Problems with the Legal System

D

Deaf258

Hey, everyone. Please use this thread to post links to news reports and articles. It should only concern with Deaf people's rights being supported or violated by the legal system. Hopefully, this thread will be a good resource and research tool.

ummm.... I am not sure if it would fit this thread ... but it make me so curious ... who would pay for the interipter for first time meet the lawyer ???? before the lawyer would take the case ... know what i mean ?

the worst thing ever happened to me with interpreter issue, is that lawyers refuse to pay for the interpreter. I am having a hard time finding a lawyer that will hire an interpreter. Since lawyer charges $100/Hr. and up....

Legal interpreter normally charges $120/hr. and up...

When i told the lawyer to get an interpreter they say okay they'll call then they change their mind and refuse to hire an interpreter and tell me to get it myself.

This is happening to me many times i have been tring over 30 different lawyers all refused.... finally i simple hire my mom to do it for me..

I wouldn't want to have a lawyer who's mad at me forcing to get interpreter, since they won't do a good job working with me.. ya know what i mean?

Originally posted by DeafSCUBA98
the worst thing ever happened to me with interpreter issue, is that lawyers refuse to pay for the interpreter. I am having a hard time finding a lawyer that will hire an interpreter. Since lawyer charges $100/Hr. and up....

Legal interpreter normally charges $120/hr. and up...

When i told the lawyer to get an interpreter they say okay they'll call then they change their mind and refuse to hire an interpreter and tell me to get it myself.

This is happening to me many times i have been tring over 30 different lawyers all refused.... finally i simple hire my mom to do it for me..

I wouldn't want to have a lawyer who's mad at me forcing to get interpreter, since they won't do a good job working with me.. ya know what i mean?
You are not suppose to use ur mom... I mean what if your mom said something wrong and your lawyer can use ur mom for being her fault... It's ADA law that Lawyer, hospitals, doctors visits, etc are suppose to give clients and anyone 100% equal rights, if your lawyer refuse, tell them you are reporting them to to the goverment or BBB to scare them somehow...

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
You are not suppose to use ur mom... I mean what if your mom said something wrong and your lawyer can use ur mom for being her fault... It's ADA law that Lawyer, hospitals, doctors visits, etc are suppose to give clients and anyone 100% equal rights, if your lawyer refuse, tell them you are reporting them to to the goverment or BBB to scare them somehow...

I did that, They just sit and laugh, ya know.. lawyers have power.
If i force them and judge say they must have interpreter, then the problem is that lawyer won't work good with me..
It is important to have a lawyer and client communicate good and get along good. It is very tough issue.

Most legal interpreter earn more money than lawyers do. lawyers will lose money. lawyer's goal is to earn money to do everything they can do, give up their time, etc..
That's a SAD FACT.. it does make me :mad2:

also another sad fact, Lawyers who is willing to hire an interpreter, the sad thing is that they charge you for interpreter's fee AKA (hidden fee).

Whenever i get a bill from lawyer, they just say " worked .8 hours this day for draft" "court fee" " standard fee of $550" and so on... they usally won't tell you what they are accually doing and what the charges is for. They could charge you for interpreter that lawyer pay for. that you didn't know they did charge for interpreter.

The other thing i notice lawyer increase their hourly rate if they hire interpreter. like increase $40 per hour than their standard rate. that u don't know.

258~ Simply tell them that it's ADA law, and if they don't listen to you or the law, then you can file a complaint to ADA agency. That's what I would do if that situation happens to me in the future (it hasn't happened to me yet. Thank God!)

ummm i knew it would be hidden fees if it ever brought up ...ummmm so i will have to get the paper and make it agreement of fees ... and see where we are ... but i bet that they add it up for different reasons ... Sigh ... i tried to get free legal service and they refuse to have me in their case because i made too much over their limit ... which is full of BS !! oh well... I have to figureo ut because i am plan to get lawyer veryyy ASAP !!!

Originally posted by knightwolf68
ummm i knew it would be hidden fees if it ever brought up ...ummmm so i will have to get the paper and make it agreement of fees ... and see where we are ... but i bet that they add it up for different reasons ... Sigh ... i tried to get free legal service and they refuse to have me in their case because i made too much over their limit ... which is full of BS !! oh well... I have to figureo ut because i am plan to get lawyer veryyy ASAP !!!

