Pros and Cons...gas/diesel trucks

Wow, cheapest price... They are reman. Bosch fuel injectors, and 12 months warranty.
If you are about to replace any of the fuel injectors, you must identify a six-digit alphanumeric correction code that printed on the intake side of the fuel injector, you have to use a scan tool to calibrate the correction codes (enter correction codes into the vehicle's ECM. Don't mix fuel injectors when you removed from the cylinder head, place them in order. Best way to ID fuel injectors in the cylinder head prior to injector removal. Not recommend for DIYers without factory scan tool. I never been run across on these before. I'm glad that some diesel vehicles didn't show up my work.

That's correct, OEM scan tool is damn expensive for J1939 plug. For CAT? You have give VIN to CAT dealer then they will give you the correction codes with fuel injector correct. I don't understand why Diesel made too complex for electric fuel injector than gasoline.

Sad, I see a lot semi-trucks have problem with DPF (diesel particulate filter) and DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system. Two days ago, Peterbilt got engine light code and and it had 5 codes as DEF got low voltage/out of range,heater out of ranger, pressures out of range,cant remember what other code . So I inspected whole harness and it looks fine then I unplugged the connector plugs from the DEF's PUMP and DEF leaking almost over my face. Ugh. I never thought of that. So I checked harness connector plug and it had corrosion so I cleaned it with QD electronic cleaner and wire brush then checked with DMM and it was around 2-3 volts should be 12v. So I replaced the harness and DEF pump. DEF PUMP cost around $400 and harness cost around $100.

For IH (International )? It's FAMOUS issue with oil leaking/coolant leaking, EGR cooler junk, etc.

I cannot site a source but I just know I have heard/read that it really takes skill at picking your shift points to get better mileage from a manual transmission than from a modern automatic transmission.
This guys first vehicle was a motorcycle.... shifting is not an issue.

Autos lose power due to transfer through fluids, turbines and output shaft... you lose a great deal of power through auto trans, where manuals when adjusted correctly are basically a direct drive off the motor.

Yes, shift points are a factor, you can either bog it or you can fly

If you are buying new then automatic transmission may be your only choice unless Dodge is still offering manual transmissions. I believe Chevrolet and Ford are not offering any manual transmissions on their diesel trucks. Automatics are much more efficient than previous years.

If you are going for an older model, I'd recommend Dodge Cummins with manual transmission if your budget allows it. If your budget is limited then I'd go for 7.3 Powerstroke Ford or older 6.9/7.3 IDI Ford. The IDI is no where near as powerful as the powerstroke but is a very solid engine capable of running for many miles with proper maintenance. I'm a fan of Chevrolet but they never made a diesel worth a damn until the Duramax. They are still fairly new and hard to find them on the cheap.

I'm not big on Ford but purchased a 1987 F350 with 6.9 IDI and automatic transmission (so the wife can drive it too) because it fit my budget. I am extremely pleased with it, it's a good running truck.

Decide which models fit your budget then do What deafsmogtech mentioned, go to forums and learn pros and cons of each model.

6.9/7.3L IDI as indirect injection does not have any electronic device on it. 100% mechanically driven, parts for these engine is dirty cheap, mechanically injector cost less than 150 each. Mine is 7.3L DI as Direct injection, has few electronic control, even though both shared same displacement, but completely different engine. Friend of mine has it, 93 7.3 IDI f-350, crew cab, long bed. Runs on manual. Was told odometer rolled over twice, now 245k miles, running strong. No turbo on it, still plenty power, more than gasser offers. His truck used to be car carrier hauler coast to coast several times.

Up to the first half of 1998 the a Dodge Cummins were mechanical injection too and very simple to work on. Full set of injectors is about $250

Up to the first half of 1998 the a Dodge Cummins were mechanical injection too and very simple to work on. Full set of injectors is about $250

That's why I would buy Cummins 5.9L (12v). They were mechanical fuel injection. If you see Cummins 5.9L (24v) or 6.7L (24v) then they are electronic fuel injector.

Today, I asked my service writer to contact Dodge dealer for price quote on one new fuel injector. He got quote from a counterman, $802 bucks for reman fuel injector set of 6. Not bad. I don't understand why the Dodge stealership quotes $1,660 each maybe wrong price information. He says to order reman fuel injector set, take 1 week to get.....

Today, I asked my service writer to contact Dodge dealer for price quote on one new fuel injector. He got quote from a counterman, $802 bucks for reman fuel injector set of 6. Not bad. I don't understand why the Dodge stealership quotes $1,660 each maybe wrong price information. He says to order reman fuel injector set, take 1 week to get.....

That's why I dont believe that. I just asked my part dept guy at my works today and he said almost $3k for 6 sets on Cummins ISX 15 that he just got it last week and you said $2,500 per for cute tiny Cummins 6.7 L motor. Again, I said you got misunderstand from info. The info should said $1660 for packs, not per

ISX15 = 2050 lb-ft of peak torque and 14.9L.

That's why I dont believe that. I just asked my part dept guy at my works today and he said almost $3k for 6 sets on Cummins ISX 15 that he just got it last week and you said $2,500 per for cute tiny Cummins 6.7 L motor. Again, I said you got misunderstand from info. The info should said $1660 for packs, not per

ISX15 = 2050 lb-ft of peak torque and 14.9L.

From what I saw the repair information in Alldata is: Fuel Injector....$1660. I didn't see any words of EACH or FUEL INJECTORS or PER SET. Most of them are new OEM parts. You are right that there is error information.

Back