Private vs Public School

The*Empress

Reaction score
Big or Little School
Private schools tend to be smaller than public schools. It feels more like a small town where everybody knows each other. Of course, there are fewer freedoms. We are required to wear uniforms and are only allowed to wear casual clothes once a month.

Electives
If electives are important to you than you might want to stick to public school. Many Catholic schools require you to take a theology class every year. I don't mind having a theology class, but I can understand why someone would rather be taking an elective.

Community Involvement
Is community involvement important to you? If yes, then a private school would be ideal. At many private schools, community service hours are required to graduate. At my school, seniors leave school every Monday at noon to do community service.

Sports
Do you really want to play sports above everything else? Public schools might be the place for you. Private schools often place academics over athletics with rules that don't allow you to participate in sports if your grades aren't high enough. Public schools may or may not have this policy.

Good Conduct
Is your conduct record not exactly spotless? If so, a public school might be more comfortable. Conforming to all the rules of private school might pose a problem.

College Bound
Do you want to go to college? Most private schools focus on classes that will prepare you for college and tend to send a higher percentage of students there after graduation.

I prefer the education of public schools. Most private schools are Christian schools that will not offer as broad education in subjects like science and history. However on the other hand, private schools do open students to better college oppurtunities.

Well, my children goes to public school.

I can choose any public schools for my children. I'm very picky about education and good reputation. I'm happy and sataisfy where my children received good education. There're everything what they have for the students which its good.

I would decide private school if I'm not happy with public schools where my children attend.

i disagree with some of those facts..

in fact i see many pravite schools don't have to wear uniforms here in minnesota.

and public schools in huge city in huge school are starting to require wearing uniforms.

i would rather pravite school cuz the fewer students in class ratio the better education they get.

Well, all of private and public schools don't have uniform here in Germany which I'm disagree to.

To me, I rather to see students to wear uniform than private clothes.

Private schools....Not religious private schools, but more schools that are more academicly challenging then public schools. I would hate to go to a school that forced me to memorize Bible verses or whatever...... I hated public school b/c they were set up for the typical average student.....it's almost impossible for a kid who's gifted or a kid who requires special ed to suceed in a public school setting......

Private schools (Catholic) here do teach history and science..my oldest son goes to a catholic school and he is doing very well than he did in his old school. I would prefer catholic schools than public schools here because of the education. I don't have anything against public schools, it is just that the schools here doesnt have good education, poor deaf programs, a lot of gangs and fights, kids hurting other kids, etc.. I'd prefer my sons to go to a safe school setting which is the catholic schools here, it's safer than the public schools. That's just my opinion from what I see around here..

Teekie said:
Private schools (Catholic) here do teach history and science..my oldest son goes to a catholic school and he is doing very well than he did in his old school. I would prefer catholic schools than public schools here because of the education. I don't have anything against public schools, it is just that the schools here doesnt have good education, poor deaf programs, a lot of gangs and fights, kids hurting other kids, etc.. I'd prefer my sons to go to a safe school setting which is the catholic schools here, it's safer than the public schools. That's just my opinion from what I see around here..

I know science and history are taught, but they are taught from a biased viewpoint, and many elements are omitted because of the school's Christian foundation. I went to both, and I just prefer public.

Me, I prefer private school! Reason, equal opportunity for each students. This includes uniform requirements. I like the idea of uniform, so I don't have to hear my kid begging me for that expensive fad fashion clothes, whatever. It is NOT necessary! I sent my kid for education, NOT BRAGGING RIGHTS! Or other hand I don't want my kids to get picked for cheap clothes. Smaller classroom is other reason why.

Believe it or not, in city where I live, the public school which have student graduate with regent diplima is only cute 21%! While outlaying town public school and private school generally have student leaving their high school with regent diploma at the rate of at least 80%!!! SO FUK THAT CITY PUBLIC SCHOOL!

Bullym0m said:
I'd rather public school because we are taxpayers... So use it.

Same here too.. My boy Kyler is 3 years old and he go to school at public Pre-School. He love it. Next year, h is going to be in public Pre-Kindergarten.

diehardbiker65 said:
Me, I prefer private school! Reason, equal opportunity for each students. This includes uniform requirements. I like the idea of uniform, so I don't have to hear my kid begging me for that expensive fad fashion clothes, whatever. It is NOT necessary! I sent my kid for education, NOT BRAGGING RIGHTS! Or other hand I don't want my kids to get picked for cheap clothes. Smaller classroom is other reason why.