Even u get helping from PPL? PPL is stand for Pre-Paid Legal. Just wonder.

or hire a DEAF lawyer -- thatll save the extra burden of finding a lawyer AND forcing them to get a legal terp -- u got the DEAF lawyer that already knows the language and the culture :D

i know 1 here in the area who happened to be my classmate from MSSD

Originally posted by Fly Free
or hire a DEAF lawyer -- thatll save the extra burden of finding a lawyer AND forcing them to get a legal terp -- u got the DEAF lawyer that already knows the language and the culture :D

i know 1 here in the area who happened to be my classmate from MSSD

i experinced deaf lawyers in orgeon remmy that fly?? that lawyer was worth crap, lost the case but helped a friend of mine get her kid back, ANYHOW, the result was 6 interpeters were hired and the fees were forced to be paid for by both the defendant and the plantiff im like WTF? MAKE the court PAY FOR IT they hired them but somehow the backward justices system is FULL OF BS!

I also tried free legal service too.. the turned me down cuz they found out that the interpreter fees are too high for them.
I am currently having a lawyer right now i am having him since oct 2002 and still running.. seesh hate to see the bills going up high.
hopefully it is over soon.
I do communicate with lawyer through e-mail mostly because its easier. he's damn good lawyer i admire him..

Anyway, As for you wolf... I suggust you to contact some angency that service for deaf, hard of hearing people. for example.. DRS? or ask deaf service in ur area for information on steps to explain to lawyer about interpreter service.. or ask them if they know which lawyer is willing to do the cases for you.

My home area is small city most lawyers turned me down.. none of them experience with deafies. but i am sure in big city will have some experience..

Hope this helps.

Thanks for advice from everybody here .... hey Lasza yes i do use PPL myself remmy that i showed u that i am member of ppl .. so anyway most of the lawyers wasn't willing to get interipter for me because of fees ... they has been suggest to input on my bills fees for that service and i told them they are wrong to do that ... so i dump one lawyer and start search right lawyer once again !! arrgghhh... ummmm I will try my best to ask round to see if i can find right one ... so wish me the best luck !!

Thanks for advice from everybody here .... hey Lasza yes i do use PPL myself remmy that i showed u that i am member of ppl .. so anyway most of the lawyers wasn't willing to get interipter for me because of fees ... they has been suggest to input on my bills fees for that service and i told them they are wrong to do that ... so i dump one lawyer and start search right lawyer once again !! arrgghhh... ummmm I will try my best to ask round to see if i can find right one ... so wish me the best luck !!

Have you tried asking one of those legal interpreters which lawyers could be great?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Have you tried asking one of those legal interpreters which lawyers could be great?
well, I don't know who is legal interipter round here ... that's tough ! lol

Oh geez, some of lawyers are greedy. Same to doctors. Happened find some doctors don't mind to hired interpreters. So, they have advantage is " tax exempt ". So, should same apply to lawyers. Both are in PROFESSIONAL group.

Notice that the courts hire interpreters from RID sometime. Cuz they familiar with legal words. *RME* at the lawyers for missing something that give the opportunity like tax exempt.

Originally posted by Lasza
Oh geez, some of lawyers are greedy. Same to doctors. Happened find some doctors don't mind to hired interpreters. So, they have advantage is " tax exempt ". So, should same apply to lawyers. Both are in PROFESSIONAL group.

Notice that the courts hire interpreters from RID sometime. Cuz they familiar with legal words. *RME* at the lawyers for missing something that give the opportunity like tax exempt.

well, Lawyers usally have their own office, their own business.

Doctors work under hosiptal or clinic, which clinic or hosiptal can afford an interpreter.
In fact.... all patients are paying hidden fee for *service cost* which covers interpreter.. doesn't matter if its hearing or not.. that's how they budget to pay for interpreter. its instering fact..

Health insurance don't look carefully for hidden cost so they just pay the hostiptal or clinic right away.

as for lawyers, they own their own business.

Hi there, I have housing lawyer.. Minnesota Legal Aid, free lawyer for the disabled person. And my hospital paying an interpreter or own interpreter, no charges on me, just only insurance pay for it..

Back