Pro-tactile

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
I admit that I am such an ignorant about the DeafBlind way. So I am trying to find more information and want to know more about it. I know i will meet many DeafBlind peeps in the near future. Also, I am interested in becoming a Certificate Deaf Interpreter. In face that in my hometown, that has no CDI where I dont know if I will have an opportunity to work but I am not giving up. I always try to find a way about it.

so thought i should share this with you all that it is an useful information for the DeafBlind Way.

Pro-Tactile

Check for Vlog1 and Vlog 2. Apparently it is new.

Thanks for sharing this. Tactile is so amazing to me. After my first conversation with a DeafBlind person, I went home and just sat there in amazement, trying to imagine pulling information from that physical contact with the signer's hands.

I wondered if I could even follow my own fingerspelling with the other hand. So I tried it, just thinking I'd lay one hand over the other and try to feel the alphabet. It was really hard! To have enough contact to get the information, but not to weigh down so hard as to obstruct the signing - wow. I came away from that feeling like it's kind of an art.

although I am not CDI certified, I have tactile interpreted for DeafBlind man at church, and volunteer before...but haven't done so recently...

:ty:FF, for sharing this, I saw the vlogs/site and was also researching this more just now. I have learned something! This is good to know more about:D

This reminds me of something hubby and I do sometimes. At night when we're just laying in bed before going to sleep and lights are off, we used tactile communication about some mundane thing, using a finger squeeze for example, or taps on arm or hand - so many taps means yes/no etc. Or rubbing shoulders, or the amount of pressure or bouncy-ness with which I might touch his arm with my hand.

When I went to a church gathering many years back - I was put in a situation where my sister in law was called away to take care of something and she asked me to keep a deaf-blind company. I was instructed at the time to keep my hand under hers since she needed constant contact and know whats going on. I was signing away and let me tell you- it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I arms was sore from her hand weight. It was an interesting experience.

I did tactile interpreting a basketball game. Learned something along the way. I've seen tactile interpreting for plays and deaf movie night.

Additional, we need to share the expressions that help DeafBlind feel much alive. Since they can't or barely see what someone react. Words can be easy mistook that mean something. Just give a thought.

Back