Believe it or not, in city where I live, the public school which have student graduate with regent diplima is only cute 21%! While outlaying town public school and private school generally have student leaving their high school with regent diploma at the rate of at least 80%!!! SO FUK THAT CITY PUBLIC SCHOOL!

A lot of public schools systems are now requiring students to wear uniforms. Memphis City Schools just started a couple of years ago.

This is really about a parent's choice. Each parent has a right to decide where they send their child to school, but if they choose a Christian school, they need to be prepared to adhere to the guidelines of that school, or face the consequences.

As for my preference, I would send my children to a public school, and put them in a science and technology program such as the ones we had where I was from. In that environment, the student received the preparation needed to attend Ivy League schools, and most of them did. They also excelled.

cental34 said:
A lot of public schools systems are now requiring students to wear uniforms. Memphis City Schools just started a couple of years ago.
same with minneapolis public schools are starting to wear uniforms

i also agree with diehardbiker... in city limits their education sucks while a small town their education rocks and more of them graduated than in city limits do.

but here in my town.. if a child is sent to pravite school you'll get refund from property taxes since those property taxes money goes to public schools and your kid doesn't go to public school.. also you'll get federal tax credit for expenses on ur children going to pravite schools.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
but here in my town.. if a child is sent to pravite school you'll get refund from property taxes since those property taxes money goes to public schools and your kid doesn't go to public school.. also you'll get federal tax credit for expenses on ur children going to pravite schools.

I disagree unless you get school voucher from local/state/federal government. It has nothing to do with property taxes for the private schools.

Anyone vouch Deafscuba's theory?

mld4ds said:
I disagree unless you get school voucher from local/state/federal government. It has nothing to do with property taxes for the private schools.

Anyone vouch Deafscuba's theory?

It is depend where you are from.

I work for the private school and it is not a christian school. But it is a good school that I work with and they do have sport. Also kids who go to private school do have a better attitude then the public school. My son was in a different private school for the last 4 yrs and now he is in public school. He is starting to giving me a hard time. So I am really thinking putting him back to private school so that he get a better attitude.

Also the cost of the private school can be expensive but my school do have finanical aid so I will have to talk to one of the lady who is a single mom with a child. She send her daughter there. I hope that thing will turn out the way I want if not. Then I would have to move somewhere else but in my town the school is sucks.

I used to attend private school from 1992-1997, and Fairfield Public Schools paid for my special needs and therapies. in 1997, they had PPT with my parents, and they figured out that I was having problems with reading and writing at that private school, because of my deafness and then FPS enrolled me without my knowledge (I was 11 in '97) and I had to repeat 5th grade with deaf education at my public elementary school.
In 4th grade, I wrote like this : i want go out friends. We will go mall.

my English was way behind a typical fourth grader and the language skills delayed by 4 years due to my profound deafness. Now, look at my English skills! I believe that public schools are the best, because they are REQUIRED TO meet the STATE REQUIREMENTS for students to be successful, although the con is that there are too much jerks and snobby people. I just focus on my education at my hs because I don't have many friends, yes, social life lacks in public schools.

rjr2006 said:
I used to attend private school from 1992-1997, and Fairfield Public Schools paid for my special needs and therapies. in 1997, they had PPT with my parents, and they figured out that I was having problems with reading and writing at that private school, because of my deafness and then FPS enrolled me without my knowledge (I was 11 in '97) and I had to repeat 5th grade with deaf education at my public elementary school.
In 4th grade, I wrote like this : i want go out friends. We will go mall.

my English was way behind a typical fourth grader and the language skills delayed by 4 years due to my profound deafness. Now, look at my English skills! I believe that public schools are the best, because they are REQUIRED TO meet the STATE REQUIREMENTS for students to be successful, although the con is that there are too much jerks and snobby people. I just focus on my education at my hs because I don't have many friends, yes, social life lacks in public schools.

Well I went to public schools all of my life from kindergarten to 12th grade,
and my grammars aren't better.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
Well I went to public schools all of my life from kindergarten to 12th grade,
and my grammars aren't better.

did you have deaf education in ALL K-12? If so, that is the cause. I terminated deaf education during my sophomore year and I am used to studying on my own.

cental34 said:
I know science and history are taught, but they are taught from a biased viewpoint...
...and public government schools don't teach science and history with a biased viewpoint? Ha, ha, that's a good one! :lol:

Back