Prince, The Singer, Dies At 57

AlleyCat

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/index.html

The artist known as Prince, who pioneered "the Minneapolis sound" and took on the music industry in his fight for creative freedom, died Thursday at age 57.

"It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning at the age of 57," said his publicist Yvette Noel-Schure.

Earlier Thursday, police said they were investigating a death Paisley Park studios in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

There is a massive outpouring of grief on social media. Some are saying the icon's death is what it sounds like when doves cry, a reference to his monster hit.

In early April, Prince said he wasn't feeling well, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, and canceled at least one concert in the city. Some days later, he took the stage in Atlanta to perform. After that concert, the singer's plane made an emergency landing, Noel-Schure told CNN. At the time she said, "He is fine and at home."

Prince has won seven Grammy Awards, and has earned 30 nominations. Five of his singles have topped the charts and 14 other songs hit the Top 10. He won an Oscar for the original song score to the classic film "Purple Rain."

The singer's predilection for lavishly kinky story-songs earned him the nickname, His Royal Badness. He is also known as the "Purple One" because of his colorful fashions. His sound was as unique and transfixing as he. He created what became known as Minneapolis sound which was a funky blend of pop, synth and new wave.

Controversy followed the singer and that, in part, made his fans adore him more. "Darling Nikki," a song that details a one-night stand, prompted the formation of the Parents Music Resource Center. Led by Al Gore's then wife, Tipper, the group encouraged record labels to place advisory labels on albums with explicit lyrics.

He left his imprint on so many aspects of popular culture from film to movies to sports to politics. As the Minnesota Vikings prepped to take on the New Orleans Saints in the 2010 NFC championship game, Prince wrote a fight song entitled "Purple and Gold" to inspire his home team. The Vikings lost. He was the half-time performer at the Super Bowl in 2007.

Last year while addressing the unrest following the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody in Baltimore, Prince released the song "Baltimore." He performed at a benefit concert in the city and gave a portion of the proceeds to youth groups in Baltimore.

If you didn't have people on ignore, you would have seen that this has already been posted.
Of course, I'm on your ignore list, so you won't see this either.

Yet another singer dies young. :(

damn... first time I heard him was When Doves Cry and 1999. He also co-wrote and sang duet with Madonna on at least one song (I believe This is Not a Love Song...)

Turning into the year we lose so many musicians... and celebrities...

May he rest in peace

Strange
For some reason I thought he was from London

Just found this on my newsfeed. Anyone should be able to view it as it's set to global (everyone).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1058030807562671&id=162957660403328

(shows two pictures of Prince when he showed up at Gallaudet in November 1984 to give a free concert in the Field House. I was at Gally that year but never knew otherwise I woulda gone!)

another really old article (good one aside from the use of "handicapped" but then it was the 1980s...)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...tudents/59494e6e-df41-4313-b252-99306cd91376/

I thought I put this current event and I can't believe how petty some people are around b/c I made an mistake ...

I thought I put this current event and I can't believe how petty some people are around b/c I made an mistake ...

The OP already made a thread and I merged yours into this thread and moved to current event. No one made a fuss about it, and I happen to just signed back online and saw 2 identical threads and I merged it together and moved to proper location.

who is being petty? One observation that the same information was already posted earlier and the moderator merged them....:confused:

That said... if anyone is interested- somewhere on Prince's website there is info about ASL and stories related to that. He has (or had) a jacket with his name Prince spelled out in ASL fingerspelling. The site is crashed right now (too many connections) though.

http://prince.org/

He was same my mom's ages but first Michael Jackson died in June 2009 they him

Not sure why I thought he was a Brit talking yardy from London....
(Shakes head)

Mmmmmm

Found dead in his elevator...
Damn
Well
That would be a strange way to go if it had mirrors on all sides...
Falling dead watching yourself Die infinite times...
Damn

Tmz is reporting prince went under due to an opiate overdose six days prior to his death and was resuscitated by a safe shot which most likely means narcan, though it can be administered a couple ways...and they are not spacidific.

Depending on the severity of the overdose and on what exactly (his plane had to turn around) mid flight to get him emergency medical attention

Given his age
If true
It's harder for tendon to bounce back from such if cardiac arrest or renal failure was involved...

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-treated-drug-overdose-dead/

Interesting as strange as it seems
Prince was a Jehovah's Witness..

And would actually canvass for his faith, in disguise....
Mm

Obviously most of his earlier work would be considered beyond the pale for them...

Strange world..

Back