Pride House in major sport events

sheri363

Reaction score
What do you think about Pride Houses for LGBT athletes for major athletic events such as Olympics, World Cup, World Championships, etc? Do we need to ensure that there are facilities made or set aside especially for them? So that they can relax without fear of ridicule? Why do we need to? Couldn't athletes of all sexuality preferences co-mingle peacefully? Why do we need to set aside a special room or facility for them? Are LGBT people going overboard in their demands for safe havens for athletes at these major events?

Discuss! Debate!

The moderators moved this thread from On Topic Debates. I don't like this move. Please move it back. Thanks.

Once upon a time, there was a similar debate about black soldiers. The question then was, "shouldn't we put all of the black soldiers in their own barracks so that they can relax and not have to feel stress and pressure from white soldiers?" Eventually, rational thinking prevailed, and black and white soldiers realized they had a common purpose. While some bigotry and racism still exists, it has diminished to the point where black and white soldiers can now acknowledge their common humanity, live together in close quarters, and trust each other.

Perhaps someday, a question like the one posed in the original post won't be necessary. Perhaps someday, all athletes will recognize their common purpose. Is that day here? I wish I could answer with a strong "yes". But, we are close. Perhaps the question is best answered by the athletes themselves. The younger generation could care less about sexuality. It's only policy makers from older generations who seem to carry their prejudices of the past into the present day. It's only narrow-minded outsiders looking in without an understanding of the drive which brings these athletes to one place. It's only the ignorant who fail to understand the common bond formed between teammates.

The relevance of this question to the Deaf Community should be clear. You could just as easily have asked, Do Deaf people need separate housing because they use ASL and can't hear the doorbell? Are hearing people made uncomfortable because Deaf use a language Hearies don't understand? Are Deafies uncomfortable living in a world that fails to recognize them as capable human beings? Or, from the OP..."so that they can relax without fear of ridicule? Why do we need to?"

Seriously, do you need to ask this question here? Isolating a community because of a perception simply perpetuates misunderstanding. The more that the LGBT community is seen in the same light as the hetero world, the less fear and prejudice there will be. Can't we say the same about the Deaf Community? Maybe someday ASL will be taught in public schools right along side French and Spanish. Maybe someday a Deaf family will be able to go out to a restaurant and no one will stare when they sign through dinner. Maybe someday a police office won't assume someone is resisting arrest when all they are trying to do is communicate with their hands.

So, you want my answer... NO, you don't need to provide separate housing so that straight athletes can take a shower. NO, you don't need to provide separate housing so that LGBT athletes can sleep at night without fear of harassment. What you need is for people to get over it and grow up. What you need is for everybody to look at the person you fear and realize they are just like you. Black, White, Gay, Deaf... maybe someday is will just be... people.

Seriously, do you need to ask this question here? Isolating a community because of a perception simply perpetuates misunderstanding. The more that the LGBT community is seen in the same light as the hetero world, the less fear and prejudice there will be. Can't we say the same about the Deaf Community? Maybe someday ASL will be taught in public schools right along side French and Spanish. Maybe someday a Deaf family will be able to go out to a restaurant and no one will stare when they sign through dinner. Maybe someday a police office won't assume someone is resisting arrest when all they are trying to do is communicate with their hands.

That's precisely why I wanted this in the other one. On-topic Debate. Thats where it belongs so that we all can talk about it, debate about it. So that every things open to discussion. I don't know why the moderator moved it. And I wasn't trying to isolate this community.

No. I think its a bad idea...
But if they want to pwu for it..no plm...

I don't agree that athlete villages need a pride house. It's akin to segregation based on skin colour. Pride House is segregation based on sexual preference.

And again I didn't post this thread here. The mods did so please go blame them.

And again I didn't post this thread here. The mods did so please go blame them.

I don't read anything from anyone that mentions blame. That seems to be an improper word choice. You seem to be the only person that wishes to provoke some kind of argument. It is a false debate if no one is willing to take a position that supports separate housing for LGBT athletes. But, perhaps that is why you wished for the post to be placed in another section of the forum. Isn't that called trolling?

I dont see it as trolling. Shes just asking a question to provoke discussion..nothing wrong with that really...

Back