Post Office employees

USPS work is very stress, lot of headache to track on time and money. Stamp keep raise and it doesn't break well on their business.

I would agree IF there is no online billing, no online payment, no direct deposit, no E mail, even if Internet does not exist. But today, people are using Internet much more than ever, which result spiral downward mail volume that result less deliveries needed. How can they retain the income if their business is dying?

A little conspiracy here - they always announce a dooming news of closing down the businesses and that usually prompt investor/government to put in more budget. :hmm:

I am mail carrier for this rural town. I love my job. Of course some day too much, long hours and heavy mail volumes wear me out. Plus I deal with many as##hole drivers out on the streets. Past two weeks, I got three flat tires on my mail truck and steering trouble which mechanic said there was nothing wrong with it. Took three weeks till I finally told my boss, not safe to drive it till it gets fix right. She called headquarter to tell mechanic man to fix whole steering from top to bottom. Now I notice something funny feeling coming out of mail truck while I drive it. That is my most big headache. always trouble with mail truck.

I try to be friendly with my customers everyday sometime they can be pain in the neck ( only I know few and I am being careful with them I put red flag on them cuz they are most picky ones). I dont mind people stopped me and gave me thier mails or asked me for the directions.

Last month I got pulled over by surprise PO inspectors. You know what they told me, I did not shoulder belt enough. It made my job hell of course more time for me and less money.

Oh other things, I live in hot weather I deal with hot everyday and do you think I love it? no. People here understand if I do not smile cuz sometime I get tired from dealing with heat. There is no AC in the mail truck so image how hot inside the truck, prehap up to 120 degree. Oh other things there is fire about 90 miles away and I breath smoke for 3 hours today. I smell it.

Do you want to hear more? I am used to those and used to very high stress.

Our regular delivery person is great. He carries dog biscuits and the pooches love him. Only problem is that he gives my dogs too many biscuits when they're on a diet. :cool2:
My co woker did same thing till inspectors told her she can not give out biscuits to dogs anymore.

I would agree IF there is no online billing, no online payment, no direct deposit, no E mail, even if Internet does not exist. But today, people are using Internet much more than ever, which result spiral downward mail volume that result less deliveries needed. How can they retain the income if their business is dying?

No big difference online billies, It is 3rd classes mails are gone down since last year. We depend on 3rd classes more than first class mails. Many businesses has gone so it hurt us more.

I am mail carrier for this rural town. I love my job. Of course some day too much, long hours and heavy mail volumes wear me out. Plus I deal with many as##hole drivers out on the streets. Past two weeks, I got three flat tires on my mail truck and steering trouble which mechanic said there was nothing wrong with it. Took three weeks till I finally told my boss, not safe to drive it till it gets fix right. She called headquarter to tell mechanic man to fix whole steering from top to bottom. Now I notice something funny feeling coming out of mail truck while I drive it. That is my most big headache. always trouble with mail truck.

I try to be friendly with my customers everyday sometime they can be pain in the neck ( only I know few and I am being careful with them I put red flag on them cuz they are most picky ones). I dont mind people stopped me and gave me thier mails or asked me for the directions.

Last month I got pulled over by surprise PO inspectors. You know what they told me, I did not shoulder belt enough. It made my job hell of course more time for me and less money.

Oh other things, I live in hot weather I deal with hot everyday and do you think I love it? no. People here understand if I do not smile cuz sometime I get tired from dealing with heat. There is no AC in the mail truck so image how hot inside the truck, prehap up to 120 degree. Oh other things there is fire about 90 miles away and I breath smoke for 3 hours today. I smell it.

What you are doing, many people appreciate and keep up the good work!

Growing up, we were friends with our mail carriers and still to this day, we always put a Christmas gift for our mail carriers.

Hubby was taken aback when he saw me wrap a Christmas gift for our mail carrier. I told him it was a tradition growing up. One year it would be a store gift card, the next year it would be a pack of thick socks and the other year it'd be a restaurant gift card.

