Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

Hi JClarke

I have read the whole of 14 page of this thread and also your blog which is very interesting to read. I would like to say congratulations to you on getting a CI. Some of my friends have got CI in the past 2 years and some of my other friends also have shown interest in getting a CI. The ones that got CI are very happy to have it and glad they got it done. One of my friend have just got a 2nd one done and is very happy with the result.
I have watch my best friend getting a CI just over a year ago and she told me all the sound she has never heard before such as key rattling, zip pulled up and down on her jean, flock of noisy black cockatoos flying over, plane flying over and so many to list just like your list of sound you have heard. She also heard herself farted and didn't realise that hearing people can hear it too. She felt embarrass by that. :giggle: The sound she hates is the plastic shopping bags when she or anyone putting the shoppings away by putting their hand in like rattling sound. Also when the car turning, car tyres makes rumbling sound. She didn't like that sound too. :lol:
She has shown me the black bag like you have said in your blog with all the 'goodies' in it and explain all about it. She has explained to me at great length from the beginning to where she is now with a CI which I find is very interesting. When I see her, I always ask her about her CI and the latest she hears anything that is new to her.
Two weeks ago I went to an audiologist as I needing a new hearing aid as mine is getting old and keep breaking down. I had a hearing test done and was told my hearing has dropped by 10% in my good ear which is now in the profoundly deaf area bracket. Before I was severely deaf and I hear very well with a hearing aid. My left ear is very deaf and a hearing aid is not strong enough. My audiologist suggested that I get a new hearing aid for my right and also she suggested a CI for my left ear. I said yes for CI and have made an appointment to go to the Cochlear Centre which is in 2 weeks time for assessment. Hope all turn out well for me and am looking forward to go ahead with it soon.
Anyway, I have felt I have learned a wealth of information about CI from my friends, internet, this thread and your blog. Your blog is a bonus to read. Thank you for your time and effort for putting one up and I am sure many people enjoyed reading it. :)

One of the things that happen when Implanted- pick up sounds that one didin't hear before- due to one's "hearing loss".

aside: I have mentioned before thought someone was following me-hearing footsteps-just me picking my own up!

It does take "time" to reabsorb all the "strange sounds" that one missed before Implantation.

The hardest part of getting various reactions is that- what will happen to "you"? No doubt we are all "very different- health wise" Thus various reactions.

Hi JClarke

I have read the whole of 14 page of this thread and also your blog which is very interesting to read. I would like to say congratulations to you on getting a CI. Some of my friends have got CI in the past 2 years and some of my other friends also have shown interest in getting a CI. The ones that got CI are very happy to have it and glad they got it done. One of my friend have just got a 2nd one done and is very happy with the result.
I have watch my best friend getting a CI just over a year ago and she told me all the sound she has never heard before such as key rattling, zip pulled up and down on her jean, flock of noisy black cockatoos flying over, plane flying over and so many to list just like your list of sound you have heard. She also heard herself farted and didn't realise that hearing people can hear it too. She felt embarrass by that. :giggle: The sound she hates is the plastic shopping bags when she or anyone putting the shoppings away by putting their hand in like rattling sound. Also when the car turning, car tyres makes rumbling sound. She didn't like that sound too. :lol:
She has shown me the black bag like you have said in your blog with all the 'goodies' in it and explain all about it. She has explained to me at great length from the beginning to where she is now with a CI which I find is very interesting. When I see her, I always ask her about her CI and the latest she hears anything that is new to her.
Two weeks ago I went to an audiologist as I needing a new hearing aid as mine is getting old and keep breaking down. I had a hearing test done and was told my hearing has dropped by 10% in my good ear which is now in the profoundly deaf area bracket. Before I was severely deaf and I hear very well with a hearing aid. My left ear is very deaf and a hearing aid is not strong enough. My audiologist suggested that I get a new hearing aid for my right and also she suggested a CI for my left ear. I said yes for CI and have made an appointment to go to the Cochlear Centre which is in 2 weeks time for assessment. Hope all turn out well for me and am looking forward to go ahead with it soon.
Anyway, I have felt I have learned a wealth of information about CI from my friends, internet, this thread and your blog. Your blog is a bonus to read. Thank you for your time and effort for putting one up and I am sure many people enjoyed reading it. :)

Thank you Koala, i am very happy to see a lot of readers take my blog as a bonus for their consideration, you are not alone, I have been approached a few times to the inspiration to my blog. I think my blog is one of the best to contribute what we get, the positivity is the best way to express and honestly.

