Please Read This!

Amby

Reaction score
Gosh Im TOTALLY Pissed. I got to school at around 8:10 (Bus was late due to the snow), so i went on to my 1st period class. I find out that my interpreter isn't there... so I ask for permission to go on to main office, so i asked where she was. They (the people at the main office) said they dont know, and made some calls, trying to find her. They didnt... and they said, well ill try and find out something. So they made some calls, and i left back to my class. Then I just went this period since I had american history earlier... They told me that my interpreter had called in sick LAST NIGHT... and the person whom is my "cse" manager.. apparently forgot to call my interpreter coordinator (she gets sub interpreters for me).... So when they called today... apparently during one of these periods, they werent able to get an interpreter. She said that she's gonna try and get one for 11:30.. But they arent even sure if ill have one. They say that if they do get one, it'll only be till the end of study hall, which is 7th.. and next is Chemistry...

I know how you feel. I've had this happen to me before. These things shouldn't happen. Communication is very important. Grr!

It happen to me very rare! In high school, I usually get wavied for some classes' work if interpreter didn't show up or given noticed.

VamPyroX said:
I know how you feel. I've had this happen to me before. These things shouldn't happen. Communication is very important. Grr!

Vamp- I agree with you- these things should not be happening. Yes, communication is very important, but apparently probably the people at school are just slow at realizing that.

Illustrator- Im glad that you got waived for it if u didnt have an interpreter, but I... I went through the entire morning (up to at the end of lunch) with no interpreter. The rest of the day, I had one. But I am still angry.

I've had the same problem too, but that was in high school and they had poorly organised teachers who would forget about me and make me sit through entire classes bored and not understanding a thing. But at uni, the interpreter service was organised by the Deaf Society and much better organised, and luckily uni is flexible, they don't care if you miss a lecture, so if my interpreter co-ordinator informed me in advance they can't get me an interpreter, I would just simply miss the class.

Ziusudra said:
I've had the same problem too, but that was in high school and they had poorly organised teachers who would forget about me and make me sit through entire classes bored and not understanding a thing. But at uni, the interpreter service was organised by the Deaf Society and much better organised, and luckily uni is flexible, they don't care if you miss a lecture, so if my interpreter co-ordinator informed me in advance they can't get me an interpreter, I would just simply miss the class.

Ziusudra- Yes, that's understandable in the past when the interpreter organizations were just starting up... but right now we are in a period of time when deaf accessiblity is starting to become more known all over the country. My school has a huge responsiblity on providing me these services. I've let them slide about the phone issue- they wldnt even let me get a tty set up here- wouldnt pay for it. The issue was because sometimes when i was at sports events, just coming back from a game or something- sometimes we wld be early or late at arriving at the school.
Now, with the interpreter issue- my cse manager is fully aware of my needs for interpreter. Let's take something in consideration- on tuesday when I had no interpreter all morning... In my American History class, the teacher was telling all of us what was on the test, most of what the questions were, the answers, etc... and well, yesterday I took the exam, hoping for luck on this since i had not recieved much information on tuesday other than the notes... I got the exam back, and I barely passed with a 67. I usually preform better than that grade if I had an interpreter AND a notetaker. I can't do well with just a notetaker.

:eek:

i truly don't blame u amby u should ask ur teacher for a make up exam as u didn't recive the fair amount of information from the teacher, AND u didn't get ur allotted time with the interpeter and u should give a strict warning to the interpeters that if that are calling in sick do a back up and call the school, AND the case manager to avoid a messy situation like u had, it could have been preventable, failure to do so will result in termination meaning for instance, IF they do not have ur interp for the day or that interp not show up, and already had notifed someone do a double check on everything,
BUT IF they do not show up and just calls the school and NOT the case manger then give them ur last warning. CALL THE CASE MANAGER IF UR NOT GOING TO SHOW UP so they can better prepare u for getting another interp before school starts, We in CA have a strict policy in my hometown IF they don't show up they have to call another interp to cover for them OR, call the DSS ( disablity student service) OR inform the parents of the student that there will be no interp for that day and if the student chose not to show up at school they can be exempt for that day due to possible testing happening or reveiw for a test and u and teacher can set up a time aside to communicate abt previous classes. And the last thing is, if the interp SHOWS UP LATE but doesn't fyi anyone. he/she is gone simple! u will not tolerate tardiness and u would be missing half the class in all aspect. So u and case manager and the school should sit down with some interp and start setting up a back up plans to prevent this from happening i mean amby, u got urself a D all cuz the interp not show up the previous day even tho its barely passing, it just still is uncalled for that can cause ur grades to slip and u in danger of repeating that grade and i know u don't want that! stand up for urself and make the issues with the interp and the case manager AND the School too let ur hands be heard and tell them i may be the only deaf here ( if u are) but i want to be known and heard DO PLEASE get urself backed up cuz i don't want to fail out of class!

