Proud mom of a two year old with CI :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mylittlemen, I´m wondering how you found out that your child is deaf at 2 months old...? Most I know that the parents discovered their children´s deafness from 6 months old to 1 years old... ?

Well, Mylittlemen,
I respect your decision but please support your child´s wish whatever he want or not in the future...

I don´t want to fight with you over that... I would like to tell you the story what I know.../why I have the different opinion/how I feel.

Hi everyone,

I read all of your posts carefully. I´m sorry to tell you that I´m agree or disagree some of your view but I respect your choice...

Here is my opinion: What you are agree or disagree with me is the welcome...

Well, I´m mother of 2 hearing sons & know an exactly how edcuation my children & also conercn their feeling, too....

Some of you think it´s not possible to deal with a seven year old?
My answer: YES, the children from 7 years old have the feeling & know what they want... Sure, we (parents) give them education what/why we think it´s best WITHOUT force them do something what they don´t want because their happiness are the most important to us..... With dentals, doctors, school etc appointments is a different story.

Example of all is my 8 years old son who have floppy ear reject to have an operation to improve his ears. Should I ignore him & get him to Surgery to improve his ears because he´s too little to understand? My answer: NO! The children know an exactly what they want or not... Of course I explained him why I think it´s good for him but I respect his wish...

I beleive is: give a child upbringing/education limit to right path & also support is belong parent´s job WITHOUT change/choose their babies´s bodies or anything what they want. To change or choose are not belong upbring/education limit or parent´s decision because it´s THEIR bodies, they choose to change with their parents´s support.

I´m not choose anything to give the children the food, clothes etc what I want because they have the different taste than me. Do you think that the children rely on their parents for everything from meals to clothes etc? My Answer: NO because there´re influence everywhere in the school, friends, family etc... That´s how they (children) learn/collect what they like to eat or have the taste with clothes through influence from everywhere... Some of the children have the different opinion than their parents because they like somewhere better..

I disagree most is...
The parents let their babies to toddler to surgery to change their bodies because they don´t like their babies´s bodies. It´s mean that the parents didn´t accept what the god give their children like this.
Train them to speak because they think CI make them hear like hearing world. I would like to remind you that CI can´t make you hear like hearing because you are still deaf...

I would like to remind you all that prosthetic arm or leg are NOT an implant like CI... The prothetic arm & leg are the same as hearing aid, glass etc. I would wear my children with prosthetic arm or leg like I would wear them with hearing aid straight way to improve their skills WITHOUT operation...

My husband is oral all of his life .. he is profoundly deaf like me. Most people said his speech is good but they weren´t realized how unhappy he was because he feel being under the pressure/ask too much due his parents´s decision. During his childhood, he learn all is how to speak all the time... he´s too tired of it.. He has no good relationship with his parents for that because he had the feeling that they are still not accept what he is. It put him total off when his parents told him that they would of implant him straight way when they learn the new better one than hearing aid. It´s stress for him to watch his teacher´s lip all the time. He feel more relax to use DGS (German sign language).

As you see what my husband suffered... You can´t expect that children can speak prefect like hearing with the help from CI but their education would be great only if they are WILLING to learn what they really want... like what I´m willing LEARN how to speak/understand/read Germans... without CI.

My opinion is:
Accept what my children are because I love them what they are.
Give the children love & attention
Enjoy to watch them grow up without get them to speech therapy...
Let them enjoy their fun first until their first school then it´s is a different story.

I would of agree to have my hearing sons to get CI straight way when they become deaf tomorrow because they grow up knowing hearing world (only if they want it)

Well, it´s not late for the children from 7 years old to teenagers learn their speech development or anything if they want to have CI later since they already wear hearing aid an earlier....The children without CI CAN learn to speak if they are WILLING do it.
Look at my friend wore hearing aid when she was 6 months old. She can speak like HOH... She CAN choose to have CI if she really want to BUT she is happy with hearing aid.

I already met a 8 years old Deaf boy at Deaf Club with his parents last week. His parents is my good friend... Her opinion are the same as me.... I was total surprised that his son know what CI is & told me HIMSELF that he refused to have CI. Could you imagine how a 8 years old saying that? Like what I said an earlier that they (children) know EXACTLY because they have FEELING like adult...

His parents let his son to mix with CI, HOH & Deaf children... he grow up with them.... He has the feeling & don´t want to have CI. He said this to me HIMSELF...

The interpreter for the deaf told me the story what it put her off when she saw only 3 of 25 CI children at classroom are willing to learn speak or hear. She´s glad to listen deafie´s instead of doctor´s recommend for not implant her 8 years old deaf son (now he´s 18 years old). He thank his mother for not implant him...

I beleive the CI is suitable for deaf children to adults who are WILLING to learn to speak or hear or really want it.

Please listen CI people here BECAUSE they know through their OWN experience & their OWN feeling, not us. It´s not first time because I often received a lot of sad stories from CI people.

To me, I'm proud to being deaf. I won't let anyone to make negatives over Deaf.... Sure, I was being mocked by hearing world over deafness in the past but I didn´t change my babies´s body over that.. Remember it´s NOT only deaf, but many disablities & also nonsense things, they made fun of..., like blind, wheelchair, glasses, fat, skinny, color skin etc.etc.etc.
Well, my sons were upset & told us that they were mocked by schoolmates over us... Their teachers are agreed with me for give their pupils the information over the deafness etc... The children realized now & nice to us.... My sons told them that "yes, my parents are deaf but I love them & proud of them etc".

Do SOMETHING instead of being sorry yourself.. The children dislike you for that if you keep being sorry yourself. Stop being sorry yourself but think about positive about yourself... be proud yourself what you can acheive everything with your life...

*Bottom Line is Remember: I do NOT against CI...Its the CHILD ALONE that will make that choice! It has NOTHING to do about learning the technology but child´s CHOICE!....

They have a hearing test for the baby. Here Oklahoma required by the law to take hearing tests at 2 months old ago. I don't know how that work because I have not seen myself.

Mod Note:

This thread is starting to get out of hand. Closed. :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back