Profound hearing loss + hearing aid questions

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

A lot of people with SSD find BAHA to be significsntly more helpful than CROS aids ... That being said, you have to try both for yourself and see what works best for you and your lifestyle.

There is a temporary (trial) BAHA that is worn on a special headband which you'll want to try to see if BAHA is something you'd like to consider, prior to going ahead with the (minor) surgery to inpant the abutment (or new magnet when it's available).

good luck to you! my doctor said i'm not a candidate for CI because i only have unilateral hearing loss so it's HAs or BAHAs.

U should try some hearing aids like the one Dixie has so I'd consider going for a cros if I were you.

I just wanted to add that I was SSD for a number of years before becoming Hoh on my hearing side as well - so I have a unique understanding of being SSD (as well as bilaterally hoh/Deaf)

good luck to you! my doctor said i'm not a candidate for CI because i only have unilateral hearing loss so it's HAs or BAHAs.

Thank u ,why not try some HA see how u like to hear if i was you i would try HA before go to BAHA because that is involved operation.

Why would anyone want to revert back to using a Hearing aid from having a Cochlear Implant? To me makes absolutely no sense- - "hearing wise" or "cost wise"-Implants are expensive!
Aside:the total cost- of my Implant etc in 2007 was $55,000.00 CDN.

drphil said:
Why would anyone want to revert back to using a Hearing aid from having a Cochlear Implant? To me makes absolutely no sense- - "hearing wise" or "cost wise"-Implants are expensive!
Aside:the total cost- of my Implant etc in 2007 was $55,000.00 CDN.

No one's saying anything about going from CI to HA.

Also - insurance covered your CI, so it's not as if it cost you $55k

Last edited:
Back