Professions that requires a mask

Reaction score
Does anyone know how a deaf student work around a profession that requires a face mask? I am talking about professions such as nursing, surgical technology, dental hygienist, etc.

How do you get accommodations at any school if you read lips if you want to go for a profession that requires wearing a face mask? I can see how an interpreter is helpful at school, but what about those that read lips and do not use interpreters? How do you deal on the job and not be able to read lips?

Are you just not able to do that? I have seen a few videos of dental hygienist and dental nurse. They both sign, but how can you convince an employer to hire you or a school support you?

Instead of a signing interpreter you could use an oral transliterator.

https://www.salemstate.edu/academics/3850.php

I have tried it in the past, but not all are good. I had someone do this who was not an oral transliterator or sign language interpreter, but she was really good at doing it lol. I was given one who was uncomfortable because she's never done it before. She was a sign language interpreter. She was not good at it as I had a hard time understanding her. I don't know if there are many experienced one. I think you need to be really good at it. It is more than just repeating back what you hear. You got to have good facial expression and really good articulation movements because you're not hearing them at all.

So, what about on the job? How would they deal with not being able to hear? How would you convince an employer?

I'd have to ask.. I know of one person who was a former nurse (born deaf- hearing aid user and knows sign)....but I don't think she was in a position where masks were used- she did not do ER or surgical.

I see more of the plastic shields than I do masks but even those are rare. With the dentist I can't see their faces anyway when they're working on my teeth because i usually have my eyes squeezed shut (too bright light and I dislike going to the dentist immensely- anxiety). I do need to remember to remind him to take the thing off or not put it on til he's done talking before and after the actual tasks lol.

They've learned though to remember to do tactile touch or gestures to have me do something etc.

I think the plastic shield is to protect the eyes. The mask is more for the nose and mouth. Seems no one knows much about this. :(

Back