Poll of all polls

Which are you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love is the same emotion as hate.

Oh, I'd LOVE to choke her out, dont get me wrong lol

So how can I be 'extremely HOH' if without my hearing aids I hear nothing? Somebody could be yelling at me but wouldn't hear or understand them. Just vibrations of loud noises? When I was younger.. there were SOME sounds I could...I guess hear- one was the high pitch of a Silky Terrier barking...while sitting right in front of me (further than that nope). With my hearing aids yes I know I'm 'medically' HOH but I still am deaf (in my eyes at least).

meh...HOH is deaf, deaf is HOH. Either way it's all I know and that's that.

So how can I be 'extremely HOH' if without my hearing aids I hear nothing? Somebody could be yelling at me but wouldn't hear or understand them. Just vibrations of loud noises? When I was younger.. there were SOME sounds I could...I guess hear- one was the high pitch of a Silky Terrier barking...while sitting right in front of me (further than that nope). With my hearing aids yes I know I'm 'medically' HOH but I still am deaf (in my eyes at least).

meh...HOH is deaf, deaf is HOH. Either way it's all I know and that's that.

Exactly, state schools see HoH and deaf are virtually deaf, it is same thing.

Because you have combined two different things, cultural deaf and audiological (medical), to make your own hybrid from the two! I think this is what Teacherofthedeaf was getting at.

Teacherofthedeaf is saying she has training in audiology. You have used the slang term audi yourself in referring to your audiologist.

No need to nitpicking...

HoH is deaf... deaf is deaf... it is all about deaf people... easy to say deaf...

No need to nitpicking...

HoH is deaf... deaf is deaf... it is all about deaf people... easy to say deaf...
Hope you're not saying that with a mouthful of crackers. ;)

Oh brother.
I was trying to edit stuff, and this came up. I am sorry.

90 db or above is profound deaf but there are many HOH people that identify themselves as Deaf. That is okay with me.

90 db or above is profound deaf but there are many HOH people that identify themselves as Deaf. That is okay with me.
I guess you dont care that they claim to be Disabled and collect on that alone as well?

But as the discussions here in the past, does HOH warrant getting disability... no.
I agree. But I'm assuming no SSDI office is going to grant benefits on someone who doesn't qualify, despite what they identify themselves as.

Disability is based on the percentage of someone incapability, Just being deaf alone doesnt warrant that, they base it on how much they cant do overall in general, such as someone blind or paralized they can be very limited as far as mobility, deaf has its limits as far as hearing so it wont interfere with most non-hazardous jobs. When I was working with heavy machinery, i was about to have a Hearing Service dog, but I transferred out as the job was just too much of a health risk even with a service dog as we had cave ins while deep in the trenches ( even being shored up ) you just cant hear the dangers lurking around every corner but you can still function to a higher degree than most.

All these jobs/careers I had and that mikey dude couldnt get out there...lol
just set your mind to it and reach for the stars... some choose the easy way out.

SSI and SSDI use SGA to determine if you are unable to work due to disabilities.

But as the discussions here in the past, does HOH warrant getting disability... no.

Oh you'd be surprised.

I was approved- they stated for deafness.. my vision "issues" were not included oddly enough- but that may have been before my more recent dx. Fairly sure they saw the info that I do wear hearing aids ... and that I use VRS but with vco. So.. :dunno:

Believe me.. I'd rather not be on SSDI but an income no matter the size helps a little. And yes I'm trying to do something about it... (if you have about 10-14K, you can pay for my bootcamp ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back