Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonocativo

Reaction score
Just a poll to see what the ratio is of the members born Deaf ( Culturally ) and those Late deafened (d). Also the ones wearing Hearing aids (HA) and those with implant (CI) and why you love or hate them. And those who are considering getting implanted how they feel about what they have heard during their journey.

I am Late Deafened, wore HA's until they no longer helped me, completely deaf since 2004. Got my implants 2014/2015 ( Bi-Lateral ) and I love them. They gave me back what I missed for so long. Although they are great, there are still Pros and Cons.... Love that I can hear just hate still being tied to batteries and stuff hanging on my ears/head.
I love the choice of both worlds ( silence and sound )

Deaf since birth although I did wear hearing aids when I was young.

Last edited:
I'm not on that pool in one regard...since I'm between getting the CI and experiencing it (between surgery and activation). ;)

I'm late deafened (began in my 30s). Have worn hearing aids since '98 (first just one ear). Within last two years hearing has gotten to the point that I miss a lot. So, here I am with a CI in my ear waiting for activation.

I'm not on that pool in one regard...since I'm between getting the CI and experiencing it (between surgery and activation). ;)

I'm late deafened (began in my 30s). Have worn hearing aids since '98 (first just one ear). Within last two years hearing has gotten to the point that I miss a lot. So, here I am with a CI in my ear waiting for activation.
well you can fall into the last category and update later ( you can change your vote ) share your experiences along the way

Born Deaf.... hearing aids since the age of 2. Still wear 'em though it's been a pain in the ass many times. More so now...

Born deaf, wear HAs. I don't mind them, although occasionally they're a PITA. Remember deaf nerd mommy's thread about the beeping? And they don't help much at all to understand anything, but it's nice to just hear some sounds.

... where is the deafened during childhood option? I was 2 when I went deaf (meningitis). Wore hearing aids since I was almost 3 years old (took my parents a while to find an audiologist that could properly test my hearing in late 1980's), stopped wearing left hearing aid around 4th grade cause I thought it was pointless (never heard a thing). Got more curious/interested in CIs in high school, got first CI I think 5 years ago? in left, right ear implanted 2 years ago. I like being able to hear what's going on, and I love that I can get sound in my left ear. Also always nice to go deaf too when I don't want to hear anything. :)

... where is the deafened during childhood option? I was 2 when I went deaf (meningitis). Wore hearing aids since I was almost 3 years old (took my parents a while to find an audiologist that could properly test my hearing in late 1980's), stopped wearing left hearing aid around 4th grade cause I thought it was pointless (never heard a thing). Got more curious/interested in CIs in high school, got first CI I think 5 years ago? in left, right ear implanted 2 years ago. I like being able to hear what's going on, and I love that I can get sound in my left ear. Also always nice to go deaf too when I don't want to hear anything. :)
That would fall into the second category as late deafened (not born deaf) regardless if 1 yo or 50 yo.... you were late deafened.

That would fall into the second category as late deafened (not born deaf) regardless if 1 yo or 50 yo.... you were late deafened.
I was born with some sort of ear infections, doctors never found out exactly what it was, vertigo threw me out of bed constantly. In 2nd grade I got hearing aids but they just made things worst so I quit wearing them around 4th or 5th grade due to bullying and fighting. Didn't get new aids til 2002 and they were digital, supposed to be the best out there, pushing their max and constantly burning out. by 2004 that was it, they couldn't do anything else and I was into a world of silence. After 2010 when my son was born, my wife was concerned about me watching our son and started researching ways to restore my hearing and so the journey began. 12/2014 and 3/2015 I was bi-laterally implanted, amazing what I never heard before.

Really? Regardless if 1 year old or 50 years old, we all gather under the same banner, late deafened?
No wonder I feel so intimidated by some deaf folk. :razz:

Really? Regardless if 1 year old or 50 years old, we all gather under the same banner, late deafened?
No wonder I feel so intimidated by some deaf folk. :razz:
Well if you heard when you were born and you didn't later, that would be a past tense.... lol

I was born totally Deaf. I haven't wore CI since I was 15 (1997) years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back