Posting items to sell on different forums...

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Is it ethical or not? Not asking if it is illegal. Here is an example. Let's say I'm not member of Ford Mustang forums. I don't hang out on Mustang forums. I got a Ford Mustang to sell. Is it ok to log on to Ford Mustang to post a vehicle to sell and then "disappear" once it sells.

Kind of like people come on AllDeaf to ask for help on ASL project and then disappear.

Your thoughts?

I think it's a great idea. Using your example, those people on Ford Mustang forum would probably LOVE to see a Mustang for sale. Even if you don't hang around after, they'll know your name as "the guy who sells Ford Mustangs" and they'll welcome you back when you have another one to sell!

People go on forums for different reasons, not just to be a part of that community. Just my opinion.

I think it's not an issue as long as you are not there to cause problems. You are just there to sell the parts or car, and hey on the other hand, someone might want the car or part you are selling. If you sell it, and if you have the decency, you could tell the moderator/admin there to close your account and explain to them why - that you won't be posting there as a participating member so you have done your share, and the forum can decide if they want to keep you or not because your account is a part of their resources.

As long as your intent is not there to deceive/lie, cheat the members or steal something they did not want to give you: not just money (ex: like people's personal information, email, etc), that kind of stuff, you should be fine on any place on the internet. Remember, having respect and not messing with others applies everywhere.

It's all honesty and ethics that are the key. Not whether or not you are a good contributor or high post count.

I think it's not an issue as long as you are not there to cause problems. You are just there to sell the parts or car, and hey on the other hand, someone might want the car or part you are selling. If you sell it, and if you have the decency, you could tell the moderator/admin there to close your account and explain to them why - that you won't be posting there as a participating member so you have done your share, and the forum can decide if they want to keep you or not because your account is a part of their resources.

As long as your intent is not there to deceive/lie, cheat the members or steal something they did not want to give you: not just money (ex: like people's personal information, email, etc), that kind of stuff, you should be fine on any place on the internet. Remember, having respect and not messing with others applies everywhere.

It's all honesty and ethics that are the key. Not whether or not you are a good contributor or high post count.

That's good advice for him, but do you think people on forums will not like it if someone posts only to sell something and then "disappears" as Derek said? Even on AD i've seen people make comments about the people who post once or twice and then never come back.
Just wonder how you feel about that.

I still think it's a good idea for Derek to post his for-sales on specific forums. What he has may be exactly what the members are looking for. Good luck, Derek!!!

Interesting....I used to be on one forum. THat forum had a rule that you had to have at least 10 posts before you would post something for sale. I think that is a good rule.

Is it ethical or not? Not asking if it is illegal. Here is an example. Let's say I'm not member of Ford Mustang forums. I don't hang out on Mustang forums. I got a Ford Mustang to sell. Is it ok to log on to Ford Mustang to post a vehicle to sell and then "disappear" once it sells.

Kind of like people come on AllDeaf to ask for help on ASL project and then disappear.

Your thoughts?

I have been a member of several auto forums , Joined as I owned... If you have been a member for awhile yes, post. If you just joined and post a for sale most wont let you untill you have several posts, and some treat it as spam/scam if the member is not active.
Had a guy on the dakota site try to sell some custom rims and no one commented and he kept coming on just begging someone to buy them so he was banned and post deleted. They said be an active member they are not a free classified ad.

I have been a member of several auto forums , Joined as I owned... If you have been a member for awhile yes, post. If you just joined and post a for sale most wont let you untill you have several posts, and some treat it as spam/scam if the member is not active.
Had a guy on the dakota site try to sell some custom rims and no one commented and he kept coming on just begging someone to buy them so he was banned and post deleted. They said be an active member they are not a free classified ad.

I would ban that guy too if I was running forum. Those custom rims are not exactly Dakota exclusive. They would go on a F250. I would use Dakota forum to sell Dakota/Ram parts, not custom rims.

Nope, the dakota came with 2 odd sized bolt pattern, a 5 lug and a 6 lug. so any aftermarket rims are special ordered,,, These are guys who either lifted or dropped their trucks, so they were changing style or lowering and went with a new wheel. Nice wheels but the price, getting them shipped and not knowing the person were the big issues. There were some members bought something from a one timer on the forums and never got the products, numbers were changed and no such address where shipped from, so yes, I would be leary too if there is no verification of that person. On the dakota site I did alot of selling/trading with the owner at first so I was trusted, as well as other sites I am still a member of even after I have sold that vehicle, they enjoy the shared knowledge and wealth of info, as well as the jokes.

Interesting....I used to be on one forum. THat forum had a rule that you had to have at least 10 posts before you would post something for sale. I think that is a good rule.
Those "you can't do ____ until you have # posts", I think it's just another way to circumvent spammers from gaining access to features of forums. It applies often for Sale/Trade sections in forums because they want to see you are not a scammer to steal money, which is different concept from a spammer.

Even on AD i've seen people make comments about the people who post once or twice and then never come back.
Just wonder how you feel about that.
Not a problem imo, the staff cleans out spam, non-posters or old accounts who have a few posts and haven't been accessed in awhile.

Generally speaking, my impression is that respect is earned on a forum after getting to know people over time, not overnight. It is just like street cred, everyone has to start from scratch - but people advance differently.

Nothing wrong with it at all. I sell some stuff on different forums myself and some of my customers are newbies themselves that has never contributed to a discussion. I do find forums to be boring at times and have nothing to add to the discussions that already has been stated. Its both ways, there are "LURKERS" that just do not want to contribute and some people do not have consistent internet access or even worse, some of them are dead by now.

Generally speaking, my impression is that respect is earned on a forum after getting to know people over time, not overnight. It is just like street cred, everyone has to start from scratch - but people advance differently.

Oh ok, I understand what you mean.

Back