Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, wrong.
Deaf as in NEVER heard a sound since birth... nada, zip....
HOH- can hear but not well, degraded/degrading hearing... is not Deaf as they can hear but not well or well enough.

There is a very hugh difference between the two. Either youre Hot or cold ( Deaf or hearing ) but if youre warm (HOH) its very simple to understand, but you all refuse to sadly, just want to argue youre this when youre not. let it soak in instead of being conditioned to what you think is correct when its a medical fact, quit lying to yourself.
I have taken several audiological courses and the truth is that you are mistaken. Ask any medical professional involved with ears and hearing and you will receive the same answer I have given you. The audiological definition of deaf is a severe to profound hearing loss. To be considered hard of hearing, for research and data purposes, that is defined as having a mild to moderately severe hearing loss.

Just because your opinion is that deaf means someone who has absolutely no residual hearing, and never has, does not mean that the rest of the world has to change medical and scientific definitions to conform to your thoughts.

Teacher of the Deaf, I didn't want to quote your whole post because it's long. But in the d/Deaf community, we call ourselves what WE want, regardless of our db loss. It isn't up to you to tell us what we are comfortable with identifying as. Get that straight right now.

I am asking what you rightfully were when born, NOT what you self proclaim and identify yourself as... simple as that, what the poll states.

Teacher of the Deaf, I didn't want to quote your whole post because it's long. But in the d/Deaf community, we call ourselves what WE want, regardless of our db loss. It isn't up to you to tell us what we are comfortable with identifying as. Get that straight right now.
Exactly.
It is only how WE identify ourselves, nothing more and nothing less.

Exactly.
It is only how WE identify ourselves, nothing more and nothing less.
The poll is not asking how you identify yourself... same as born male or female... you werent born gay, male or female and you later down the road identify due to chemical imbalances became gay to your likings... same with hearing, the identifying yourself is separate. funny how this goes.

I was born hard of hearing, so I dont identify as Deaf or deaf since birth, but late deafened as I could hear somewhat til it was gone completely. Now I Identify as deaf that I have no hearing whatsoever ( yes I can hear with CI's ) but without them I am 100% deaf, no sounds can be heard regardless of how loud they may be, I cant even hear a gun when I shoot them.... That is Deaf.

God I love this crazy forum.

The poll is not asking how you identify yourself... same as born male or female... you werent born gay, male or female and you later down the road identify due to chemical imbalances became gay to your likings... same with hearing, the identifying yourself is separate. funny how this goes.

I was born hard of hearing, so I dont identify as Deaf or deaf since birth, but late deafened as I could hear somewhat til it was gone completely. Now I Identify as deaf that I have no hearing whatsoever ( yes I can hear with CI's ) but without them I am 100% deaf, no sounds can be heard regardless of how loud they may be, I cant even hear a gun when I shoot them.... That is Deaf.

God I love this crazy forum.
I was born hearing and became deaf at age two.
I think I understand the turmoil. I have a hard time typing Deaf, just because of my upbringing, because I wasn't exposed to it. I had pneumonia, and this doctor in this military base gave me a shot which killed most of the nerves in my ears. Now mind you, I can hold my own in social gatherings of the Deaf/deaf, and I cannot help but notice that there is no discussion on why you are deaf. Or Deaf. Or how.

I'm deaf since I was born, due to nerve damage in both of my ears...parents noticed something and that I'm not responding to sounds. Started learn sign and social with other deaf and hoh toddlers in preschool at age 2. Grew up mainstream classes from Kindergarten through college. I'm the only deaf person in my family.

Everyone is different how to identify themselves...to each their own.

I was born hearing and became deaf at age two.
I think I understand the turmoil. I have a hard time typing Deaf, just because of my upbringing, because I wasn't exposed to it. I had pneumonia, and this doctor in this military base gave me a shot which killed most of the nerves in my ears. Now mind you, I can hold my own in social gatherings of the Deaf/deaf, and I cannot help but notice that there is no discussion on why you are deaf. Or Deaf. Or how.

I have mentioned it in several posts and threads, Including here. But again, I was born with a severe ear infection, Doctors didnt know what it was. I had extreme earaches into my teen years constantly, severe vertigo that threw me from my bed as the bed felt like it would spin extremely fast and Id roll off no mater how tight I held on. They never diagnosed me with anything as they were thumped on it ( remember this was late 60's ) as Ive said, I went through a ton of testing as a human Genia pig as a child, the most torture id never submit my child through...

So, I could hear but just not well... so born HOH and late deafened.

Now I identify as full deaf because I am, with no residual hearing and i have Cochlear Implants. So I can hear with my processors, but Legally I am full deaf.

Last edited:
1. Partially or completely lacking in the sense of hearing.
So as I scrolled down and read the whole post/link, you want to claim #1 is all you need to see, well if you scrolled down enough you would have seen this:

1. Unable to hear. She has been deaf since birth.

so your remark is invalid as its in the books, yet youre careless to "read" before running at the mouth ( or should I say fingers? )

Like I said before, you can twist it any ways to your liking but the facts are there. In fact, Its all there.

He says he is asking about audiological status, but then makes up his own rules. Community and culture is a separate question.

So as I scrolled down and read the whole post/link, you want to claim #1 is all you need to see, well if you scrolled down enough you would have seen this:

1. Unable to hear. She has been deaf since birth.

so your remark is invalid as its in the books, yet youre careless to "read" before running at the mouth ( or should I say fingers? )

Like I said before, you can twist it any ways to your liking but the facts are there. In fact, Its all there.
Do you not understand how a dictionary works?

I have mentioned it in several posts and threads, Including here. But again, I was born with a severe ear infection, Doctors didnt know what it was. I had extreme earaches into my teen years constantly, severe vertigo that threw me from my bed as the bed felt like it would spin extremely fast and Id roll off no mater how tight I held on. They never diagnosed me with anything as they were thumped on it ( remember this was late 60's ) as Ive said, I went through a ton of testing as a human Genia pig as a child, the most torture id never submit my child through...

So, I could hear but just not well... so born HOH and late deafened.

Now I identify as full deaf because I am, with no residual hearing and i have Cochlear Implants. So I can hear with my processors, but Legally I am full deaf.
Can you show me a definition of "legal deafness'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back