post office cuts saturday

Thought this would happen a long time ago. Seems silly to deliver packages and keep post offices open though, they'd save a lot more money if they shut down Saturday completely.

Would probably be better to pick a different day of week to close and keep Saturday open. Now they may lose Saturday customers who will do UPS or Fed Express. Many people can go to post office on Saturday only.

But UPS and FedEx don't deliver on Saturdays, do they? I think too many businesses depend on mail so they have to be open all weekdays.

But UPS and FedEx don't deliver on Saturdays, do they? I think too many businesses depend on mail so they have to be open all weekdays.

I'm not sure that UPS and Fed Express deliver on Saturday. However, I've seen UPS and Fed Express stores open on Saturday. Therefore a person would stop by to drop off packages.

So would a person be able to go to USPS on Saturday to send out mail even though mail deliveries will stop?

Ah, I see.

Yes, the post office says that any branches that are open now on Saturdays will stay open.

I see it more clearly now. People can still send out mail on Saturday, so it won't be a problem. If a person wants a mail to arrive on Friday, maybe send it out on Wednesday instead of Thursday so that it arrives on Friday instead of Monday. I'm sure most people can do without Saturday mail.

:( Waiting for the mail is the highlight of my Saturdays. Well, one hightlight, though I usually don't get much mail anyway.

It was bound to happen with the reduction of mail/bills due to the internet. 99% of my bills are online now with email notifications. And I pay most of my bills online (usually through my bank).

You guys are right ... its bound to happen due to internet and emails.
I really dont care for saturday mail and it makes no sense to have men/women delivering mail on a 6 day schedule and try to fill in 5 out of 6 with enough people.
Just think - that is alot of gas and diesel saved not being used for one day across the whole nation. I am not even mentioning the salary saved. The delivery guys will finally have a real weekend off. The post office will remain open on sat and it makes sense since some people dont have time weekdays to do mail stuff. Whatever mail is supposed to be delivered on sat will be delivered monday so we will still get it.
Its a good thing that we all have direct deposit now too though.:D

From OP
The postal service said on Wednesday it will continue to deliver packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail on Saturday.

Not bad, I got some packages on Saturday.

Postal Service Announces New Delivery Schedule
USPS announces new delivery schedule

It's would says Monday thru Friday delivery mail and send packages Saturdays I can't blame the post office due policy of post office it's so unfair!

That sucks!! That no fair to deliver Saturday!

Would probably be better to pick a different day of week to close and keep Saturday open. Now they may lose Saturday customers who will do UPS or Fed Express. Many people can go to post office on Saturday only.

UPS and FedEx do not deliver on weekends. Their offices will be open but they do not deliver unless you cough up extra fees for Saturday delivery.

USPS will remain open on Saturday and will deliver packages on Saturday.

The postal service said on Wednesday it will continue to deliver packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs. Post offices which are now open on Saturdays will continue to be open on Saturdays.

lol. ya'all - lemme give you a hint....

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Yep, all those wonderful ads and solicitations for credit cards, etc.

Exactly! Poor trees!

I literally only check my mail about once a month. 95% goes in a shredder without even being opened.

Exactly! Poor trees!

I literally only check my mail about once a month. 95% goes in a shredder without even being opened.

What about IRS Audit, state departments, federal departments, court summons, collection agencies, city/county and other important documents? If you only receive electronically - that's cool.

I prefer to check everyday to keep tracked and ensure that no consequence on my life.

Back