I wish you all the best in the cochlear journey if you are to become an candidate, trust me, you will not regret it - however a lot of motiviation and working hard is a must. Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I have not yet to update my blog in recent weeks - due to my personal situation I am in currently, however I will try my best to update soon when I am ready.

I apologise in advance if you are waiting for an new update.

I have a C.I. was implanted in my 20's. It's handy for work.... but I really do get annoyed with it, and prefer to be just as I was born with no corrective devices. :D

I have a C.I. was implanted in my 20's. It's handy for work.... but I really do get annoyed with it, and prefer to be just as I was born with no corrective devices. :D
That's your choice - everyone has their own choices.

I would recommend that you get checked out and see what is available now. I have CI's on both sides and am very lucky as I do quite well. I'm even able to get back into my amateur radio, cw no problem at all and not doing all that bad with sideband. I'm 81 years young and yes I did wear aids for long time. Cochlear just came out with a new unit N6 with lots of new features. As you most likely know, made in Australia. You have some very talented people down there. Visited there about 15/20 years ago. Great people
Regards and good luck Dick

So that means you have had it how long? Many of us don't know how old you are.

The blog has been updated yesterday - 'be realistic with your expectations'

Blog has been updated yesterday - see link below siggy.

Also to mention something about this from post #96 (http://www.alldeaf.com/1170681-post96.html)

I quote this from the staff from the cochlear implant centre:

The technology has improved but it is the history of your hearing loss that still will determine if what you hear with an implant. Being born profoundly deaf at your age you will only be able to identify speech sounds that you can currently hear through your hearing aids. The Cochlear Implant will enable you to hear speech sounds more loudly and better at a distance which can help you with lipreading BUT the brain will not be able to recognise any new speech information by hearing alone at age 21. You need to have been implanted in early childhood to be able to recognise all speech sounds through listening alone, the brain cannot do this later in life.

You will also hear lots more environmental sounds.

From what I have written in the blog as of late, do you think from your perspective that this quote written above can be scrapped as it exceeds more than this staff assume to be?
And FYI, I am no longer 21, I am soon to be 27 years old.

Wow! I am behind the news of your thread from 6 years ago. I'm same as your and Skullchick's views experience like mine. By the way you already have CI.
:thumb:

Quote: "She also heard herself farted and didn't realise that hearing people can hear it too."

This is hilarious! Really? I learned from experience that people do hear it from others or my own when I was small.

When my baby was few months old, I would be holding him and my mother would exclaim, "Wow, that fart sounds like an adult one!". I imagine people think it's me! :laugh2:

Quote: "She also heard herself farted and didn't realise that hearing people can hear it too."

This is hilarious! Really? I learned from experience that people do hear it from others or my own when I was small.

When my baby was few months old, I would be holding him and my mother would exclaim, "Wow, that fart sounds like an adult one!". I imagine people think it's me! :laugh2:

That kills me, and I'm picturing someone farting around people having no idea anyone around would know exactly what you did. BUT at least they smell so even if you didn't know they made noise Id hope people would refrain from farting around people just for the stink factor.

Everything makes noise btw, and I do mean EVERYTHING!!! People can hear you breathing. Especially if you have. Plugged up nose and are breathing with mouth.....they can totally hear that. Sex? Yep sex makes noise.

That kills me, and I'm picturing someone farting around people having no idea anyone around would know exactly what you did. BUT at least they smell so even if you didn't know they made noise Id hope people would refrain from farting around people just for the stink factor.

Everything makes noise btw, and I do mean EVERYTHING!!! People can hear you breathing. Especially if you have. Plugged up nose and are breathing with mouth.....they can totally hear that. Sex? Yep sex makes noise.
Even when you walk with your pants on..... they make noise too.

Even when you walk with your pants on..... they make noise too.

Oh yes! This reminds me of when I was around 11. We were sneaking around an empty apartment and he said, "shh your corduroys are making noise when you walk". Learned something that time.

Oh yes! This reminds me of when I was around 11. We were sneaking around an empty apartment and he said, "shh your corduroys are making noise when you walk". Learned something that time.
Nothing is silent, after all

Back