Please explain why deaf people are proud to be deaf???

Omg. Really? We don't do that on this forum.

Then I apologize. I only meant for her not to go thru life saying wrong things.
I am sorry DeafNerdMommy - I didn't mean to offend you.

Fuzzy

Then I apologize. I only meant for her not to go thru life saying wrong things.
I am sorry DeafNerdMommy - I didn't mean to offend you.

Fuzzy
No its fine haha, I use my phone and sometimes it likes to use other words and I just reply quickly at work so I don't spell check hehehe

I had to learn to be proud on the other hand being Deaf for me was excepting the things . That god has allowed to happen to me in this life all my Deaf friends helped me understand it all .. if not I wouldn't be deaf I would just be a deaf person audiologicly but with no culture of the deaf community. It's a process for some .today I can proudly say I'm Deaf with no shame .

I'm not so proud of being deaf per se as I'm proud of my abilities to cope with its problems--working on speechreading 'cause every hearie communicated differently, keeping up on the latest ASL (including regional differences) to help when meeting other deafies, staying abreast of latest technology for deaf distance communication and safety alert devises.

I'm not so proud of being deaf per se as I'm proud of my abilities to cope with its problems--working on speechreading 'cause every hearie communicated differently, keeping up on the latest ASL (including regional differences) to help when meeting other deafies, staying abreast of latest technology for deaf distance communication and safety alert devises.

This is the attitude I like. I am troubled by those that have decided they do not want to try to find a way to hear (or hear better) and don't want others to either. This needs to be an individual decision - please accept that not everyone is gong to make the same one.

This is the attitude I like. I am troubled by those that have decided they do not want to try to find a way to hear (or hear better) and don't want others to either. This needs to be an individual decision - please accept that not everyone is gong to make the same one.

Not everyone is interested in being able to "hear" so why would you be troubled by their own personal choices?

Not everyone is interested in being able to "hear" so why would you be troubled by their own personal choices?

I was having trouble with how to describe this. I have come across people on the forum the don't want to hear (which is fine) but don't want others to want to either. It is when they condemn others for wanting to that I feel they cross the line.

Dear AlleyCat,

This much is true.

I don't know anything about being deaf -- I'm a hearie. I do know about "having differences," though, that is, from what I perceive as the norm. I have read what other deaf writers describe and I understand that in alldeaf (here) it's a culture of support for what is normal to deaf people.

On a personal note, I have a family member who was born with clef palate, so he really had two smiles, one horizontal (normal) and one vertical. Immediately following the corrective surgery that "removed" the second smile was I felt something was missing as I had already begun to love him the way he was.

So, while I can understand your $%*!@? about the challenges of deaf-ness, I think that even were you to not have deafness, you might find instances to $%*!@? about something else, no?

That much is true.

Dear, @AlanKinNA

A hearie comming to this AllDeaf forum and giving $%*!@? to one of its deaf members (@AlleyCat )? Really!?
Why don't you take your $%*!@? and shove it where the $%*!@? sun don't shine?

I don't understand why deaf people are proud to be deaf.

I hate hate being deaf.

Can't do stuff that requires hearing.

Lawsuit settlements with hospital takes forever.....

Autocorrect doesn't recognize word deaf and corrects it to dead.

Please explain why people like being deaf???

If I offended you I didn't mean to. Just curious why????

Hi,
I lived in both hearing n deaf world. The hearing world is nice for some things I know. But honestly with the way the world is going. So loud, do much drama n craziness. I consider it a blessing that God doesn't want me to hear the evil. I am deaf for 15yrs. I love my deaf world n only want to hear when I'm at work. Life for the deaf gets better everyday because we are multipling at a quick rate because the world is so loud. It's getting easier to communicate because so many are trying to help us now by learning ASL and inventing technology to help us communicate with the rest of the world. We are no longer in our own lil world. Appreciate who you are n love yourself for who God mean for you to be. He doesn't want you to hear the evil. You are blessed in more ways then you know. How many people in bad situations wish they could stop hearing the evil things they hear. I'm proud because he picked me. I love my quiet world.

Be glad to be yourself, with all the abilities that you do have. Sure deafness has limitations but we can limit ourselves by our attitudes, either can do or can't do. Being proud of deafness -- I really think it is just accepting our deafness and excelling at being our own person.

Seriously, I have to wonder why this particular topic was even introduced. It seems rather negative to me. Perhaps someone had a bad day.

I lost my hearing after 38yrs. It is hard to deal with at first but we need to find a way that makes it easier to understand.

I can imagine your situation; however, I've never been hearing in my life. Lucky to have a tiny amount of hearing in both ears and lucky to be able to speak eloquently just like every hearing person.

Last edited:

I hate hate being deaf.

Never understood this myself. I'm no more "proud" of being deaf than I am of having learning disabilities. It required no effort on my part. What I am proud of is my ability to exceed my limitations.

Laura

I think "proud to be deaf" isn't really the term that we are describing. It is more like proud to have overcome the challenge that deafness brings upon oneself. Altho I am not proud to be deaf it is something that I have no control over than to deal with it and make my life as best as possible in spite of it. I sometimes look at hearing people and the stresses they face that are similar to mine even tho they hear fine we are all in the same boat. The ability to adapt to ones situation and be proud of yourself inspite of your limitations is what this is all about. Complaining and cry babying isn't getting anyone anyplace. Reminding myself that there are others in this world that have it way worse than me sets me straight alot of the time. Besides I do alot better than most of the people that hear fine that I know. Life is what you make it to be..be proud of yourself, not being deaf...it is a part of you!

I hate hate being deaf.

Because it is your culture you should be proud, it's something you can't change about yourself, I'm islander I'll never be able to change that but because I'm confused for other races I create and acquire a hardship that I never meant Or wanted to have but because I continuously go past it I am proud of who I am and what my people come from and you should be too it's harder for you yes, but the fact that you are still thriving member of society without letting your deafness take control and debilitate you, that is what you should be proud of and I am positive that is what makes so many people proud to be deaf, it is not the disability because it is not a disability, it is the culture that is behind the word

Deaf Pride - because there is a lot more to being Deaf than 'not being able to hear'. It's Identity, Culture, Language, and History.

Back