Political meetings - amelioration of hearing impairment?

Glasson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not hearing impaired myself but I am actually visually impaired (I can see but not well enough to drive - I carry a white symbol cane everywhere with me).

Recently I've realised that my local branch of a UK political party has a severely to profoundly deaf branch officer who doesn't understand nearly anything of what's being said. He seems to be missing over 80%+ of what is actually said at the meeting. I think that it's outrageous that he has a senior position within the branch yet cannot understand most of his own branch meeting.

I've been a member of this political party for many years - in fact a third of the length of this party's entire existence - and I am worried that he cannot discharge his duties effectively if he cannot understand what's being said.

I should explain that I have my own developmental disabilities and therefore I struggle to make myself understood with him. My 'mind blindness' often leads to him not understanding what I say to him, because I speak too quickly and do not move my lips enough. I frequently end up sending him texts for important things I need to tell him.

I think he is upset with me because I am complaining about this, and other elements of discrimination (even more glaring than this) within the local party. I have taken this to the national level but whether anything comes of this, I am not certain.

Are there any practical solutions that may be made for him? He does have an NHS hearing aid but he complains that it is poor quality. I don't know if he can speak BSE or not.

Many thanks.

Back