Postal workers, mail carriers, UPS workers... they work hard. They have to go through the seasonal environment a lot more than we do. The cold winters, the humid summers, the rainy springs/falls and they can't call in sick for the weather.

Sometimes they have to put up with annoying little dogs running after their ankles or they slip down icy steps because we think they're doing fine with their boots. It is a heavy job with the mail, they have more junk mail to deliver than regular mail.

Yes I recieced Christmas gifts from them and it made my days great and I send them a thank note for thinking of us.

Yeah it all depends on environment people work. I've heard that applicants has to pass some kind of exam to be able to be hired. When I was hired at UPS, I didn't take such exam... when the interview was done, then I got the job.

Dust is also a big problem, as some are allergic, some can't stand dust. In the first few years would be toughest then later on the more seniority, the easier job.

Some stayed because of great benefit program it have. Some don't care and quit... people are different.
I took exam and I passed it no problem. Plus they have a great interpters so I had no trouble took the exam and passed it.

No big difference online billies, It is 3rd classes mails are gone down since last year. We depend on 3rd classes more than first class mails. Many businesses has gone so it hurt us more.

what's 3rd class mail?

that's why i'm very thankful to all my mail carriers and we give them a very generous Christmas & New Years gift.

what's 3rd class mail?
They are junk mails. Mostly companies sell businesses thru junk mails for cheaper price. For instance today I got bulk mails from Costco to deliever to Costco's customers. They are what we call 3rd classes, and we can not forward them if customers moved away. Second classes are flats which are alike magazines. First classes are regular letter, 44 cents stamp or bigger depend on the size of letter and weight.

We used to have alike 8 trays of mails, mostly 3rd classes but now it has gone down to alike 4 or 5 trays a day. You see many businesses had gone out of businesses around here. I lost my biggest customers are the businesses.

What you are doing, many people appreciate and keep up the good work!
thanks. :) not often for them to see a deaf carrier. I am so grateful for my postmaster wanted me to work for her after she saw my fill in for highway contractor for few years which it paid off. I would have gone to highway contract if the PO did not hire me.

Bulk mail and BRM mail is a huge pain, especially manual way. Not every business has machines or a service. Old cost was .00 now .000 which is silly. The clean address system is a big pain too. Cost of having everything reprinted or over printed. Paperwork for bulks is always changing. Used to, we saved almost half off the cost of first class mail. Not true now. Cost of work to prepare, sort, deliver to po and then returned for better address at first class rate. Too much money, time, effort - bah!

However, our carriers are very very nice. I like them. I feel bad that PO management has gotten so difficult on the carriers.

I have noticed that PO in smaller towns are more friendlier than larger towns/cities. YMMV..

No wonder my dog didn't like grouchy ones (i keep him away from them) at the office but at home he adores my regular PM he comes in toss biccie and dropped my mail on my door step as he knows i am home... as most of my mail wont fit in the damn door and i don't leave my dog outside if i am out.
My dog then asks for more!!... I gave the PM box of choccies at xmas and small easter eggs for easter. they loved it. I make sure its the PM before leaving it on the door step before he comes otherwise Kids will eat it!...

I work outside in all weather all year round, lunging heavy weights on regular bias, on crap pay and i still smile at customers!! A small smile won't hurt and you would get apperication back... being grouchy sets customers off and they do same then do same to new PM or other people who tried to be customer friendly... so it goes round in circle! But in fact it's getting worse I think. I appericate the PM's job. It can be an ASS but we need PM to deliver our mails.

As i have one, I notice now more and more doors have "NO JUNK MAIL" logos stuck on their doors. I hope the PM won't have to carry the Junks back!

Our mail carrier always seems pretty cheerful, even though she has to deliver a lot of packages to my address. The woman at the post office seems nice too... sometimes helps me with the stamps when I've put on the wrong one. :)

Back