AMBY sowwy if i went way in depth here education is very important and i don't want another deafie kid slip thru the mainstream cracks all cuz they just shoved u aside!~

javapride said:
i truly don't blame u amby u should ask ur teacher for a make up exam as u didn't recive the fair amount of information from the teacher, AND u didn't get ur allotted time with the interpeter and u should give a strict warning to the interpeters that if that are calling in sick do a back up and call the school, AND the case manager to avoid a messy situation like u had, it could have been preventable, failure to do so will result in termination meaning for instance, IF they do not have ur interp for the day or that interp not show up, and already had notifed someone do a double check on everything,
BUT IF they do not show up and just calls the school and NOT the case manger then give them ur last warning. CALL THE CASE MANAGER IF UR NOT GOING TO SHOW UP so they can better prepare u for getting another interp before school starts, We in CA have a strict policy in my hometown IF they don't show up they have to call another interp to cover for them OR, call the DSS ( disablity student service) OR inform the parents of the student that there will be no interp for that day and if the student chose not to show up at school they can be exempt for that day due to possible testing happening or reveiw for a test and u and teacher can set up a time aside to communicate abt previous classes. And the last thing is, if the interp SHOWS UP LATE but doesn't fyi anyone. he/she is gone simple! u will not tolerate tardiness and u would be missing half the class in all aspect. So u and case manager and the school should sit down with some interp and start setting up a back up plans to prevent this from happening i mean amby, u got urself a D all cuz the interp not show up the previous day even tho its barely passing, it just still is uncalled for that can cause ur grades to slip and u in danger of repeating that grade and i know u don't want that! stand up for urself and make the issues with the interp and the case manager AND the School too let ur hands be heard and tell them i may be the only deaf here ( if u are) but i want to be known and heard DO PLEASE get urself backed up cuz i don't want to fail out of class!

AMBY sowwy if i went way in depth here education is very important and i don't want another deafie kid slip thru the mainstream cracks all cuz they just shoved u aside!~

Java,

My interpreter DID call the cse manager- the cse manager IS the one that is responsible to call in to another agency for a sub interpreter. It was not my interpeter's fault; it was my cse manager. She "forgot", and yes- I am putting in some words about it. My mom is bein an idiot sometimes- currently she's telling me that IF it does happen again, she will call the school, but I'd rather have her CALL NOW rather than for the next time. On Monday, my sub interpreter was late for some apparent reason- of course I was a bit upset, but I thought... well... it's better than having NO interpreter, ya know? I'm thinking of calling my agency- the one that obtains my sub interpreters, and have a "talk" with her, and see what she thinks. How can I ask my teacher for a make-up exam? My CSE manager IS the school and the person who calls in for my sub interpreters- towards the agency, that is.
Ive been trying to stand up with the school- they're givin me a hard time lately, thinking that it aint... bunch of bull.

Amby :dunno: :ugh2:

instering... i'm glad it never happened to me.. sounds like a lame..

the school i go to has about 7 to 10 interpreter.. since it's a deaf program there.. and whenever interpreter doesn't show up there's a back-up in the office.. so that's why i never experience that problem..

I know it was problem for Interpreter was sick. I know that she forgot. She was responsible for her to call for substitute. If she not get there for interpreter then, can go home. As far that the main office know that was an interpreter not there.

You should give them the silent treatment & long stare look for not giving you the interpreator when you need it..

I went to a mainstream school in the UK where I live and this school had what they called a Deaf Unit with 3 support teachers. None of those had any knowledge of sign language whatsoever. Everytime I went to my History or English class I just concentrated on my teacher while one of the support teachers took notes for me but I had a feeling that the support teacher wasn't taking note of a lot of things. Lip-reading the teacher who was explaining things does get a bit tiring and you lose concentration. I found it easier to concentrate in the Deaf Unit with my other deaf friends rather than in the classroom with others. Only time I was in the deaf unit was when I had French and other foriegn language classes. I never took any other language apart from English.

I have never had an interpreter in any of my classes during my schooling. Only time I had one was when I left school and went to college did I then have an interpreter. Sometimes I wonder whether my schooling would have been a lot better did I have an interpreter.

Anne

I'm really glad that you were able to obtain all of the education that you were able to, even although you did not have an interpreter. These days, it's neccessary to have one with how the teachers speak nowadays.

Amby

Anne said:
I went to a mainstream school in the UK where I live and this school had what they called a Deaf Unit with 3 support teachers. None of those had any knowledge of sign language whatsoever. Everytime I went to my History or English class I just concentrated on my teacher while one of the support teachers took notes for me but I had a feeling that the support teacher wasn't taking note of a lot of things. Lip-reading the teacher who was explaining things does get a bit tiring and you lose concentration. I found it easier to concentrate in the Deaf Unit with my other deaf friends rather than in the classroom with others. Only time I was in the deaf unit was when I had French and other foriegn language classes. I never took any other language apart from English.

I have never had an interpreter in any of my classes during my schooling. Only time I had one was when I left school and went to college did I then have an interpreter. Sometimes I wonder whether my schooling would have been a lot better did I have an interpreter.

Anne

Amby said:
I'm really glad that you were able to obtain all of the education that you were able to, even although you did not have an interpreter. These days, it's neccessary to have one with how the teachers speak nowadays.

Amby

I hope you will get well for interpreter a next time!

Back