooter girls.....but the IRS doesn't seem to agree with me so I pay.

If you would like to get technical.. Piracy =/= theft or stealing. It's a different context if you use the correct definition.

But really, I understand piracy is wrong. I get ticked off when people use my source code without crediting or when people use my photograph collection (without making it as a derivative work) as a way to make profit. Someone who try to undercut my revenue by capitalizing on my intellectual creations should be penalized, why?

Why should people who are too lazy to modify my works or make their own works be rewarded?

Mind you, I am a bit of a copyleftist; although not all the way to the left. ;)

If a digital content requires payment and you paid for it then its your, but it doesn't give you carte blanche to allow others to make copies off of your downloaded content which would undercut any potential profits due to the company who produced that digital content.

If I wrote a digital book and put it up on the internet to market it and make some money off it, I wouldn't like it if 10 people paid for it and made my electronic book available to anybody who want to read it. They call it "file sharing," I call it theft since I lost money that way.

Piracy is usually minority and numerous companies made a success in major number over piracy.

If companies adopt nasty DRM so could make privacy so much higher.

I wouldn't be surprised if the case will be dismissed in the end. The movie was leaked to the public months before it was officially distributed. That's negligence on their part. At the time, many people had no idea what the movie was and if it was copyrighted or not.

Now... to say that piracy is a form of theft. Well, it isn't. However, piracy is illegal. Piracy is defined as unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted materials.

So yes, it isn't stealing, but it's not authorized to be reproduced and distributed without permission.

Example:

If I steal your iPod, you do not have the iPod anymore. I have your iPod. That is stealing.

If you have a novel and I scanned all of the pages, you still have your novel. That is not stealing, that is piracy, of course that's if the novel is protected by the copyright laws.

Theft is defined as the crime of stealing. Piracy does not fall under that definition.

They should had stuck to the old copyright laws, it was much simpler and easy to follow back then. Disney is one of the reasons why the copyright laws continue to be extended and strengthened. That's why every single thing out of Disney is still copyrighted to this day. Along with many other media giants, they complicated the copyright laws even more and making it difficult for everyone.

On the upside, movies like It's A Wonderful Life can be downloaded legally since it's in the public domain. There are tons of classics you can download for free and it's legal too. Just make sure they are in the public domain before you download them.

RIAA, MMPA, etc are making it difficult for the independent filmmakers, musicians, artists, etc to make a living out of their careers.

Piracy has been around since the beginning of mankind. It's just that it's easier to access them these days. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, you could buy bootleg VHS tapes from your local convenience stores. Doesn't make it right, but I'm just stating the facts.

well said Banjo. you are clearly updated & well-versed on legal terms and legal cases.

Piracy is piracy. Theft is theft. Piracy is NOT theft.

that's why MPAA/RIAA have hard time at courts to prove their cases because there's no such thing in legal books that back their claim "piracy = theft". Unfortunately - because of their $$$$$$ lobbying power, the government is their hired muscle men to victimize people into paying thousand dollars to them.

Identity Theft???? Still have your identity....just someone is using it illegally "reproducing" Birth certificates,Driver Licenses and SS cards.

Theft of Service??? You still have everything.......someone just used your service without paying you. It's considered theft of service (also trespassing) if you walk onto a golf course and play without paying. Or if you hire a lawyer and don't pay.

Nothing material has to be lost for it to be considered theft.

If the game/program/show was created/produced for profit and you use it without permission (illegally) it is theft. Maybe it's a theft called Piracy.....but it is still theft.

Identity Theft???? Still have your identity....just someone is using it illegally "reproducing" Birth certificates,Driver Licenses and SS cards.

Identity THEFT. That is not piracy, what you described is theft of one's identity and abuse of government-issued properties. Not to mention credit cards, bank cards, etc. They may be reproduced illegally, but they are used to literally take money from your bank accounts and destroy your credit rating, therefore that is theft. Identity theft can be quite damaging.

Theft of Service You still have everything.......someone just used your service without paying you. It's considered theft of service (also trespassing) if you walk onto a golf course and play without paying. Or if you hire a lawyer and don't pay.

THEFT of Services. That is not piracy, that is theft and not to mention trespassing onto private property too as well. If you are being provided a service at a cost, if you decide to not pay for a service you were provided, that is theft.

Nothing material has to be lost for it to be considered theft.

If the game/program/show was created/produced for profit and you use it without permission (illegally) it is theft. Maybe it's a theft called Piracy.....but it is still theft.

Unauthorized reproduction is piracy and an infringement of copyright. Regardless, It's not theft.

I watch HD programming on my HDTV for free since I use an antenna, should I be sued for not paying? No because it's legal. I can record them and watch them later too, that way I get to skip the commercials. The commercials pay for the TV programs, but I don't watch them.

No matter what people try to say, piracy is not theft. Theft is not piracy. They are not defined in the same manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back